Cp3s role

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We gotta just hope he can will himself to some good games. He has shot poorly but, other than that, he's playing good enough right now. I have no problem that other guys are often bringing the ball up the court, let them push the pace, Paul isn't just old but he's used to playing slow.

Unless he retires, he will probably be back next year, as will Payne. The options in free agency are brutal.

Keep in mind the biggest contract we can offer is like... 8 million.

A few guys we can't afford and a whole lot of flat out garbage who wouldn't even see time over Payne.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's going to need some serious rest with that hand injury to get right. I hope Payne comes back soon, and we can keep this series from going 6 or 7 games. But it sure feels like this is going to be a 7 game series.

Either way the wolves will done and nuggets will be waiting whether we win in 5 or 7.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We gotta just hope he can will himself to some good games. He has shot poorly but, other than that, he's playing good enough right now. I have no problem that other guys are often bringing the ball up the court, let them push the pace, Paul isn't just old but he's used to playing slow.

Unless he retires, he will probably be back next year, as will Payne. The options in free agency are brutal.

A few guys we can't afford and a whole lot of flat out garbage who wouldn't even see time over Payne.

In regard to cheap point guard depth, I have hope for Saban Lee to develop if the Suns decide to keep him.

I wouldn't mind Raul Neto if he would come here. Cam Payne misses a lot of games.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

And Craig is a UFA -- he should be on that list. (Edit: Oh, I see the list is for PGs only, never mind.)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope, just pointing out his Game 2 performance which saved the game for us. Did you see that game? Are you saying that he wasn't good and clutch in that game?
This is what happens as players age out. They can still look like their old selves every once in a while. They become fools gold. You think they still have it, but they have it less and less of the time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just looking at the Suns roster. The only guaranteed contracts they have this summer are Book, KD, Ayton, and Shamet. If they wanted to rebuild around Book and KD, they might be able to.

There are going to be lots of changes this summer regardless of what happens. We will find out what kind of drawing power Book and KD have. Seems like players really love playing with Book.

There are creative things that can be done. Free agency is our future.

Maybe we can find a way to sign Cam Johnson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looking at the Suns roster. The only guaranteed contracts they have this summer are Book, KD, Ayton, and Shamet. If they wanted to rebuild around Book and KD, they might be able to.

There are going to be lots of changes this summer regardless of what happens. We will find out what kind of drawing power Book and KD have. Seems like players really love playing with Book.

There are creative things that can be done. Free agency is our future.

Maybe we can find a way to sign Cam Johnson.

The Suns really don't have a lot of assets to trade or the money to sign free agents other than the MLE and the Biannual Exception.

I view Shamet as a negative asset other than perhaps as an expiring contract.

With Ayton's contract, I'm uncertain if he has a lot of value unless he drastically improves his play. I'm sure there is a trade to be made but it may not yield a lot of quality in return.

Chris Paul's contract is guaranteed for about $15 million and much more if the Suns keep him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns really don't have a lot of assets to trade or the money to sign free agents other than the MLE and the Biannual Exception.

I view Shamet as a negative asset other than perhaps as an expiring contract.

With Ayton's contract, I'm uncertain if he has a lot of value unless he drastically improves his play. I'm sure there is a trade to be made but it may not yield a lot of quality in return.

Chris Paul's contract is guaranteed for about $15 million and much more if the Suns keep him.
Expiring contracts have proven to be really valuable trade assets in this league.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Suns do not have much in the way of draft picks to sweeten any trade.
I have seen plenty of moves where the expiring contract is the main thing in the trade. You may not have to really sweeten it.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CP3 finds ways to make an impact even when his shot is not falling. People just ignore his steals, defense, assists and just general floor management way too much around here. People defend lazy ass Ayton till the cows come home but then bag on the HOF older vet busting his ass every game to make an impact… five me that ******* guy on my team all day everyday over the loading DA!!!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen plenty of moves where the expiring contract is the main thing in the trade. You may not have to really sweeten it.

The Suns are really limited in what they can do because of the luxury tax unless they trade Ayton. About all they have to use in trade are second round picks plus a contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 finds ways to make an impact even when his shot is not falling. People just ignore his steals, defense, assists and just general floor management way too much around here. People defend lazy ass Ayton till the cows come home but then bag on the HOF older vet busting his ass every game to make an impact… five me that ******* guy on my team all day everyday over the loading DA!!!

I definitely agree with you about Chris Paul. The Suns don't beat the Clippers without Ayton.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are really limited in what they can do because of the luxury tax unless they trade Ayton. About all they have to use in trade are second round picks plus a contract.
That's my thinking. I think they will do exactly that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For clarification I mean trade Shamet for another player and throw in a 2nd rounder.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For clarification I mean trade Shamet for another player and throw in a 2nd rounder.

I understood what you meant. No matter how you slice it, the Suns won't have a lot of more money to spend on players.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understood what you meant. No matter how you slice it, the Suns won't have a lot of more money to spend on players.
There are ways it just depends on the new owner’s willingness to spend. The cap is projected to go up. Didn’t realize the Clippers have the highest payroll of any team right now no wonder they are so freaking deep over 192mil payroll…

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Expiring contracts don't hold the value they did 10 or even 5 years ago. What deals have been made recently that involved expirings without draft picks have been made for starter level players over the last 5 years?

The idea of moving an expiring for value without picks attached is like planning on winning the lottery. It's possible, sure, but very unlikely.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to note, the Suns and James Jones have let many expiring contracts just expire. When you're in the luxury tax, it's not surprising to see that happen. Over the last 5 years though the Suns let Tyson Chandler, Tyler Johnson, Frank Kaminsky, Austin Rivers, and Kyle Korver's expiring deals all just expire. They didn't parlay them into any sort of value but I remember many here, myself included, talk about what we could get in return for them only to see those hopes dashed.

I also think Jae Crowder belongs in that list, regardless of his inclusion in the KD deal. He didn't need to be used in that manner as he was being shopped for 6+ months and we couldn't find a deal for him so he got rolled into the KD mega deal. That was a waste of an asset. He had more value than Landry Shamet, for example, and it would have been better to include Shamet or Saric in the KD deal and move Crowder elsewhere for value. The Nets wouldn't have balked at that change. So I don't believe he should count as an expiring dealt for value. I'm just not using him as an example of an expiring slipping by without any value received in return because the above brought literally nothing back while Crowder was at least used in a trade, even if sold short.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Suns have no chance to go under the salary cap with any hope of build a sound roster around KD and Booker. So, they almost have to keep CP3 for next season, and the only way to get some room for roster manuver is to trade DA and Shamet and possibly Payne for some asset and try to resign some of FAs with either our bird rights like Craig, Biyombo, Landale or our exceptions. As Pacers have cap room, DA+Shamet for Turner, + either Hield or a couple of their young guys would be feasible. Not sure whether the new CBA would alter the situation much though.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Expiring contracts don't hold the value they did 10 or even 5 years ago. What deals have been made recently that involved expirings without draft picks have been made for starter level players over the last 5 years?

The idea of moving an expiring for value without picks attached is like planning on winning the lottery. It's possible, sure, but very unlikely.
I think this is true for the most part.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are ways it just depends on the new owner’s willingness to spend. The cap is projected to go up. Didn’t realize the Clippers have the highest payroll of any team right now no wonder they are so freaking deep over 192mil payroll…

I'm not going to pretend to know all the complexities of the new CBA, but it will definitely curb spending for such teams as the Clippers, Warriors and the Suns too. The Suns will not be able to spend freely to improve their roster.

The paragraph below from ESPN best describes it.

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Senior NBA Insider:

The NBA is curbing the ability of the highest-spending teams, such as the Golden State Warriors and the LA Clippers, to continue running up salary and luxury tax spending while still maintaining mechanisms to add talent to the roster. The league is implementing a second salary cap apron -- $17.5 million over the tax line -- and those teams will lose several key team building mechanisms, including the taxpayer mid-level exception, utilizing cash in trades, moving first-round picks in drafts that are seven years away, signing free agent players in the buyout market and taking on more money than is being sent out in trades, sources said.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose