Dbacks trade news

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of chatter surrounding Nolan Arenado and the Dbacks. His contract isn't too crazy, he's still really productive.

What do ya'll think he costs us? Pfaadt and one of our top 5 position prospects?

Personally, call it foolish sentiment... I think I'd rather get Goldschmidt back. We don't have a DH, he and Walker could split DH and first base duties, I think he'd also cost us a lot less in prospects than Nolan.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Lots of chatter surrounding Nolan Arenado and the Dbacks. His contract isn't too crazy, he's still really productive.

What do ya'll think he costs us? Pfaadt and one of our top 5 position prospects?

Personally, call it foolish sentiment... I think I'd rather get Goldschmidt back. We don't have a DH, he and Walker could split DH and first base duties, I think he'd also cost us a lot less in prospects than Nolan.
Maybe Goldy, but what would it cost us? We are not going to win it all this year. Bring up prospects from the farm or buy a pitcher or 2. We ate about 20 million of MadBum's contract this year and about 14 million next year. Stay on course, Hell, I am in my 70's and still want patience with Hazen's plan and not give away the farm.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Goldy, but what would it cost us? We are not going to win it all this year. Bring up prospects from the farm or buy a pitcher or 2. We ate about 20 million of MadBum's contract this year and about 14 million next year. Stay on course, Hell, I am in my 70's and still want patience with Hazen's plan and not give away the farm.

Another big hitter, be it Goldy or Nolan or someone else and (more importantly) a top shelf reliever, and I think this team can contend with anyone.

I like Goldy over Nolan, not just because of sentiment, but because I think it would cost about half as much in terms of prospects. Same level bat, Nolan is probably the best 3rd baseman in baseball, so that is a big cost jump. He is also 3 years younger and under contract for 4 more years.

I think Nolan would cost way more and primarily because of what he brings on defense but our defense is really good. I'd rather pay a fraction for Goldy.

I also would like if we had DH options so obvious that Lovullo would look utterly insane to continue to run garbage options like Smith and Lewis at DH.

The amount of ABs Smith has gotten as DH is mind blowing. The DH comes to the NL, after years of ineffective pitchers hitting, and Lovullo sticks a guy who hits worse than a typical pitcher at DH. It is mind boggling. I like Lovullo but that aspect of his lineups is pure insanity.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
IDK, I think we all know we should have kept Scherzer originally. At this point he's staring down the end of his career. He can be a good mentor, sure. Let's just not see outrageous contracts, or giving up 2-3 top talents from our farm club, etc. There's a role for these guys. But it's at the cost of playing time for younger players, too.

I think I would rather see a closer brought in. Wether that's farm club or trade. That moves the Sheriff, and McGough back into more set up roles, which helps the bull pen. Maybe bring in another bull pen guy, worst case.

In my mind, we are WAY ahead of pace of where we were projected at the start of the season. We should drop off. I think I want to give these young guys, and this roster a chance to ride it out and learn. They EARNED it in the first half of the season. Honestly, some of the best baseball I have seen the Diamondbacks play in years!

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IDK, I think we all know we should have kept Scherzer originally. At this point he's staring down the end of his career. He can be a good mentor, sure. Let's just not see outrageous contracts, or giving up 2-3 top talents from our farm club, etc. There's a role for these guys. But it's at the cost of playing time for younger players, too.

I think I would rather see a closer brought in. Wether that's farm club or trade. That moves the Sheriff, and McGough back into more set up roles, which helps the bull pen. Maybe bring in another bull pen guy, worst case.

In my mind, we are WAY ahead of pace of where we were projected at the start of the season. We should drop off. I think I want to give these young guys, and this roster a chance to ride it out and learn. They EARNED it in the first half of the season. Honestly, some of the best baseball I have seen the Diamondbacks play in years!
I don't think Scherzer would cost a lot in terms of contracts given he has had a down year and has a player option of $43M next year at 39 years old. Even if he is considered an expiring, NYM can't ask for anyone on Top 10 IMO, maybe a couple of kids in the #20 - #30 range.

I think he would be a good #3 and you don't mortgage the farm like you would for a Stroman or Giolito. Eduardo Rodriguez is an interesting option, may come at a reasonable cost.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Arizona Diamondbacks not only made the cut behind their wealth of highly touted prospects, but they found themselves in the “now we’re talking” tier, for Shohei Ohtani.

MLB Insider David Schoenfield’s proposed trade centers around top-five prospect Jordan Lawlar, outfielder Alek Thomas and pitchers Slade Cecconi and Yu-Min Lin.

The Diamondbacks are building something really nice here, so they’ll be reluctant to deal away future talent, but given Ohtani is favored to land with the Dodgers or Giants as a free agent, 2023 may actually be their best opportunity to win a division title over the next five years. … They have two premium prospects in Lawlar and outfielder Druw Jones … Thomas gives the Angels a Gold Glove-caliber center fielder who could be the next Kevin Kiermaier — great D, good enough at the plate. That’s a strong package right there, and we’ve included two solid pitching prospects as well.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would actually be pretty ok with this. I’d prefer to send them Jones in place of Lawlar. Ohtani is the kind of player Kendrick should pay huge money too as well. With him and Carroll that building would be close to full regularly.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would actually be pretty ok with this. I’d prefer to send them Jones in place of Lawlar. Ohtani is the kind of player Kendrick should pay huge money too as well. With him and Carroll that building would be close to full regularly.
Maybe get Randy Johnson out of retirement as a closer? :lol:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Ohtani thing would be more about blocking division rivals from getting him. If he ends up on a team like the Yankees, not so bad. You can't let SF get him. That would totally suck!

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Ohtani thing would be more about blocking division rivals from getting him. If he ends up on a team like the Yankees, not so bad. You can't let SF get him. That would totally suck!
LAA is going to want at least 2 Top 10 guys even though Ohtani is a free agent. Another challenge is paying him for 10 years would be a lot for a guy about to turn 30. If he is cool with a 5 year deal for about $45M a year maybe that is doable considering ARZ really doesn’t have a big contract unless you count Carroll’s.