D-Backs don't want to rush Jackson

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Touted prospect will start season at Triple-A level

Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 16, 2005 12:00 AM

TUCSON - Mark Grace and Will Clark were huddled around a Diamondbacks minor league player earlier in camp, talking about the finer points of hitting and swapping spring training stories when an antsy autograph seeker felt the need to interrupt.

"I'm sorry, but I'd really be honored if you signed a baseball for me," the fan said.

He wasn't speaking to Grace or Clark, two of the better hitting and fielding first basemen of their eras who are in camp as part-time coaches and advisers.

The autograph hound was hot after the minor leaguer, Conor Jackson, who has yet to play a major league game. But he is one of the best pure hitters in the minors, having torn up pitchers at the Class A and Double-A levels last season.

"He's going to be a good one for a mighty long time," Clark said. "I can tell that just by the way he handles the bat."

Jackson is among Arizona's top-rated prospects, along with fellow outfielder Carlos Quentin and shortstop Sergio Santos.

Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin calls the trio of future stars the "crown jewels" of the franchise.

The club is doing its best to resist fast-tracking Jackson and his peers to the majors - there isn't enough room on this year's projected 25-man roster - but that hasn't stopped the Diamondbacks from getting them ready, just in case.

For Jackson, it has meant learning a new position, as Melvin and his staff have used the slugger mostly at first base this spring. Though he played both corner infield spots in college at California, he has shot up through the system as a corner outfielder, mostly left field.

"Wherever they want to put me, it's fine by me," Jackson said. "They can stick me behind the plate if they want to."

That won't be necessary. It's Jackson's bat that has everybody drooling. Jackson doesn't have the most accurate arm and he has average to below-average speed, but he has a knack for mistreating a baseball with authority.

Arizona's first pick in the 2003 draft, the 19th selection overall, Jackson was named the Northwest League's MVP after setting a league record with 35 doubles and also leading the league with 60 RBIs in just 68 games at short-season Class A Yakima.

Last season he posted a composite .324 average with 87 runs, 157 hits, 32 doubles, four triples, 17 home runs and 91 RBIs in 127 games split between Class A Lancaster and Double-A El Paso.

After the season, Jackson played for Scottsdale in the Arizona Fall League and finished tied for the league lead in homers (eight) in just 32 games.

"I had a lot of fun last year, but I was pretty shaky and had my share of butterflies when I got here," Jackson said, referring to his first big-league camp. "I've never experienced anything like this before, but it's been very, very educational for me."

Since getting over his case of the nerves, Jackson has blended in nicely. An approachable player with an outgoing personality - Santos calls him the biggest cut-up and practical joker among the three prospects - Jackson hasn't shied from conversations with old pros such as Luis Gonzalez, Tony Clark and Royce Clayton.

Or Clark and Grace, for that matter.

"A couple of those guys have already helped me with my swing," Jackson said, "and yeah, you bet, I listened. How can you not?"

Jackson is hitting .333 (7 for 21) with one home run and four strikeouts in 12 spring games. He isn't overly concerned about statistics, knowing he's Triple-A bound.

"I really wouldn't want to be anywhere else," Jackson said. "This is a great organization, they've treated me with nothing but the utmost respect and kindness, and I would like to return the favor to them as soon as possible."
The crown jewels
The three top-rated prospects in the Diamondbacks' organization:

CARLOS QUENTIN, OF
Solid right fielder with great range and strong arm. Quick bat; projects into a high-average, lower-range power hitter who uses all fields. Patient hitter who protects the plate, as proved by the 43 times he got plunked last year, believed to be a minor league record. He's ready now but won't vie for a starting assignment until 2006.

CONOR JACKSON, OF/1B
Smart, aggressive hitter who doesn't miss often or strike out much for a power guy. Grades out a little under the charts defensively and doesn't have great speed, but appears ready to hit major league pitching right now. Will bide his time at Triple-A Tucson until a spot becomes available or is made for him.

SERGIO SANTOS, SS
First-round pick in 2002 (27th overall) has battled some shoulder problems but is big (6-3, 190) and dependable in the field and at the plate. He gets to balls you don't think he will and makes all the routine plays. Has shown decent power offensively. In another year, figures to be the club's shortstop.
Quick Q&A
What type of music gets you going?
''I listen to just about anything possible. I just started playing the guitar, though, and right now I'm kind of into the blues."

What kind of guitar are you playing?
''An acoustic. I'm about to go out and buy a Martin right now as we speak."

Movies or television?
''I'm a big movie guy. I can sit down and watch movies all day long when I'm not playing."

Favorite movie of all-time?
''Swingers, no doubt about it."

Stupidest movie that made a ton of cash?
''Titanic, of course."

Where do you like to hang out when you're not at the ballpark?
''I'm a huge live music fan. I love going to concerts. But I'm a big couch guy, too. Especially during the season."

Best ESPN host?
''Harold Reynolds" (ESPN baseball analyst).

Best reality show?
''Temptation Island. That's by far my favorite. That, and The Surreal Life on VH1."

Baseball idol as a youth?
''George Brett. And Kirk Gibson, for sure."
Buff beer
Every time the Oakland Athletics take the field for a spring training game at Phoenix Municipal Stadium, the barbed-wire tattoo circling T.J. O'Connor's biceps is stretched tighter and tighter. O'Connor, 23, is a beer hawker at the stadium by day and a server at Claim Jumper in Scottsdale by night. At games he totes two 5-gallon buckets filled with 20 beers and ice, which he says weigh about 40 pounds each.

"I've been selling for three years and it's a lot of fun," said O'Connor, a Michigan transplant who lives in Chandler. "I probably go up and down these stairs 60 or 70 times a game, and I do it sometimes on consecutive days. I'm pretty tired at the end of the game. It feels like my arms have grown about half an inch."

O'Connor is an independent contractor. He pays $5.50 for each bottle of beer and sells them for $6 - hey, call it a 50-cent "carrying" charge. He says, for the most part, the fans are great and the job is fun.

"Well, the beer is $6, so some people complain about the price, but that comes with going to the ballpark," he said. "You see some funny things, too. Last year a couple guys took our empty buckets of ice and started throwing water and ice over the fans. It was pretty funny and everybody was having a great time."

No one is more pleased than O'Connor that rain clouds have been replaced recently by the Arizona sun. "Nice days like this make my job even easier," he said, surveying a blue, sun-filled sky. "The fans are happy and everybody is drinking."

Cha-ching!

- Tim Tyers

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0316dbacks0316.html