D-Backs need a CLOSER

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
3 days, 3 games, 3 blown saves in the bottom of the ninth.
:bang:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
How about the rest of the bullpen? Even they set up guys keep me up at night

As I stated before the season, I dont think we did enough to address our bullpen. Its still the weakest link on this team.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
This Bull pen sucks

We have no set up relief and no closer. I think we need to think about getting some relief help via trade. We have no chance with this bullpen.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last time our bullpen looked this bad didn't we try to give away the world for Matt Mantei. Maybe we could trade for him again as that worked out so well for us last time.

This is one horrendous bullpen but I don't see an easy fix for it. Unless we have a couple guys ready to come up in addition to a legit closer via trade I'd say we're looking at a long season. OTOH, Qualls did settle down a bit last year, maybe he'll bounce back again soon.

Steve

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
This is the most sickening thing since....Brian Bruney.

I wonder why the good pitchers we bring in from other teams always seem to blow it here.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
...wonder why the good pitchers we bring in from other teams always seem to blow it here.
Because they're not throwing strikes.

Taking a chance on letting the opponents hit the ball produces better odds for us than being cute, walking a couple of guys and watching confidence erode and bad pitching mushroom.

Being afraid to intentionally walk Andre Ethier -- Mr. Walkoff -- to load the bases, because our relievers won't throw for strikes was a real danger sign. Even with Ramirez on deck.

Perhaps Mel, Jr., didn't inherit all the genes from Mel, Sr. I don't know how good or bad he is. But when a team's problem involves more than one pitcher, you have to look at the Pitching Coach.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The worst part about having a crappy bullpen is that opposing teams never give up. They know if they get your starter to throw enough pitches they always have a chance.

A huge % of baseball is psychology.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The should just bring up a new guy from the minors every few days until somebody sticks.

TJ

Reaction score
I know Zavada was sent to AAA because of a bad spring, but he cant be any worse than the crap we're sending out there now.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
3 days, 3 games, 3 blown saves in the bottom of the ninth.
:bang:

For the record (and it might just be a record), they have blown 5 saves in the last 3 consecutive games... That takes some special skills right there!!! :bang:

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
For the record (and it might just be a record), they have blown 5 saves in the last 3 consecutive games... That takes some special skills right there!!! :bang:
lol :p

Lost 5-0 last night. Hey atleast they are getting better at losing. Just lose guys dont break our hearts and keep us up till midnight in the process!

TJ

Reaction score
Bullpen throws another stinker. 5 runs in the 7th?? That takes skill

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sick of signing cheap pitchers like Heilman and Howry and hope they can do the job. Spend some money and bring in some guys who can get batters out late in the game.

brutus1303

Rookie
Reaction score
The D-Backs need to get Heath Bell. Give them Parra and Zavada or another pitching prospect...I can't imagine it taking much more than that to get him at this point.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Howry has been pretty good at getting the job done before coming here, with the exception of two years ago...but otherwise yeah, we didn't do much at all to address this issue.

Whatever it is, it needs to be soon. The division is way too competitive this year to let this continue.

TJ

Reaction score
The D-Backs need to get Heath Bell. Give them Parra and Zavada or another pitching prospect...I can't imagine it taking much more than that to get him at this point.

SD is NOT going to give up Bell. He is arguably the best closer in the NL. Especially for Zavada (stuck in Reno) and Parra (stuck on the bench).

brutus1303

Rookie
Reaction score
Arguably the best closer in the NL, yes.

But he plays for a bad team who isn't going to be able to afford him when the time comes. I don't see why they wouldn't get what they can for him now. I would like the DBacks to at least explore the option and see what it would take.

SD is NOT going to give up Bell. He is arguably the best closer in the NL. Especially for Zavada (stuck in Reno) and Parra (stuck on the bench).

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

But he plays for a bad team who isn't going to be able to afford him when the time comes. I don't see why they wouldn't get what they can for him now. I would like the DBacks to at least explore the option and see what it would take.

Why would SD move him within the division!?

brutus1303

Rookie
Reaction score
Why would SD move him within the division!?

If it's the best offer, why wouldn't they?

If they were on the verge of being competitive in the division then I would agree with you, but with where they are right now I don't see why that would be too big of an issue.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If it's the best offer, why wouldn't they?

If they were on the verge of being competitive in the division then I would agree with you, but with where they are right now I don't see why that would be too big of an issue.

I highly doubt San Diego would trade within the division, especially a very good reliever. Josh Byrnes should of signed Valverde when he had the chance in the offseason but he opted to save the extra few million and get guys like Heilman and Howry.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score

It would take a hell of a lot more than that to get Bell.

The Pads will get 2 1st rounders for him should he walk. You always have to pay a premium if you are going to trade within the division. Any deal would have to start with Jarrod Parker. Just not happening.