Devin Booker Max Extension Confirmed

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like sour grapes....

That or delusions. He brought us back single handedly and he did much of that against the starters. And he had the full attention of their defense and they still couldn't stop him. Yes, the team and Booker helped pad his stats at the absolute end but that happens every time someone goes off like this. And it only accounts for a few of his 70 points. It was an incredible performance.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Not sure where else to put this, and doesn't really deserve it's own thread, but Booker, Ariza and TJ Warren at UCLA again:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Again, Booker and Ariza on the same team, Warren on a different one.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Having hand surgery, out indefinitely.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's the same hand problem he dealt with last season. The one some people insisted was just part of the tank. Watching him in warmups during the "tank" though, it was clearly a problem. Now, of course, he and the organization waited so long it will likely impact this season too. I know the wait wasn't intentional but it's a damned shame.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah that's the same hand problem he dealt with last season. The one some people insisted was just part of the tank. Watching him in warmups during the "tank" though, it was clearly a problem. Now, of course, he and the organization waited so long it will likely impact this season too. I know the wait wasn't intentional but it's a damned shame.

Didn’t seem like a problem for Team USA practices and scrimmages at UCLA. Maybe he re-injured it recently?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t seem like a problem for Team USA practices and scrimmages at UCLA. Maybe he re-injured it recently?

Probably. Keep in mind he played through the injury for awhile and then exacerbated it which led to him sitting out the rest of the season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The need for a PG is that much greater now since Booker can't be counted on to cover that position. I don't want to think the worst about this but there is definitely some questionable timing behind this. I know he sat for a hand injury last season. He looked fine with Team USA and other practices just a week or so back. I would assume he reinjured it somehow since he's electing for surgery now after playing a good amount of basketball this offseason already. I hope it was reinjured rather than delaying it to happen on the Suns time rather than his own like Shaq used to talk about doing.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The need for a PG is that much greater now since Booker can't be counted on to cover that position. I don't want to think the worst about this but there is definitely some questionable timing behind this. I know he sat for a hand injury last season. He looked fine with Team USA and other practices just a week or so back. I would assume he reinjured it somehow since he's electing for surgery now after playing a good amount of basketball this offseason already. I hope it was reinjured rather than delaying it to happen on the Suns time rather than his own like Shaq used to talk about doing.
It goes without saying that none of us wanted to see Devin miss camp and, whenever he returns, have to work his way back.

For a young man, he has had some injuries, which is why I have been adamant that our best shooter shouldn't, nor be counted on to, cover lead Point Guard as well.

Now that is has happened, I agree with you completely that the need for a (lead) Point Guard is that much greater.

Now the Front Office is forced to do what they should have done by now. That is sad commentary. Just as waiting until now to decide on Booker's surgery from last year's injury.

And it looks like Warrens's scoring becomes important to start the season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Woj is saying that Booker's hand swelled up recently, which is what caused the need for surgery. That's troublesome but a little less worrisome. The timing sucks but I'm glad this doesn't appear to be a power play on his part, delaying surgery until closer to the season to rehab on the Suns times rather than his own.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woj is saying that Booker's hand swelled up recently, which is what caused the need for surgery. That's troublesome but a little less worrisome. The timing sucks but I'm glad this doesn't appear to be a power play on his part, delaying surgery until closer to the season to rehab on the Suns times rather than his own.

I would have never even thought of something like this, he just doesn't seem the type.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I doubt he is going to miss any real games, but if his hand is actually hurt bad enough for him to miss meaningful time in the last thing we need to do is panic trade.

Continue down the course as set. Whatever moves they make or don't make should have nothing to do with Booker missing some time at the begining of a season that most would be happy to merely win 30-35 games.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt he is going to miss any real games, but if his hand is actually hurt bad enough for him to miss meaningful time in the last thing we need to do is panic trade.

Continue down the course as set. Whatever moves they make or don't make should have nothing to do with Booker missing some time at the begining of a season that most would be happy to merely win 30-35 games.

I agree with that but I'm worried McD is going to pay a premium to acquire middling PG for the team. We don't need to panic and make a move simply because Booker is having surgery but this weakens our leverage in a trade that much more. Now other teams know we don't have a real NBA quality PG and we're also out the other player on our team who might have filled that PG hole for a while until they could find a deal. Other teams that can afford to move a PG are now in position to squeeze as much as possible out of McD in a trade. I hope he holds firm and doesn't overpay for someone but I trust him less now than previous seasons and offseasons.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I agree with that but I'm worried McD is going to pay a premium to acquire middling PG for the team. We don't need to panic and make a move simply because Booker is having surgery but this weakens our leverage in a trade that much more. Now other teams know we don't have a real NBA quality PG and we're also out the other player on our team who might have filled that PG hole for a while until they could find a deal. Other teams that can afford to move a PG are now in position to squeeze as much as possible out of McD in a trade. I hope he holds firm and doesn't overpay for someone but I trust him less now than previous seasons and offseasons.

Yeah, I wasn't really a strong McD critic, until the Houston trade convinced me he is willing to make random trades that serve no constructive purpose whatever. I can definitely see him going all in on some bad move for a mediocre quick fix.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ligament surgery in your hand is a 4-6 week recovery.

Yesterday's surgery was 6 weeks and 2 days til the NBA season starts. I think they just reached a deadline to either let it heal or have surgery.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Injury or no injury... the Suns ARE going to have to overpay for a PG. They boxed themselves into the corner.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Injury or no injury... the Suns ARE going to have to overpay for a PG. They boxed themselves into the corner.

We are well stocked at point guard. It's not like we are trotting out Bender or Chriss simply because we drafted them high. The same was true of Jackson until a few games at the end. Harrison and Canaan were both positive factors when they were on the floor last year and Harrison was a positive factor in SL - Jackson was a disaster in SL, but we can overlook that because it was clear he was trying to do too much. I suppose it's possible the absence of Booker may trigger the same response in Jackson again, but I think Igor will nip that in the bud.
With Booker possibly missing the opening game, we have one proven successful player in Ariza, and he may be moved out of his position. We have a fair idea of what we have in Warren but it's not clear he's a positive contributor - for instance, last season, his +- was worse than the team average of -9.2/48. Beyond that we are betting on the come at every position. I expect Ayton and Bridges will be positive factors as the season goes on and I have hopes for Jackson. For Anderson and Bender it's more like wishful thinking as they've never shown themselves to be positive factors.
With a team like this why is everyone fretting over the PG position? Canaan may take time to come around but I expect Harrison to continue as has done in the past. The odds are that the PG position as it stands will be carrying the rest of the team out of the gate.

Interesting note: Among the nine players whose +- was at or below the team average we are shedding six of them. Len, Ulis, Dudley, House, Williams and Peters. The other three are Booker, Harrison and Canaan. Granted, most of those we shed were low minute players.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
We are well stocked at point guard. It's not like we are trotting out Bender or Chriss simply because we drafted them high. The same was true of Jackson until a few games at the end. Harrison and Canaan were both positive factors when they were on the floor last year and Harrison was a positive factor in SL - Jackson was a disaster in SL, but we can overlook that because it was clear he was trying to do too much. I suppose it's possible the absence of Booker may trigger the same response in Jackson again, but I think Igor will nip that in the bud.
With Booker possibly missing the opening game, we have one proven successful player in Ariza, and he may be moved out of his position. We have a fair idea of what we have in Warren but it's not clear he's a positive contributor - for instance, last season, his +- was worse than the team average of -9.2/48. Beyond that we are betting on the come at every position. I expect Ayton and Bridges will be positive factors as the season goes on and I have hopes for Jackson. For Anderson and Bender it's more like wishful thinking as they've never shown themselves to be positive factors.
With a team like this why is everyone fretting over the PG position? Canaan may take time to come around but I expect Harrison to continue as has done in the past. The odds are that the PG position as it stands will be carrying the rest of the team out of the gate.

Interesting note: Among the nine players whose +- was at or below the team average we are shedding six of them. Len, Ulis, Dudley, House, Williams and Peters. The other three are Booker, Harrison and Canaan. Granted, most of those we shed were low minute players.

And I really like Canaan as a backup, and Harrison as the third PG. Neither is a starter. We are well stocked with backup point guards.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

If our “stable” of point guards are “carrying” us outta the gate we won’t win a game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard