D-Backs to sign Glaus

AZZenny

Reaction score
For the moment, on the sketchboard for our future 1B is Conor Jackson. He played 3rd and some 1st in college, we moved him to the OF thinking we had the infield well-covered, ended up with lots of decent-to-excellent OF prospects and pretty thin IF prospects. (Though I like Neb Brown and D'Antona.) So he took groundballs at 1B and played an inning there in AzFL, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see him at 1B in Tucson this year.

Glaus' agent said last week that they were not really interested in talking to teams expecting him to play anywhere but 3rd base.

Last edited:

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
sly fly said:
Not sure I heard too many people say that, especially after all the $$$ shelled out to other players AFTER he signed. Nash actually came cheap, even moreso now that he's playing like the best PG in the league.

What do you mean your not sure you heard too many people say that? You obviously didnt read ANYTHING after he agreed to his contract with the suns then did you?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
For the moment, on the sketchboard for our future 1B is Conor Jackson. He played 3rd and some 1st in college, we moved him to the OF thinking we had the infield well-covered, ended up with lots of decent-to-excellent OF prospects and pretty thin IF prospects. (Though I like Neb Brown and D'Antona.) So he took groundballs at 1B and played an inning there in AzFL, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see him at 1B in Tucson this year.

Glaus' agent said last week that they were not really interested in talking to teams expecting him to play anywhere but 3rd base.

Yeah, I think he will move to 1st, especially since it looks likely that Hairston will move to LF.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Yeah, I think he will move to 1st, especially since it looks likely that Hairston will move to LF.
Is Gonzo going somewhere? :confused:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Look for Hairston to be traded in 2005. He's going to have to be a lot better in the OF than he is at 2nd to stick in the NL. He seems like another Jack Cust type - a brainless bat, DH or nothing.

In addition to Conor, we have Carlos Quentin, Jon Zeringue, Marland Williams, Noochie Varner, Luis Terrero, maybe Josh Kroeger, in approximately descending order, who are very legit OF with as much or more more upside as Hairston at this point. We can't keep recycling surplus so-so infielders (i.e., Tracy, Hammock, Kata, too) through the OF, so some guys will have to be traded. We can only hope they trade the weaker ones and not the studs. (I remain terrified they'll trade Conor to Oakland as part of a package for Zito).

Gonzo has a close connection with Moorad. Be interesting to see what comes of that after this year. I thought we signed him to a post-career personal services contract or something, too.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Look for Hairston to be traded in 2005. He's going to have to be a lot better in the OF than he is at 2nd to stick in the NL. He seems like another Jack Cust type - a brainless bat, DH or nothing.

In addition to Conor, we have Carlos Quentin, Jon Zeringue, Marland Williams, Noochie Varner, Luis Terrero, maybe Josh Kroeger, in approximately descending order, who are very legit OF with as much or more more upside as Hairston at this point. We can't keep recycling surplus so-so infielders (i.e., Tracy, Hammock, Kata, too) through the OF, so some guys will have to be traded. We can only hope they trade the weaker ones and not the studs. (I remain terrified they'll trade Conor to Oakland as part of a package for Zito).

I would put Carlos ahead of Conor... mainly because he has a bat and an arm. I wouldnt mind seeing Zito in a D'back uniform, but I dont think I would want to trade Conor for him. I fully expect Conor to be in left-field by the end of the upcoming season. Also, I wouldnt put Varner ahead of Terrero or Kroeger.. And if we trade Hairston, who would play second?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
And if we trade Hairston, who would play second?

Hairston is not going to play 2B with this organization, even in 2005. They have already stated the job will go to either Gil, Kata, Cintron or some unknown acquisition. We need to start reading between the lines and realizing that guys like Hairston, Tracy, and Terrero will most likely not be a part of the D-Backs future.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=32910

The signing probably means the team will not re-sign Richie Sexson, will use the winter meetings to explore a trade of Shea Hillenbrand and will move Chad Tracy, last season's third baseman, to first base or the outfield.

Tellingly, Garagiola called Tracy to tell him Glaus was signing and say, “You're going to be in the lineup,” but did not inform Hillenbrand.

Tracy said he asked Garagiola if he should get himself a first baseman's mitt or an outfield glove and got the reply, “It wouldn't be bad to pick up one of each.”

Guess I was wrong about Tracy having no spot. I just don't see how his offensive numbers are going to justify a 1B or RF spot unless he develops some more power. Regardless, Hillenbrand, it's been very average knowing you.

Kolo

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=32910

Guess I was wrong about Tracy having no spot. I just don't see how his offensive numbers are going to justify a 1B or RF spot unless he develops some more power. Regardless, Hillenbrand, it's been very average knowing you.

Tracy is up to 214 lbs, up from 192. Don't know whether that'll translate into power, but his swing doesn't seem the type that'd ever generate much, no matter how big he got.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I doubt he's a long-term answer, given the farm system and his execrable defense, but look - he has reasonable plate discipline, let's not ask to turn him into another hacker! It would please me enormously if the team once again emphasized plate discipline instead of undiscriminating "aggressiveness." We could do a lot worse than having a patient .285-.300 hitter on the team - and in the past two years we have!

Hillenbrand, it's been very average knowing you. :D