Diamondbacks vs Rockies series thread

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
in the 50s? looks like nice weather to me.. then again it's still winter here in ND..

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
Offense seems a bit chilly losing tonight 3-1. 4:00 am arrival from NY didn't help either as the Rockies are on fire at home to start the season. I will say I'm getting bored with Pennington's bat. If Didi keeps producing (2-3 tonight), Pennington will rest when Hill comes back.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Not having Kubel and Hill is really starting to hurt.

Just need to hover a little above .500 while they're out.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I will say I'm getting bored with Pennington's bat. If Didi keeps producing (2-3 tonight), Pennington will rest when Hill comes back.
I must admit that when Didi hit the line drive homerun in his first D'back at-bat, after observing that every first pitch until then had been a fastball, then showed the power of his arm on a throw to 1B, I said to the TV, "Ladies and gentlemen, we have a shortstop."

With his fielding reputation and what he did with the bat rehabbing, I was hoping that would be the case.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am trying to understand Miguel Montero. Everyone knows that he is at his best when he is hitting the ball where it is pitched. In other words, quite often to LF, the opposite field.

During his slump, he is trying to pull everything. Including outside pitches off the plate with a goofy swing. When a lefty hitter tries to pull outside pitches, he is going to ground out to 2B, just as he did all night in this first game vs. the Rockies.

Miggy has obviously gotten caught up in the "I'm batting cleanup -- I have to pull everything" syndrome. Didn't you hear Miguel, we're playing gritty baseball this season. Batting cleanup, 2nd or 7th is just another place in the batting order.

Just because Taco Bell named one after you, it doesn't mean you have to try for 6 RBI's every at-bat?

Gibby needs to drop him out of cleanup before he drops below the Mendoza line. We're counting on him to be an RBI leader, as he was last year, without hitting a ton of home runs.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
On the lighter side

The AzRepublic in their sports section uses the standings and box scores from the night before from their sister paper, USA Today.

'Looks like the person who does the standings is a D'backs fan who snuck one by the editor.

In the NL West, the Giants with a W-L record of 10-7 and a Pct. of .588, 2 1/2 games behind whom they show in 3rd place . . .

While the Diamondbacks with a W-L record of 9-7 and a Pct. of .563, 3 games behind show in 2nd place. :)

Go D'backs.

Attachments

• Standings.jpg
    Standings.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another loss to the Rockies 4-3.

Dear offense, please come back.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Haven't you heard? You don't need offense in the NL. You just need grit.
That's funny, but no one said you don't need offense. Just line drive hitters vs. popup hitters.

Unfortunately, our right-handed bench platoon that started tonight is neither. They are just weak hitters. That's partially due to injuries. Hill and Bloomquist are both right-handed hitters.

I was pulling for Rod Barajas to win the the righty backup Catcher job over Wil Nieves during spring training.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Brandon McCarthy needs to really step it up today. He has been really bad and we need to win this one.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's funny, but no one said you don't need offense. Just line drive hitters vs. popup hitters.

Unfortunately, our right-handed bench platoon that started tonight is neither. They are just weak hitters. That's partially due to injuries. Hill and Bloomquist are both right-handed hitters.

I was pulling for Rod Barajas to win the the righty backup Catcher job over Wil Nieves during spring training.

I know - just frustrated watching this weak lineup. The one that was "designed" to move runners around the bases. The one that is dead last, or nearly so, in a couple RISP stats.

But, in actuality, they have scored enough runs (4.64 rpg) to have a much better record. It's their pitching and handling of pitchers (staff, pull, not pull, etc) that I think has been pretty poor.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Remember, this team was doing REALLY well offensively until both Kubel and Hill went down. Totally different lineup without them.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember, this team was doing REALLY well offensively until both Kubel and Hill went down. Totally different lineup without them.

Yes and don't forget Eaton is out. So they are down 1/3 their starting lineup.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but Upton would lead the team in RBIs right now.
Of course he was being sarcastic. But, tell me, if Upton would lead the D'backs in RBI's right now, why didn't he last year while batting 3rd and 5th for us.

Unfortunately, to think that Justin would be leading us in RBI's right now has no basis.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Of course he was being sarcastic. But, tell me, if Upton would lead the D'backs in RBI's right now, why didn't he last year while batting 3rd and 5th for us.

Unfortunately, to think that Justin would be leading us in RBI's right now has no basis.

Thumb injury. And the constant talk of being traded. Upton the year before was being talked about as a MVP candidate.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

What really has no basis is the constant justification and rationalization for trading a high-value player and doing so for seemingly pennies on the dollar. I have yet to find a level-headed baseball mind with no rooting interest in the team to tell me that it was a fair deal. Just cognitive dissonance by Diamondback fans trying to convince each other that somehow he isn't that good. LOL

He didn't do it last season for us because he played the entire season with a nagging thumb injury, which explain the sudden drop in power numbers. In addition to which, he had the constant distraction from the local media, fans, and ownership that he was on the trading block. That happened for two years. Even with that said, he still posted a .355 OBP and led the team in runs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison