3. Status quo
4. With the loss of DB and "da Snake" we are not quite as good"
5. We will be the worst team in the league

OP
OP
PortlandCardFan

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
First poll. Made a couple mistakes but you get the Idea.

I say we are a little better. Good enough for a 7-9 to 9-7 record.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The 2003 Cards will be about as bad, if not worse, than the 2002 Cards at the end of the season. The 2002 Cards Week 1 starting lineup was better, though, so I voted that they're worse.

I think that, with a shiny new coach (with our luck, Larry Marmie [hope you're happy, ASU fans!]) and coaching staff, the 2004 Cards will be contenders, but Mac is looking at a crappy season and his resume at the end of 2003.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It depends on when you ask (what part of last season).

I think, overall we are better, no doubt in my mind, but we NOW lack a big time offensive threat, and we still don't have a proven pass rusher or a legitimate shutdown corner or second corner.

Our special teams, fullback, Safety, overall wideout quality, defensive end, offensive line, have all been improved.

Top wideout quality is the only thing that has taken a step back.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
The 2003 Cards will be about as bad, if not worse, than the 2002 Cards at the end of the season. The 2002 Cards Week 1 starting lineup was better, though, so I voted that they're worse.

So... they're the better or worse as the end of last year?

I'm dumb this morning.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
I think, overall we are better, no doubt in my mind, but we NOW lack a big time offensive threat, and we still don't have a proven pass rusher or a legitimate shutdown corner or second corner.

Our special teams, fullback, Safety, overall wideout quality, defensive end, offensive line, have all been improved.

Top wideout quality is the only thing that has taken a step back.

C'mon, we have "the best running back ever to play the game"! How is that not a "big time offensive threat"?

In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic.

We actually have a legitimate second corner and nickel corner. They're Duane Starks and David Barrett. Unfortunately, we don't have an Aeneas Williams/Champ Bailey/Charles Woodson-type corner (though, who really does besides the Rams, Redskins, and Raiders), so these lesser guys are playing spots that they're not talented enough for.

I think that, if we're talking about the Cards in Week 1 of 2002, this is a worse team by far. DB, Sanders, and Mar Tay is way better than whoever we're going to start. There are still questions about this year's O-line (Aren't Big, LJ, and Clement all down with injuries still?), but the healthy starting O-Line of 2002 had the potential to be dominant.

If you're talking about the team at the end of 2002, I think the 2003 squad will be marginally better. About the same at RB, far inferior WR corps, but a marginally better, but far better-fitting, QB helps make up for that a little, and a D that is essentially the same. I think that its the complementary additions at complementary positions (S, FB) that make the 2003 squad (assuming that everyone gets signed in time for a little camp) marginally better than the 2002 squad of December.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I think that, with a shiny new coach (with our luck, Larry Marmie [hope you're happy, ASU fans!]) and coaching staff, the 2004 Cards will be contenders, but Mac is looking at a crappy season and his resume at the end of 2003.

I don't see how we can be worse than the end of last season....but we might be worse than the beginning of last of season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You answered my question before I could ask it. :D

See I think that Frank and Mar Tay aren't that big of losses, and at this point aren't that much better than Kasper and McAddley, but that is another topic.

Emmitt is an improvement over Thomas Jones.
Hodgins is an improvement over Mackovicka
Dexter Jackson is an improvement over Kwamie
Garcia is an improvement over Grutts by injury default
Blake is an improvement over Plummer.
Hayes is an improvement over Rutledge
Johnson and Boldin, though raw are an improvement over declining Frank Sanders and equally raw Jenkins.

With all this said....I still see another losing season and a top ten draft pick again next spring....:(

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think it very debateable whether the week 1 team last year was better than this.
For one reason, that's still a long way off yet this year. We don't even know for sure yet exactly who the starters are going to be.
Granted, losing Boston hurt, but Blake instead of Jake...only time is going to tell. As much of a Jake supporter as I was, I'm beginning to think that Blake is a better fit.
I also agree that yes, last years team probably SHOULD have been better, but a lot of disappointing things happened...mostly injuries.
However, Kwamie sulked and tanked. The Bryant fiasco...TJ....

As for the the rest of the year, I don't expect an injury run anywhere near what happened last year, and that alone, should make this team better. I think Emmitt/Shipp is better than TJ/Shipp. There is more depth on both sides of the ball. Some of the bad attitudes are gone.

I also must totally disagree in regard to Mac. I say he will be here 2 more year MINIMUM. All the assistant coaches contracts were rewritten to coincide with Mac's 2 years remaining. That tells me, he's not walking on as thin of ice as some seem to be promoting.
There has been NOTHING, nothing at all to indicate he doesn't have Bidwill's total confidence, and that there will be no changes before his present contract is up.

If by then, the team hasn't shown improvement....yeah OK.
But this garbage about him not being around for another year is just that....pure speculative, unsubstantiated garbage.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't know if it's total garbage, unsubstantiated, yes, but Mac's got to feel under the gun, especially if he has another season of five wins or less. How long can one expect no improvement whatsoever and players quitting on the team at the end of the season, without holding someone accountable?

Injuries seem to "decimate" this team every year, and every offseason we say "well, it can't possibly be as bad as it was last year", but they always happen. We've done some things to address the problem of depth this offseason, but there's still a lot of dropoff between Raynoch and Darling, for example. Or DJax and Stone. But, up and down the depth chart, we've improved, as I said before, starters at complementary positions (S, FB), but haven't installed any gamebreakers at skill positions, and, aside from switching "system" QBs, our WR corps is markedly more inexperienced (which, especially at WR, means "worse," if not necessarily "less talented"), while at the same time failing to significantly address our two largest problems on defense: a porious middle and lackluster pass rush.

Honestly, if the Cards go 5-11 this season and get blown out of the last four games by 30 points, can you not hold the head coach responsible? Who do you hold responsible?

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Last year the team went 5-11 with a ton of devastating injuries.
I don't buy the argument that every year they are an excuse....Certainly not like last year. Not only the number of injuries....but WHO they were.
I don't see any players tanking this year like last.
I don't see any bad attitudes, in fact just the opposite.

This years schedule appears easier to me that last years.

so no...I really doubt this team will go 5-11 again.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Honestly, if the Cards go 5-11 this season and get blown out of the last four games by 30 points, can you not hold the head coach responsible? Who do you hold responsible?

Fair question.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
Last year the team went 5-11 with a ton of devastating injuries.
I don't buy the argument that every year they are an excuse....Certainly not like last year. Not only the number of injuries....but WHO they were.
I don't see any players tanking this year like last.
I don't see any bad attitudes, in fact just the opposite.

This years schedule appears easier to me that last years.

so no...I really doubt this team will go 5-11 again.

Really? You don't see the possiblity that contract negotiations with the #1s could drag out into the season, and get ugly? You don't see Adrian or Raynoch getting bitter about playing on a team that underperforms, and getting no support from the D-Line? You don't see the possiblity of Blake getting angry at tons of dropped passes and missed routes from inexperienced WRs, and calling players out in the paper? You don't see the possibility of Shelton's shoulder going out again? Or Big's knee?

Even those things notwithstanding, if we go 5-11 again, and get blown out by 20-30 points in the last three or four games, you'd be happy bringing back the entire coaching staff from this season, and giving them another chance? What's that quote from Einstein? "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"??

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can't tell who's on more crack......the "we are the worst team in the league" people or the "hell yeah" people!

I mean, we got better, that's obvious. But did we become a playoff contender? Eh, I don't know about that. We have nothing proven at DL or WR. Have to wait and see at those positions.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kerouac, you have stated before, I believe, that you are more of a Falcon's fan than a Card's fan.

Your post's certainly back that up.

You play all these "what if" games....all these negative "possibilities"......What if Shelton's shoulder goes out...Big's knees...protracted non signinings etc...and the most childish one of all...the Blake getting mad one.....

Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ. Talk about negative.

Hell ANYTHING is possible, with any one, on any team.

For you to dwell on nothing but these remote, at best, "possibilities" and not mention a single positive one demonstrates to me where your head is really at in regards to this team.

How about some of these "possibilities" :
Emmitt Smith proves that with a decent O-line he's not so far over the hill.
Jeff Blake proves he really is a good QB and shows why.
Wendell Bryant starts playing more to his potential.
Big is all Pro.
Duane Starks has a great year.
Adrian Wilson becomes more consistantly effective.
....to name just a few.

AzWins23

Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
You answered my question before I could ask it. :D

See I think that Frank and Mar Tay aren't that big of losses, and at this point aren't that much better than Kasper and McAddley, but that is another topic.

Emmitt is an improvement over Thomas Jones.
Hodgins is an improvement over Mackovicka
Dexter Jackson is an improvement over Kwamie
Garcia is an improvement over Grutts by injury default
Blake is an improvement over Plummer.
Hayes is an improvement over Rutledge
Johnson and Boldin, though raw are an improvement over declining Frank Sanders and equally raw Jenkins.

With all this said....I still see another losing season and a top ten draft pick again next spring....:(

I don't think Jackson is an upgrade of Lassiter....If you go by age, and keeping his mouth shut...Then Yea he is....But if you go by Stats, Lassiter is way better

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
All right, forget all the other stuff. You were calling me out on Davey Mac being on the hot seat this year. Let's get back to that:

If the Cards again go 5-11 and get blown out in the last four games, or are generally not competitive in the losses, will you be happy if the entire coaching staff returns for 2004, and not want someone to be held responsible?

This scenario is definately possible, and I'm interested in everyone's opinion on this question. Do you think that after another stinker season under the Mac regime, that the regime should be allowed to return intact?

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lassiter was good before his attitude went bad....he didn't do squat last year....enough said.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All right, forget all the other stuff. You were calling me out on Davey Mac being on the hot seat this year. Let's get back to that:

If the Cards again go 5-11 and get blown out in the last four games, or are generally not competitive in the losses, will you be happy if the entire coaching staff returns for 2004, and not want someone to be held responsible?

This scenario is definately possible, and I'm interested in everyone's opinion on this question. Do you think that after another stinker season under the Mac regime, that the regime should be allowed to return intact?

So why do you keep insisting that the Cards are going to get blown out and not be competitive the last 4 games?
Contrary to what you say....that is not "definately possible". If for some reason this season ends bad, then there will have been a reason for it...just like last year...and that would have to be evaluated at that point.
For you to keep maintaining its literally a sure thing is totally asinine.
In the first place, I say it's NOT going to happen, and secondly if the record does not improve then the whole situation will indeed need evaluated...if and when it should occur.

AzWins23

Reaction score
Lassiter was good before his attitude went bad....he didn't do squat last year....enough said.

Give me Lassiter any day

Jackson's Last 4 years in the NFL

1999- Int's 0
2000- Int's 0
2001- Int's 4
2002- Int's 3

Lassiter' Last 4 years in the NFL

1999- Int's 2
2000- Int's 1
2001- Int's 9
2002- Int's 2

I'am just saying that Lassiter is better that's all....I'am also not downplaying Jackson.....By Stat's an experience you have to go with Lassiter

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So why do you keep insisting that the Cards are going to get blown out and not be competitive the last 4 games?
Contrary to what you say....that is not "definately possible". If for some reason this season ends bad, then there will have been a reason for it...just like last year...and that would have to be evaluated at that point.
For you to keep maintaining its literally a sure thing is totally asinine.
In the first place, I say it's NOT going to happen, and secondly if the record does not improve then the whole situation will indeed need evaluated...if and when it should occur.

I don't know where I said that "its literally a sure thing". I said that if it happens again, Mac's job will be terminated. You said there was no such thing. I asked you if you think that no one should be held responsible should the results of last year be repeated. This isn't a question about me thinking the Cards are going to be awful next season (which I don't), it's a question about whether there's a point where you think that the current situation isn't working, and ask for someone to be held accountable. Can you not answer this question: Is there a scenario that you can imagine in which Coach Mac is fired at the end of the season?

I can imagine such a scenario, and I believe this Mac has been put in a situation this season where it will be nearly impossible for him to be successful (say, a 9-7 season). If he leads the team to a 5-11 record and they're not competitive, I will be the first to say that it's not working out and he should be fired. It won't be his fault, but there's a point (and it may come at the end of this season) where you have to say things just aren't working out.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And just look at all the attention he's getting on the free agent market.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can imagine such a scenario, and I believe this Mac has been put in a situation this season where it will be nearly impossible for him to be successful (say, a 9-7 season).
<p>kerouac9----With the easy schedule the Cards have this year and the definite improvements on both sides of the ball, why are you saying 9 wins is an impossibility? We all know about the problems the Rams are having. The 49ers are going to be in disarray, especially early in the season because of their new coach. The Seahawks might have improved somewhat, but they are still very beatable especially when they're not playing at their stadium. The Cards should at least split the series with these 3 division rivals. And there is no way you can convince me that the Bengals, Lions, Cowboys, Browns and Bears have improved to the point of where the Cards can't beat them. Then give the Cards home field advantage over Minnesota in the final game of the year when the Cards have jelled into a cohesive unit, and that game could very easily be won by the Cards. 9 wins without having to beat the Packers, Ravens, Panthers or Steelers. And if they get lucky and beat one of those teams (Panthers), you could be looking at a 10 win season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by 40yearfan
<p>kerouac9----With the easy schedule the Cards have this year and the definite improvements on both sides of the ball, why are you saying 9 wins is an impossibility? We all know about the problems the Rams are having. The 49ers are going to be in disarray, especially early in the season because of their new coach. The Seahawks might have improved somewhat, but they are still very beatable especially when they're not playing at their stadium. The Cards should at least split the series with these 3 division rivals. And there is no way you can convince me that the Bengals, Lions, Cowboys, Browns and Bears have improved to the point of where the Cards can't beat them. Then give the Cards home field advantage over Minnesota in the final game of the year when the Cards have jelled into a cohesive unit, and that game could very easily be won by the Cards. 9 wins without having to beat the Packers, Ravens, Panthers or Steelers. And if they get lucky and beat one of those teams (Panthers), you could be looking at a 10 win season.

No, I'm not saying that. But look at your list. First, I think a .500 record in the division is really wishful thinking (I think we get swept by the Rams and the Seahawks), but we'll take it as a given. That makes us 3-3. I'm not saying that the Cards can't beat Cincy, Detriot, Dallas, Cleveland, and Chicago, but I don't think we can beat all of them (considering how close the game with the Lions, and the fact that I think they've improves more and faster than we have in the offseason, I think we'll lose to them). Say we beat Cincy and Chicago, but lose to Detroit (for reasons noted above), Cleveland (short passes and no pass rush will kill us), and Dallas (we're totally outcoached). That makes us 5-6. Take the "not having to beat" the last four teams, which should totally outclass us (even Tango has to think that we can't beat the Steelers; we barely beat the Panthers, and they're better; and the Packers game will be a home game for them). The Ravens game is a toss-up, so we'll give it to the Cards. That makes us 6-10.

Are you a happy fan with another Top 10 draft pick? Should you deamand someone be held responsible?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give you my prediction. I think by week 10 of this year we'll all be talking about the vastly improved defense, we won't be killing QB's mind you but we'll be giving up fewer points and staying in games. The offense will miss Boston but we'll be able to run the ball and Blake will make some big plays downfield.

Someone will comment if only the defense and running game had been this good when we had Jake, and then my head will explode (-:

Because one of the primary reasons I expect better defense and better running is Jake is gone and we won't have to defend as many short fields after picks, and won't have to run against stacked defenses as often. Sure the inexperienced WR's will allow some teams to play 8 in the box against us early but I think by week 10 Blake will be hitting big plays against that defense enough to take it away from opponents.

I think we can win 8 games if the OL and Blake stay healthy. Putting together this many new pieces takes time and if we have holdouts in camp that will be difficult to overcome, but I really believe this team will be better than last years team even without Boston.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson