D-Backs to sign Glaus

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 9, 2004 12:00 AM

The Diamondbacks effectively ended their contract stalemate with slugger Richie Sexson by convincing free-agent third baseman Troy Glaus to sign a four-year, $45 million contract with the club, The Arizona Republic has learned.

Glaus, the Most Valuable Player of the 2002 World Series as a member of the Anaheim Angels who has put up Sexson-like power numbers, agreed to terms with Arizona late Wednesday night following three days of heavy negotiations.

He will be introduced during a news conference today at Bank One Ballpark, at which time Diamondbacks officials are expected to say they no longer have interest in re-signing Sexson, a free agent being courted by a handful of other clubs, including the New York Mets, Seattle Mariners and Baltimore Orioles.

The 6-foot-5, 245-pound Glaus, 28, will be given a $4 million signing bonus and a salary of $8.25 million this season. He'll make $9.25 million in 2006, $10.75 million in 2007 and $12.75 million in 2008.

None of the money will be deferred.

The acquisition of Glaus means Chad Tracy, an All-Rookie third baseman last season, will likely switch to the outfield, or possibly first base. Depending on how Glaus' surgically repaired shoulder feels, Glaus may also see some time at first.

A right-handed hitter, Glaus has battled shoulder problems each of the past two years and underwent surgery last season. He returned to the Angels lineup and in 58 games (and 207 at-bats), mostly in a designated hitter's role, hit .251 with 18 home runs and 42 RBIs.

Sexson, 30, was limited to 23 games after also having shoulder problems.

Two checked swings resulted in season-ending surgery to repair a torn labrum. He hit .233 with nine homers and 23 RBIs, but the Diamondbacks medical staff said they predicted a 10 percent chance of the injury recurring, which dragged contract talks between Sexson and the club.

The Diamondbacks offered Sexson salary arbitration on Tuesday, which allows them to continue negotiating with the player through Jan. 8, but more importantly, it preserves draft-pick compensation to the team for losing him to another club.

The Diamondbacks will receive two picks for Sexson - either a first- or second-round pick and a supplemental sandwich pick - based on his status as an "A" player from his statistics the previous two seasons.

As for Glaus, Diamondbacks physicians gave him an extensive physical in the Valley on Monday, and reportedly everything checked out fine with his shoulder.

It wasn't immediately known whether any of his salary is to be based on games-played or at-bat provisions, as were all previous offers made by the club to Sexson.

A first-round pick by the Angels in 1997 (the third pick overall), Glaus has been selected to the All-Star Game three times (2000, 2001 and 2002).

In other developments, Steve Finley is still considering a return to the Diamondbacks, along with offers from the Angels, the San Francisco Giants and the Detroit Tigers. Finley's agent said negotiations have been heating up and that Arizona was at the front and center of talks.

"The Diamondbacks have been the most aggressive," Tommy Tanzer said. "It's flattering. He loves the coaching staff they've put together. It's going to be a hard decision."

Arizona is also trying to land free-agent pitcher Russ Ortiz, who went 15-9 last season with the Atlanta Braves, as well as shortstop Royce Clayton and outfielder David Dellucci.

AZZenny

Reaction score
That's a lot of money. Have to hope his health holds up and his power didn't all come from a jar. :rolleyes:

So...I picture Randy strolling up to Moorad and saying, "Here - here's $20 Mill, go get me some veterans so I don't have to move and uproot my kids." Or maybe he had a little side bet with Jeff at the Suns game last week, loser had to buy Troy Glaus.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
i like glaus....i don't like 4 years 45 million

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
offset said:
i like glaus....i don't like 4 years 45 million

That's a lot of money to be paying a guy who hasn't completed a full season since 2002. Either way, Chad Tracy better not get too comfortable here in Phoenix. is .280/10/60 line looks pretty weak at 1B or corner OF spot.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Shea or Chad will be traded now.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Looks like Shea or Chad will be traded now.

I agree... and I think it will be Shea that is traded. Glaus still might move to first and Tracy might stay at 3rd. Last year they were going to trade Shea for Freddy Garcia until Sexson got hurt.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
I agree... and I think it will be Shea that is traded. Glaus still might move to first and Tracy might stay at 3rd. Last year they were going to trade Shea for Freddy Garcia until Sexson got hurt.

If that rumor was true (which I doubt), then we missed a golden opportunity.

As for Glaus, big risk but I think it will end up working out.

asudevil83

Reaction score
CatBoxBackFan said:
Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic

A right-handed hitter, Glaus has battled shoulder problems each of the past two years and underwent surgery last season. He returned to the Angels lineup and in 58 games (and 207 at-bats), mostly in a designated hitter's role, hit .251 with 18 home runs and 42 RBIs.
what the hell.....we trade for a guy who unfortunately has shoulder problems. we are reluctant to re-sign him because of this. SO....we go out and sign a different guy, with shoulder problems.

if we were so worried about risk with sexson, why the hell are we signing another guy who is just as risky, but to a longer contract.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
what the hell.....we trade for a guy who unfortunately has shoulder problems. we are reluctant to re-sign him because of this. SO....we go out and sign a different guy, with shoulder problems.

if we were so worried about risk with sexson, why the hell are we signing another guy who is just as risky, but to a longer contract.

I think the D backs wanted to sign Sexson. It was more of a Sexson not wanting the D backs.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3232740

Glaus agrees to 4-year deal with D-Backs
Story Tools: Print Email
Ken Rosenthal /
Posted: 41 minutes ago

The Diamondbacks, triggering a dramatic off-season restructuring, have signed free agent Troy Glaus to a four-year, $45 million contract, The Sporting News has confirmed.

Glaus' agent, Michael Nicotera, said that Glaus agreed to join the team that lost a club-record 111 games last season only after receiving assurances from D-Backs officials that they intended to rebuild the franchise quickly.
"We had extensive question and answer sessions," Nicotera said. "They were very open about what their plan is. And their plan is pretty aggressive, to say the least, as far as what they want to put on the field next year."

Glaus, 28, will play third base, forcing Chad Tracy to move to either first base or the outfield. The D-Backs have offered salary arbitration to free agent first baseman, Richie Sexson, but do not expect him to return.

Glaus' $11.25 million average salary likely will increase the prices of other free agent corner infielders, most notably Sexson, first baseman Carlos Delgado and third baseman Adrian Beltre.

Glaus missed most of last season after undergoing right shoulder surgery on May 21. Beltre is coming off one of the finest offensive seasons by a third baseman in major-league history, and he's three years younger.

The D-Backs are pursuing one more middle-of-the-order hitter to join Glaus and Luis Gonzalez, and one of their primary targets is free agent Steve Finley, their former center fielder.

Should the team trade lefty Randy Johnson, its goal will be to acquire at least one starting pitcher in the deal. Right-hander Javier Vazquez likely would be part of any Johnson trade with the Yankees, and the Diamondbacks also have been talking to right-hander Russ Ortiz and other free agents. Ideally, right-hander Brandon Webb will open their season as their No. 4 starter. He currently is their No. 2.

"They really kept at it," Nicotera said. "I give them credit. Their front office was very aggressive. Even at times when we slowed the pace a bit they kept emphasizing that Troy was a primary guy on their list."

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:

I agree - Tracy has got too much upside to trade.

Glaus at 1B and Tracy at 3B.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
CatBoxBackFan said:
Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic

In other developments, Steve Finley is still considering a return to the Diamondbacks, along with offers from the Angels, the San Francisco Giants and the Detroit Tigers. Finley's agent said negotiations have been heating up and that Arizona was at the front and center of talks.

"The Diamondbacks have been the most aggressive," Tommy Tanzer said. "It's flattering. He loves the coaching staff they've put together. It's going to be a hard decision."

That is awsome news. :thumbup:

Kolo

Reaction score
We just signed a 28 year old third baseman who had 18 HR's and 42 RBI's and a .930 OPS coming off an injury in a third of a season in a pitcher's park last year, had an OPS of better than 1.500 in the divisional series last year, had an OPS of better than 1.000 a few years back, whose shoulder was checked out and ok'ed as healthy by our medical staff, who is getting a signing bonus now and no deferred money, who wasn't offered arbitration so we won't surrender draft picks, and whose signing makes it clear new management isn't throwing in the towel but is trying to compete next year.

I have a great idea. Let's bitch about it.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hugh Jass said:

Calm down, nobody's bitching about Glaus. I have repeatedly stated that I think he's a better player than Sexson. However, giving a player who has not completed a full season since 2002 4 years at $45 million leaves the skeptics a lot of leverage to criticize. If he remains healthy then it will be a good signing. If not, well, we saw how last year went.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
If that rumor was true (which I doubt), then we missed a golden opportunity.

As for Glaus, big risk but I think it will end up working out.

I like Glaus more than Sexson... but they are very similar. And yes the rumor was true and yes we did miss out on a big opportunity. I think we had to throw in a mid-level prospect, but if Sexson didnt get hurt we would have Garcia... However, we cant think about what would have been. We can only think about what is and how we can make it better.

Now, I do expect Shea to be traded for pitching... there is a rumor that we trade Johnson and Shea to the Astros for pitching.... I would love to get some pitching from the Astros... but if Clemons re-signs, can you imagine that rotation? WHOA!!

asudevil83

Reaction score
binkar said:
I think the D backs wanted to sign Sexson. It was more of a Sexson not wanting the D backs.
but one of the biggest reasons the sexon was looking elsewhere orignially was because we werent willing to offer him a longer guarranteed contract. this is what originally bothered him, so he went out looking for greener pastures.

this in turn made johnson think about heading elsewhere....thus finalizing sexon's decision not to return to the D'backs.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Glaus came back from his injury and played last year, and I dont' think his was a "fluke" injury. Sexson hasn't come back to play since his injury. That is a big difference, in my opinion.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Hugh Jass said:
We just signed a 28 year old third baseman who had 18 HR's and 42 RBI's and a .930 OPS coming off an injury in a third of a season in a pitcher's park last year, had an OPS of better than 1.500 in the divisional series last year, had an OPS of better than 1.000 a few years back, whose shoulder was checked out and ok'ed as healthy by our medical staff, who is getting a signing bonus now and no deferred money, who wasn't offered arbitration so we won't surrender draft picks, and whose signing makes it clear new management isn't throwing in the towel but is trying to compete next year.

That's one of the best posts I've seen in awhile.

I agree. Who gives a crap if the Dbacks overpaid? Not like it's going to affect my pocketbook.

And, our options were?????

The Dbacks can do no right around here.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
sly fly said:
That's one of the best posts I've seen in awhile.

I agree. Who gives a crap if the Dbacks overpaid? Not like it's going to affect my pocketbook.

And, our options were?????

The Dbacks can do no right around here.

Alot of people say the Suns overpaid for Nash. Sure looks good now doesn't it?

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
binkar said:
Alot of people say the Suns overpaid for Nash. Sure looks good now doesn't it?

Not sure I heard too many people say that, especially after all the $$$ shelled out to other players AFTER he signed. Nash actually came cheap, even moreso now that he's playing like the best PG in the league.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I was thinking Glaus was mildly overpaid, but looking at some of the other contracts being done around baseball I think we did OK. I'm fine with nabbing Glaus, just somehow thought he'd be more like $8 M a year.

The biggest risk from his surgery (and Richie's), btw, is substantial loss of power due to reduced range of motion (sometimes permanently) - the rate of reinjury is only about 10%. Since he hit with power end of last season, that doesn't look like a concern. But since he did the injuries playing defense, wonder how that'll be affected?

Kolo

Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I was thinking Glaus was mildly overpaid, but looking at some of the other contracts being done around baseball I think we did OK. I'm fine with nabbing Glaus, just somehow thought he'd be more like $8 M a year.

The biggest risk from his surgery (and Richie's), btw, is substantial loss of power due to reduced range of motion (sometimes permanently) - the rate of reinjury is only about 10%. Since he hit with power end of last season, that doesn't look like a concern. But since he did the injuries playing defense, wonder how that'll be affected?

1b (I've heard) is the weakest position in our farm system, and with Santos maybe moving to 3rd and D'Anonta showing some promise before his injury in El Paso and Tracy showing he can be at least an average 3b in the majors, maybe Glaus would be a better fit at 1b long-term anyway.

That said, I'd rather have Glaus than any 3b in the majors except for Rolen. Eric Chavez, maybe, but Glaus is a legit cleanup hitter and I've always thought Chavez was overrated because Gammons fawns over him constantly.

And I think with Glaus getting $10+ million per year, Adrian Beltre is going to be signed to an even more ridiculous contract than even Scott Boras could have imagined.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Dbacks Attempt to Glaus Over Their Incompetence

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard