Daniels traded to Indiana

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
wow, for croshere. i think dallas got the wrong end of that one. but that said, croshere is a good backup for dirk. i'd love to get our hands on daniels somehow . . .

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Bizarre as heck move for the Mavs. Doesn't Croshere have a huge contract?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
carey said:
Bizarre as heck move for the Mavs. Doesn't Croshere have a huge contract?

This is Croshere's last year. Daniels has 3 more years plus the team option year.

IMHO Croshere is Van Horn without the glamor. :p

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, Cuban was trying to get out from a bad contract.

Joe

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess Cuban reached his goal. Personally, I dont think much of Croshere and think Daniels will be a steal for Indy.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Per Hoopshype:

Daniels:

2006-07 $5880
2007-08 $6370
2008-09 $6860

Marquis Daniels
Dallas Mavericks
Position: G
Height: 6-6 Weight: 200
College : Auburn
Player file | Team stats

2005-06 Statistics
PPG 10.2
RPG 3.6
APG 2.8
SPG 1.08
BPG .21
FG% .480
FT% .754
3P% .211
MPG 28.5

Nice player, but pricy.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is it too much to hope for signing Lorenzen Wright and trading for either Travis Deiner or Dan Dickau who was just traded to Portland in the Telfair trade?

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
Is it too much to hope for signing Lorenzen Wright and trading for either Travis Deiner or Dan Dickau who was just traded to Portland in the Telfair trade?

I called into Gambo and Ash last week, and Gambo said that Dickau was a throw in. Due to his EXTREME neck injury he suffered, he will be lucky to play again. He most likely will retire due to the injury.

As far as Wright, I'd love for the Suns to pick him up as another big. He's better than Lampe, and could probably be had at about the same price.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Believe it or not, Cuban was trying to get out from a bad contract.

Joe

This is where Joe and I agree. :)

And Cuban bought out Finley's contract (50 million?) and he was not willing to pay the money to keep Steve Nash.

I think Cuban is slowly, and I do use the word slowly, learning that you cannot buy a Championship. Although I do like his willingness to venture into luxury tax land.

This is not a knock on the new Suns ownership, but I wish they'd be willing to go there for at least one good run at a Championship.

Edit: Also I think this is the last year of Croshere's contract. Dallas also drafted some player(s) that might help, can't think right now, other than Shannon Brown and maybe White (?).

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is probably not the place to put this comment, but I think D'Antoni likes veterans or young players that are almost ready to play and are not prone to mistakes. The biggest exception I think is LB, because of his tremendous athletic ability and attitude. Amare might fit this category as well.

This may may have future implications. Perhaps the Suns may want to trade draft picks for proven talent if given the choice.

I think D'Antoni likes a short rotation and a player must be ready to play to get in this rotation. IMO, D'Antoni may feel this way more so than many coaches. This is not necessarily a bad thing except for me as I like to watch young talent develop.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
This is where Joe and I agree. :)

And Cuban bought out Finley's contract (50 million?) and he was not willing to pay the money to keep Steve Nash.

I think Cuban is slowly, and I do use the word slowly, learning that you cannot buy a Championship. Although I do like his willingness to venture into luxury tax land.

This is not a knock on the new Suns ownership, but I wish they'd be willing to go there for at least one good run at a Championship.

Edit: Also I think this is the last year of Croshere's contract. Dallas also drafted some player(s) that might help, can't think right now, other than Shannon Brown and maybe White (?).

Cleveland drafted Shannon Brown.

Joe

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
This is probably not the place to put this comment, but I think D'Antoni likes veterans or young players that are almost ready to play and are not prone to mistakes. The biggest exception I think is LB, because of his tremendous athletic ability and attitude. Amare might fit this category as well.
D'Antoni likes players who play like he did. I don't think that's any secret. He's gonna have to learn to weigh guys who approach his style to youth to fill out the roster. Not only are rookies cheaper, they tend to gain some value before their contracts run out. I think I would like to have James White on a three-year rookie contract than Piatkowski on a 2-year vet min right now.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
D'Antoni likes players who play like he did. I don't think that's any secret. He's gonna have to learn to weigh guys who approach his style to youth to fill out the roster. Not only are rookies cheaper, they tend to gain some value before their contracts run out. I think I would like to have James White on a three-year rookie contract than Piatkowski on a 2-year vet min right now.

I can agree with that, but I know that the Phoenix Suns had no intention of drafting James white. I'm not sure why that is. He was not on their board though.

Joe

nowagimp

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I think D'Antoni likes a short rotation and a player must be ready to play to get in this rotation. IMO, D'Antoni may feel this way more so than many coaches. This is not necessarily a bad thing except for me as I like to watch young talent develop.

Lets see ... DAntoni likes his teams to run like the wind(shoot within 7 seconds of possession change) score 120 pts to outscore the opposition, but likes a short rotation. It just doesnt add up. High scoring teams NEED depth more than low scoring teams, and with all the matchup games that other teams play with the suns, it just plain pays to have more body types on the bench to counter. If I was watching the suns the last few years, I would say that DAntoni hates turnovers and bad shooters, and will not play guys who cant score and guys who turn the ball over too much. The bench was short this year(and last) due to injuries, and DAntoni is not going to insert Burke(and all that that means) so one of his productive players gets a rest if they go down by 10 during that rest.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Gaddabout said:

I'm with you Gaddabout, I'd like to see white develop here. The problem is that this team is going for a championship, and has little time to give a raw talent to develop, and James white will need alot of time to develop. I'm thinking that D'Antoni sees piatkowski as a guy who needs no development time and, in a pinch, will be useful forcing defensive spacing on the floor like TT did. Piatkowski is not TT lite, he's TT ultralite. Hope his strategy works.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
D'Antoni likes players who play like he did.

So does Avery Johnson, apparently.

To me, this is a mistake by Dallas, but then, I thought they should have played Daniels more in the playoffs (especially against Miami), so what do I know?

If Croshere can give them what they wanted from KVH last year, Dallas will be fine. I just like Daniels' ability to create for himself and others. :shrug:

nowagimp

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
So does Avery Johnson, apparently.

To me, this is a mistake by Dallas, but then, I thought they should have played Daniels more in the playoffs (especially against Miami), so what do I know?

If Croshere can give them what they wanted from KVH last year, Dallas will be fine. I just like Daniels' ability to create for himself and others. :shrug:

Word was that avery didnt like Daniels. Well Daniels shouldnt feel so bad, avery didnt like Nash, either. With all the salary cap complications, its kind of costly to be a coach who cannot adapt his strategy to his teams talent pool.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
Lets see ... DAntoni likes his teams to run like the wind(shoot within 7 seconds of possession change) score 120 pts to outscore the opposition, but likes a short rotation. It just doesnt add up. High scoring teams NEED depth more than low scoring teams, and with all the matchup games that other teams play with the suns, it just plain pays to have more body types on the bench to counter. If I was watching the suns the last few years, I would say that DAntoni hates turnovers and bad shooters, and will not play guys who cant score and guys who turn the ball over too much. The bench was short this year(and last) due to injuries, and DAntoni is not going to insert Burke(and all that that means) so one of his productive players gets a rest if they go down by 10 during that rest.

D'Antoni insists on playing guys who can play. He'd rather have 2 minutes more from his starters than a low impact guy. What he's not been accused of is failing to play guys who can really play.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison