David Johnson

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything I’ve read said it’s not as complicated as some. Of course any offense is going to be a bit more complicated than take the ball and run into the wall of guys offense we had last year. :)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't he be?

Davids primary struggles between each coach have been remembering his assignments. BA used to talk alot about him running the wrong route or picking up the wrong blocking assignments. DJ would mention it too.

Then you had Wilks putting in Chase Edmonds on critical running plays because of DJ making mistakes on prior plays and etc. There has been a pattern that shows he may not be the best at retaining playbooks and the simpler his trees are under this playbook, the more likely he has another huge year.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Davids primary struggles between each coach have been remembering his assignments. BA used to talk alot about him running the wrong route or picking up the wrong blocking assignments. DJ would mention it too.

Then you had Wilks putting in Chase Edmonds on critical running plays because of DJ making mistakes on prior plays and etc. There has been a pattern that shows he may not be the best at retaining playbooks and the simpler his trees are under this playbook, the more likely he has another huge year.
Well according to some, Kyler will be doing most of the running anyway lol

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
KK is going to use a video playbook. If DJ has issues picking up this offense I would be very afraid

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KK is going to use a video playbook. If DJ has issues picking up this offense I would be very afraid

We have a servicable backup running back too. I am far more concerned with the performance at QB

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score

Of course sending him straight up the middle, every single time, for a whole year, with a line that couldn't create a 2 inch seam had nothing to do with his production... yup ... all on DJ

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course sending him straight up the middle, every single time, for a whole year, with a line that couldn't create a 2 inch seam had nothing to do with his production... yup ... all on DJ
I said absolutely nothing about his production or anything about production fault. In fact, part of what I mentioned were timeframes within his best season.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I heard this offense is simpler because receivers have set routes - they never have to read coverage and adjust their route. That's what made John Brown so special. As a rookie, he was able to digest BA's complex system right away, where even Larry was taking time to pick it up.

I'm guessing that's where DJ had problems with mental errors. But I don't know. He's a RB that does WR things. Was he expected to read coverage and adjust his routes in the last two offenses?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I'm expecting great things from DJ and am grabbing him when I can in my fantasy leagues. I am thinking that the D's will have to stay spread apart. This is going to get fun as our OL improves over the next couple of years. Hopefully, that is.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I heard this offense is simpler because receivers have set routes - they never have to read coverage and adjust their route. That's what made John Brown so special. As a rookie, he was able to digest BA's complex system right away, where even Larry was taking time to pick it up.

I'm guessing that's where DJ had problems with mental errors. But I don't know. He's a RB that does WR things. Was he expected to read coverage and adjust his routes in the last two offenses?

IIRC, John Brown was also working with Carson Palmer in the offseason to figure out what he liked.

One thing that I'm confident with on Murray is that he's going to get together with his teammates. Hopefully he'll be at Fitz's summer camp. He historically worked out separately with his receivers to make sure that everything was tight; I assume he'll bring that mentality to the NFL.

I agree with others that Kingsbury's system isn't super-complicated. The players just need to execute the concepts perfectly.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this guy is smart enough to get this offense . . .

Where the hell did this come from? David Johnson is one of the smarter RBs in the league.

While at UNI, Johnson earned his way on the Dean's List twice for having a GPA of 3.5 or above and was a 3.0 honoree for multiple semesters.

Are you trolling here?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Where the hell did this come from? David Johnson is one of the smarter RBs in the league.

Are you trolling here?

Like, book smart? He got a giant contract extension and is still missing blocks and assignments.

He could potentially be the least football-smart of the elite(ish) running backs in the NFL.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave