DBook: D stands for defense

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The best DRTG in the NBA right now for a SG belongs to Devin Booker. I know team play impacts this stat a lot, but Book's defensive improvement is huge and is flying under the radar. There is an easy argument that he is the best SG in the league right now given his overall game.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The best DRTG in the NBA right now for a SG belongs to Devin Booker. I know team play impacts this stat a lot, but Book's defensive improvement is huge and is flying under the radar. There is an easy argument that he is the best SG in the league right now given his overall game.

I think he’s the best 2 guard in the league. I think of the young guns: Book, Donovan Mitchell, Zach LaVine are usually grouped together. I think Book is the best defender of that group. I do like Zach a lot though. He’s crazy athletic, as is Donovan.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

That is awesome! I’ve seen the effort but it’s nice to know it’s actually translating. Talk about a leopard changing its spots!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s REALLY impressive the change on the defensive side of the ball from Book. Love the way his game has evolved.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The metric favors centers, that is the only way I see Jokic as #4. It is also interesting that Book is better than Mikal--that doesn't pass the eye test.

Agreed there.

I wonder if minimum games played is keeping Ayton off

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The metric favors centers, that is the only way I see Jokic as #4. It is also interesting that Book is better than Mikal--that doesn't pass the eye test.
Hmm lately that does pass the eye test imo. Again, Bridges is an outstanding team defender and has fantastic recovery ability, but he’s not really a shut down defender imo. Lately I see Booker cutting off drives much more consistently than Bridges.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm going to guess that has a lot to do with Mikal always being tasked with defending the opposing team's best winger.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'm going to guess that has a lot to do with Mikal always being tasked with defending the opposing team's best winger.
Eh, I'm not so sure. Part of the problem with the Suns' defensive scheme is that while Mikal starts on the best wing player, he usually gets switched off early and quickly. It minimizes his impact as an individual defender somewhat.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed there.

I wonder if minimum games played is keeping Ayton off
It is. They are using a minimum of 2k minutes played and Ayton is under 900 minutes so far. His Drtg is 102 which would be 2nd best on the list.

Edit- with even fewer minutes played McGee is at 100 and Bismack is at 101.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Drtg is pretty simple it's just the oppositions points scored per 100 possessions while you are on the court. Good defensive bigs will always have the biggest impact on opposition points allowed based on the role they play. Jokic being #4 isn't that surprising since he has always been a decent defender and has been even better this year.

Elite wing defenders like Mikal are harder to gauge based on opposition points because they are typically at the first line of defense instead of the final line. Even other great perimeter defenders like Smart and Thybulle are in the 106 drtg range. According to these metrics that account for matchup difficulty Mikal is head and shoulders above anyone else in regards to perimeter play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep this stuff coming. Metrics for evaluating effective D are fascinating.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Book is all NBA this summer or next, he will qualify for a supermax extension next summer.

I would have no problem giving it to him. The biggest problem with a supermax is giving it to a low character guy or having it become an albatross because of injury.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Book is all NBA this summer or next, he will qualify for a supermax extension next summer.

I would have no problem giving it to him. The biggest problem with a supermax is giving it to a low character guy or having it become an albatross because of injury.
He’s got a great shot. There are 6 guard slots to choose from. I think Steph and Ja will be locks on the first team unless they fall off or Book keeps averaging 30+. Luka and Trae are gonna be in the mix just because they’re numbers of assists are so high as lead guards. That leaves one of CP3, Book and LaVine for the last 2 guard spots (DeRozan is a forward). LaVine and Booker are nearly identical in stats. Zach is an awesome player to watch and he’s been a tad more efficient but Book is on the best team in the league. Do they punish Book more for CP3 or LaVine for having DeMar….that’s the convo to consider

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s got a great shot. There are 6 guard slots to choose from. I think Steph and Ja will be locks on the first team unless they fall off or Book keeps averaging 30+. Luka and Trae are gonna be in the mix just because they’re numbers of assists are so high as lead guards. That leaves one of CP3, Book and LaVine for the last 2 guard spots (DeRozan is a forward). LaVine and Booker are nearly identical in stats. Zach is an awesome player to watch and he’s been a tad more efficient but Book is on the best team in the league. Do they punish Book more for CP3 or LaVine for having DeMar….that’s the convo to consider
General consensus is that Book is a step above Lavine. If Book doesn't make it, it saves the Suns a boatload of cash. Mixed feelings here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I think Ja is getting too much credit too soon.

he's putting up insane numbers and is the leader of the Grizz, helping them go from 2 seed to a darkhorse contender in 3 years. What doesn't he deserve at this point? Like, do you think Booker deserves to be in the All-Star game as a starter above him? Because Morant is better than him in every statistical category, save 3 point shooting where it's Booker 37.8% to Ja's 35.7%.

Otherwise, points, rebounds, assists, FG%... all higher. And while the Grizz have talent, there's no one on that team the level of CP3 and we are much deeper.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
General consensus is that Book is a step above Lavine. If Book doesn't make it, it saves the Suns a boatload of cash. Mixed feelings here.

I think this is the first season Book gets the All-NBA nod. Probably 3rd team. And well deserving considering he's still just as good as always on offense, but now plays good D also for the best team in the league.

man, the last two seasons have been fun. so much better talking about Book getting into All-Star games, All-NBA, playing for best record, etc. etc. than talking about freaking tanking and whether McD has ish for brains in his head.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
he's putting up insane numbers and is the leader of the Grizz, helping them go from 2 seed to a darkhorse contender in 3 years. What doesn't he deserve at this point? Like, do you think Booker deserves to be in the All-Star game as a starter above him? Because Morant is better than him in every statistical category, save 3 point shooting where it's Booker 37.8% to Ja's 35.7%.

Otherwise, points, rebounds, assists, FG%... all higher. And while the Grizz have talent, there's no one on that team the level of CP3 and we are much deeper.
I think Ja has benefited from not having a healthy Dillon Brooks in the lineup from a scoring standpoint. And Desmond Bane has missed several games where Ja is the focal point. If CP3 were to have been hurt (knock on wood) I think Book’s assists and rebounds would be higher since he’d have to fill that void. Ja is great. He’s extremely athletic, great floater and getting better as a shooter. But the Grizz did go 11-2 without him…lot of season left. If Suns keep the best record and win 60-65 games, I think Book will make All-NBA.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Ja has benefited from not having a healthy Dillon Brooks in the lineup from a scoring standpoint. And Desmond Bane has missed several games where Ja is the focal point. If CP3 were to have been hurt (knock on wood) I think Book’s assists and rebounds would be higher since he’d have to fill that void. Ja is great. He’s extremely athletic, great floater and getting better as a shooter. But the Grizz did go 11-2 without him…lot of season left. If Suns keep the best record and win 60-65 games, I think Book will make All-NBA.
If CP3 were hurt, I think this team falls precipitously.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If CP3 were hurt, I think this team falls precipitously.
I’m saying Book’s counting stats would be higher. I don’t wanna think about that reality because CP3 does so much more the team. I’d like to think we’ve learned how to overcome adversity to still stick together without him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you figure? He’s been playing out of his mind…

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah, he's incredible and deserves all the attention he gets. I might knock him down a bit for missing a dozen games but he deserves to be there before Curry or Wiggins (and Booker).

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah, he's incredible and deserves all the attention he gets. I might knock him down a bit for missing a dozen games but he deserves to be there before Curry or Wiggins (and Booker).

To me this is like his pre-championship Wade season where everyone knew he was a superstar even though it may be a bit early to pronounce it. Idk if they can reach him about lowering the aggression level because the way he attacks the basket and is such a strong rebounder for his size that he’ll get beat up. Iverson was durable but he was an alien.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose