D-Backs notebook: Villarreal sent back to bullpen

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
By Jack Magruder, Tribune
TUCSON - Oscar Villarreal is back in the bullpen, where he set Diamondbacks and National League rookie records in 2003 — and which now seems to need him more than the starting rotation.

"It’s just about getting him into a role that he has a chance to be most successful in. It makes us deeper,’’ manager Bob Melvin said.

Villarreal seemed to see the move coming after giving up seven runs in three innings Sunday against San Diego in his second spring start but said he did not mind.

"They gave me a chance and I wasn’t doing the job,’’ he said. "I like starting. I like relieving. I like to play the game. I love the game.’’

Villarreal was 10-7 with a 2.57 ERA in 86 appearances as a 21-year-old in 2003, 85 in relief. He struck out 80 and gave up 80 hits in 98 innings before missing most of last season after undergoing ulnar nerve transposition surgery on his elbow.

"He just has to get more consistent. This gives us a chance to pitch him more, too,’’ Melvin said.

While Melvin said closer Greg Aquino rebounded well from his Saturday outing and is scheduled to pitch today, bullpen depth could be more of an issue than projected entering the spring.

Brandon Lyon appears to have pitched his way onto the roster, but Jose Valverde has retired only 10 of the 22 batters he has faced this spring and was ineffective while pitching an inning in a camp game against D-Backs minor leaguers Monday morning.

Concentrating on his mechanics, Valverde topped out at 88 mph and gave up a two-run home run to Alan Zinter and a bases-empty homer to Kyle Nichols. Valverde gave up three hits and a walk while facing seven hitters.

Bullpen candidate Brian Bruney pitched two scoreless innings against the White Sox on Monday, giving up one hit while striking out three and walking three. He got out of a first-and-third, one-out situation in the fifth by striking out Paul Konerko before Koyie Hill threw out Carl Everett attempting to steal second.

Bruney "made some pitches when he had to,’’ Melvin said.

Since every young reliever on the 40-man roster has minor league options remaining, the D-Backs could go with the hot hand when the season opens.

"We can get down to the end of spring and do what we think is best,’’ D-Backs general manager Joe Garagiola Jr. said.

HAIRSTON ADAPTS

Scott Hairston had three hits, including his first spring training home run, and is hitting .310 while spending most of his time in left field, the position he is likely to play at Class AAA Tucson unless a spot opens on the major league roster.

"He’s looked very natural for a guy who hasn’t done it before,’’ Melvin said of Hairston’s outfield play, "and the corner positions can be difficult for a guy. In center field, you get easier reads. On the corners, you have to deal with topspin and tougher angles.’’

SHORT HOPS

Russ Ortiz gave up three runs in 5 1 /3 innings in the camp game Monday, giving up RBI singles to Corey Myers and Josh Kroeger in the first inning before finding a groove. "He’s making progress,’’ Melvin said. . . . More than a few D-Backs paused in their workout and doffed their caps when Air Force One carrying President Bush flew into nearby Davis-Monthan Air Force Base at 10:19 a.m. . . . Right-hander Brandon Medders and left-hander Jon Cannon were reassigned to the minor league complex Monday, leaving the D-Backs with 40 players in camp.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=38353

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player