"D-Backs should rule lackluster NL West" --FoxSorts.com

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5201924

Even if the Arizona Diamondbacks had done absolutely nothing this winter, an exceptionally bright future was already in the offing.

However, in recent days, rookie GM Josh Byrnes has improved an already astounding lot of young talent; and as a result, the D-backs are uniquely coiled (snake metaphor!) for a run of dominance in the otherwise lackluster NL West.

But when will that run begin?

Arizona already has in the fold talents, such as Carlos Quentin, Conor Jackson, Stephen Drew, Dustin Nippert, Carlos Gonzalez, Garret Mock and — provided he signs — Justin Upton. That's arguably the best collection of prospects in the game (and don't forget they'll enjoy the 11th overall pick of the 2006 amateur draft).

Now, thanks to the recent trades Byrnes and company have made with the White Sox and Blue Jays, the Snakes have gotten even stronger in terms of young (or semi-young) performers.

Starting pitcher Javier Vazquez had a contractual right to demand a trade, and that's just what he did. Considering how little leverage Byrnes had — and considering that teams around the league were aware of his straits, he netted a tremendous return package. Chris Young, the centerpiece of the deal from Arizona's standpoint, is quite simply the most underrated prospect in all of baseball.
While Young has two failings that cause him to be overlooked in many quarters — relatively low batting averages and lofty strikeout totals, what he does well — draw walks, hit for power, play excellent defense in center, run the bases well — far outweighs those over-emphasized negatives.
Last season, Young, at age 21, hit .277 AVG/.377 OBP/.545 SLG in the pitcher-friendly Southern League — despite skipping over the High-A level altogether, and buried in that batting line are 26 homers, 41 doubles and 32 stolen bases against only six caught. In 2004, Young put up similar numbers in the Sally League; so his performance this past season is no fluke.

Since the D-backs have failed in their bid to sign a veteran center fielder this winter, there's a strong chance that Young will break camp as the regular in Arizona. Considering he has no experience in Triple-A, it's possible Young will endure some fits and starts at the highest level.
Long-term, however, he's one of the 10 best prospects in the game. If Young lives up to his astounding potential, we could find out what kind of career Eric Davis might have had if he'd been able to stay healthy. Young's that good.

Also, by shipping off Troy Glaus and his onerous contract to Toronto, Byrnes and the Snakes were able to add Orlando Hudson, the best defensive second baseman in the game. The 28-year-old Hudson has probably already experienced his ceiling, but he still figures to be a useful contributor for at least another handful of seasons.

Hudson isn't a particularly valuable hitter (but he's not exactly awful by second-base standards); however, it's his defense that will be most critical to his new team's future hopes. That's because Hudson's prowess with the glove dovetails nicely with the tendencies Arizona's pitching staff.

In 2005, the D-backs' pitching staff ranked fourth in all of baseball in groundball-fly ball ratio, and now that Vazquez is out of the rotation and Miguel Batista is in (Arizona intends to deploy Batista as a starter), they'll show even stronger groundball tendencies.

That means having a skilled glove man like Hudson patrolling the middle infield will be a boon to the team in terms of keeping runs off the board. In particular, Brandon Webb, who had far and away the highest groundball-fly ball rate in the league, will benefit greatly from having Hudson behind him.

Now, with that pair of trades accomplished, fathom the lineup the Diamondbacks could trot out circa 2007 or so:
Possible D-Backs lineup:
C-Miguel Montero
1B-Conor Jackson
2B-Orlando Hudson
3B-Justin Upton
SS-Stephen Drew
LF-Carlos Gonzalez
CF-Chris Young
RF-Charles Quentin

That lineup represents a tremendous amount of offensive upside and also makes for a highly capable defensive unit. If the front office can cobble together a rotation behind Webb and perhaps Nippert, the Snakes could sway in the senior circuit for quite a while.

Of course, this is the laughably down-cycled NL West we're talking about, and Arizona, even in the throes of rebuilding, has a shot at the flag. If, however, they do fade from contention next season, Byrnes can flip guys like Batista, Orlando Hernandez, Russ Ortiz (Heaven willing), Shawn Green and others at the deadline for even more young talent — ideally pitching prospects.
Overall, the Snakes have a stable of young talent that's the envy of almost every other organization in baseball, and they have a GM who, despite his youth, seems to know how to play his hand. What was true about the Snakes a couple of weeks ago — that they were poised to rule over the division for years to come — is even more true now that Byrnes has made these two heady deals.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
C-Miguel Montero
1B-Conor Jackson
3B-Justin Upton
SS-Stephen Drew
LF-Carlos Gonzalez
CF-Chris Young
RF-Charles Quentin

If 4 of these guys become really good the Dbacks will be lucky.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Even more than the players the story focused on, I think the direction Byrnes is taking the franchise is the REAL story. I have liked his two moves so far, with the only semi-regret is losing Sergio Santos. A few more moves like this and I could see us being really competetive for years to come, especially in the NL West! :thumbup:

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Mrh182 said:
Since the D-backs have failed in their bid to sign a veteran center fielder this winter, there's a strong chance that Young will break camp as the regular in Arizona. Considering he has no experience in Triple-A, it's possible Young will endure some fits and starts at the highest level.

Long-term, however, he's one of the 10 best prospects in the game. If Young lives up to his astounding potential, we could find out what kind of career Eric Davis might have had if he'd been able to stay healthy. Young's that good.

Every article I read about Young, I like him more and more. The bolded quote however really cemented my opinion on him. Eric Davis, before his off the field issues overtook his career, had a ceiling unlike no other in baseball. Position by Position, I'd rank he and Strawberry as two of the best of the 80s. Sad to think how good either would have been had they not been in to the off the field celebrations.

If Young comes anywhere CLOSE to being as good as Davis was capable of being, this deal for Vazquez will prove to be one of the biggest steals in recent memory.

Also, by shipping off Troy Glaus and his onerous contract to Toronto, Byrnes and the Snakes were able to add Orlando Hudson, the best defensive second baseman in the game. The 28-year-old Hudson has probably already experienced his ceiling, but he still figures to be a useful contributor for at least another handful of seasons.

Hudson isn't a particularly valuable hitter (but he's not exactly awful by second-base standards); however, it's his defense that will be most critical to his new team's future hopes. That's because Hudson's prowess with the glove dovetails nicely with the tendencies Arizona's pitching staff.

In 2005, the D-backs' pitching staff ranked fourth in all of baseball in groundball-fly ball ratio, and now that Vazquez is out of the rotation and Miguel Batista is in (Arizona intends to deploy Batista as a starter), they'll show even stronger groundball tendencies.

Hey, way I see it is this.. Arizona has a handful of potential bashers who can't play defense to save their lives. Why not get a guy in Hudson who will fill an infield hole and brings Gold Glove defense? I hated trading Glaus and at first disliked the deal, however over the days I've grown to appreciate it more.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
WildBB said:
I thought the D-Backs signed Byrnes to play CF for them this coming season?:confused:
Exactly!

Now, with that pair of trades accomplished, fathom the lineup the Diamondbacks could trot out circa 2007 or so.

But FoxSports leaving Chad Tracy out is not appropriate.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Snake said:
Every article I read about Young, I like him more and more. The bolded quote however really cemented my opinion on him. Eric Davis, before his off the field issues overtook his career, had a ceiling unlike no other in baseball. Position by Position, I'd rank he and Strawberry as two of the best of the 80s. Sad to think how good either would have been had they not been in to the off the field celebrations.

If Young comes anywhere CLOSE to being as good as Davis was capable of being, this deal for Vazquez will prove to be one of the biggest steals in recent memory.

While I like Young, as well as the deal that sent Vazquez to the White Sox, I also think that we should not get too excited too early. He has great potential but that only gets you so far. Hopefully he can prove to be everything we have read about but let's just wait until we get more results.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard