D'Backs Close to Signing Daniel Cabrera

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
A Dominican Republic newspaper is reporting the Diamondbacks have reached an agreement with free-agent pitcher Daniel Cabrera, but Cabrera’s agent, Mike Powers, says the sides have not yet come to terms on a deal.

“We’re having active discussions is the best way to describe it,” Powers said this morning. “We’ve been talking to a number of teams over the last couple of weeks.”

Diamondbacks General Manager Josh Byrnes did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

Powers said he and the Diamondbacks were discussing whether it would be a minor league or a major league deal.

According to Candela Deportiva, Cabrera has agreed to terms with the Diamondbacks and will first report to Triple-A Reno to start two or three games before coming to the majors.

Powers said Cabrera has been working out in the Dominican Republic since he was designated for assignment by the Washington Nationals in late May.

Cabrera has long been more about potential than results. A hard-throwing right-hander whose fastball used to sit in the mid-to-upper 90s, Cabrera has struggled to harness his stuff his entire big league career.

He had a 5.85 ERA in nine games (eight starts) with the Nationals before his release. He had a 5.55 ERA in 34 starts in 2007 and a 5.25 ERA in 30 starts in 2008 with Baltimore, where he spent the first five years of his career.

When the Nationals parted ways with Cabrera in May, Washington’s active general manager, Mike Rizzo, did not mince words about the frustrating Cabrera.

“You have to put your best 25 players on the roster that are giving you a chance to win,” Rizzo said. “I look beyond the contract and look at the execution and performance of the player, and it wasn’t up to par. I was tired of watching him.”

Cabrera signed a one-year, $2.6 million deal before the season.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/59250

His statistics have never been good: Career. He walks too many batters and gives up too many hits, not a good combination. He also got cut from the Nationals this year. However, he is 6-9, can throw 95 mph, and potential.

In addition, I hope that I am not reading too much into this but this signing might mean that we waiver wire trade Garland thus opening a rotation spot for Cabrera. Either that or Petit, despite his last outing, is destined for Triple-A or the bullpen.

Overall though, this signing seems to be minor, unless Cabrera can get it together in Triple-A.

Last edited:
OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
http://taoofsteve.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/08/d-backs_negotiating_with_cabre.html

D-backs negotiating with Cabrera

The D-backs are in discussions with right-hander Daniel Cabrera about a contract, but as of Sunday afternoon no agreement had been reached.

Arizona officials declined to comment on situation.

D-backs scouts saw Cabrera throw in the Dominican Republic on Saturday.

My sense is that they are looking for him to add pitching depth to the organization. Cabrera was designated for assignment by the Nationals on May 27 after going 0-5 with a 5.85 ERA in nine games (eight starts).

The D-backs have been using Yusmeiro Petit as their fifth starter of late and due to struggles by some of the pitching prospects as well as some dead arm periods, the club has not had many other options.

Whether Cabrera would be used as a starter or reliever should the D-backs wind up signing him is not known.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The kid is a big power pitcher with a ton of potential. His problem is his command. When he is on he can be dominant, however, as his ERA shows that doesn't happen often enough.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I saw this guy pitch against the Giants when I was in San Fran earlier this year. He has a nice fastball but he really has a control issue, he even let some get passed the catcher when he was warming up in their "bullpen"

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

His statistics have never been good: Career. He walks too many batters and gives up too many hits, not a good combination. He also got cut from the Nationals this year. However, he is 6-9, can throw 95 mph, and potential.

In addition, I hope that I am not reading too much into this but this signing might mean that we waiver wire trade Garland thus opening a rotation spot for Cabrera. Either that or Petit, despite his last outing, is destined for Triple-A or the bullpen.

Overall though, this signing seems to be minor, unless Cabrera can get it together in Triple-A.

I heard TEX was interested in Garland, I wonder if we could get Hank Blalock for him, Blalock at 1st an Reynolds at 3rd would give us the power on the corners we only got a glimpse of with Dunn the last 3 months last year. TEX needs to shed payroll trading Blalock lets them keep prospects while offsetting Garland's salary with Blalock's. Blalock's name has come up in trade rumors the last couple of years.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard TEX was interested in Garland, I wonder if we could get Hank Blalock for him, Blalock at 1st an Reynolds at 3rd would give us the power on the corners we only got a glimpse of with Dunn the last 3 months last year. TEX needs to shed payroll trading Blalock lets them keep prospects while offsetting Garland's salary with Blalock's. Blalock's name has come up in trade rumors the last couple of years.

Blalock is scheduled to make $6.2M in 2009 and is a FA in 2010. His current contract was an arbitration years buyout so this will be his first time as a FA.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

but this signing might mean that we waiver wire trade Garland thus opening a rotation spot for Cabrera. ,Either that or Petit despite his last outing, is destined for Triple-A or the bullpen.

Why move Petit to AAA? Dude proved he belongs in that Philly game. Let him start.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard