District 9

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sad all the poor reviews by people on here. This along with Avatar (and maybe even Watchmen) have made 2009 the best sci-fi year since at least 1997 (when Dark City was released)--and maybe since 1992 when T2 came out.

Watched it again tonight on Blu-Ray and it really is a brilliant movie. Totally gripping and impeccably made. Yes, there were a lot of "exploding heads", but really they were exploding bodies, not heads.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Chap but there is nothing "gripping" about this one. Avatar we can totally agree on. Not this sadly.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched it again tonight on Blu-Ray and it really is a brilliant movie. Totally gripping and impeccably made. Yes, there were a lot of "exploding heads", but really they were exploding bodies, not heads.

To be sure, that wasn't a criticism but a personal preference. Not a big fan of pulp, which is why I'm so resistant to Tarantino (well ... that and Tarantino has too much monologue in his dialogue).

In general, I agree with your assessment. An excellent sci-fi flick.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched this tonight. I loved it and found it very funny in parts as well. I liked this better than Avatar.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dude.... This movie was INSANE!

Really don't ever plan on watching it again though.

Very original.... Very Realistic for Sci-Fi.

All the exploding people was quite off-putting though.

I think the main charachter was cast perfectly.

Crazy Crazy Crazy Flick.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Not what I was expecting, but I thought it was great! One of the top three movies I've seen from 2009.

edit: The wife thought it was excellent, as well.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:thumbup::thumbup:

Only complain about this movie that I have is the scenes of Wikus vomiting.:barf:

I have a week stomach.:(

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad all the poor reviews by people on here. This along with Avatar (and maybe even Watchmen) have made 2009 the best sci-fi year since at least 1997 (when Dark City was released)--and maybe since 1992 when T2 came out.

I really enjoyed this movie but admit it started really slow. Almost ruined the movie for me. However, it was worth buying so I bought it on Blu Ray.

Even with Avatar not my favorite Sci-fi year.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I thought this movie was kinda boring. I had a hard time staying awake.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I thought this movie was kinda boring. I had a hard time staying awake.

Its a good sized minority.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Count me in that minority as well. Didn't like it...too slow and too many holes in the story for me. Fun action stuff for 5 minutes...otherwise just booooring.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I recently watched it. I was expecting to really like this film but I just couldn't get into it. If they do make a sequel I'll give it a second chance.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently watched it. I was expecting to really like this film but I just couldn't get into it. If they do make a sequel I'll give it a second chance.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Join. It was like a tv movie. Okay, but kinda iffy.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first movie was borderline enjoyable. It was OK but there was something I simply could not get into. Maybe sequel will be better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn