Diana Taurasi to take 2015 season off

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Diana Taurasi, the greatest star among stars on the Phoenix Mercury, is taking the 2015 NBA season off to rest from playing year-round basketball. She will be back for the 2016 season.

I believe that, with Brittney Griner having reached superstar status and anchoring a very good roster, it will be a fun and successful season for the Mercury and their fans.

And I look forward to a rested Diana Taurasi returning to an even better Mercury team for the 2016 season.

http://www.wnba.com/mercury/news/Taurasi_letter_150203.html

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taurasi makes just $107,000 in the U.S., but makes nearly 15 times that playing for UMMC Ekaterinburg, with a salary of nearly $1.5 million in Russia.

Linky

Can't say I blame her.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea women's basketball overseas was that big. It makes the WNBA look small time in that the Mercury cannot offer the same salary to keep her home.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Linky

Can't say I blame her.

Here is a more detailed article about life in Russia for these athletes...

Boivin: 1.5 million explanations for Taurasi's decision

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...-russia-contract-leave-wnba-mercury/22819813/

An article several years ago by ESPN's Jim Caple shared this paragraph about the experience of Taurasi and Seattle's Sue Bird living in Russia:

"From December to mid-May, the two former UConn teammates were back together, living in a rent-free, six-bedroom villa only slight smaller than the Kremlin, so lavish it included an indoor swimming pool and a sauna. They had a part-time cook. They had an interpreter. They had personal drivers. They received three round-trip, business-class flights between the United States and Moscow during the season. They regularly flew business class or charter for road games."

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't meant to be a joke. But I'm actually surprised Russia is paying so much for lesbians to play a game when their president is so anti gay.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This isn't meant to be a joke. But I'm actually surprised Russia is paying so much for lesbians to play a game when their president is so anti gay.
I don't buy your premise that WNBA = "lesbians".

But even if some WNBA players are, since when has the "good ol' boy network" not made money by using minorities?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
The Russians aren't making money, at least not from the product ..... It's a competitive situation amongst their network...... Kind of like fantasy women's basketball with a much larger buy in and I'm sure some interesting side wagers

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard