Could Sammy Watkins be the answer at WR?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll start off by saying, we absolutely cannot afford to sign Sammy Watkins without some drastic changes. For sure AQ and Drake would have to walk, or Hump. And I'm in the camp of rolling with the WR's we have next year. But for arguments sake...

Sammy Watkins will almost certainly be a cap casualty this year. He is getting payed $16m and is arguably the 3rd / 4th receiving option on the roster. They have Hardman and Robinson coming through and don't need Watkins. They do need money to sign Chris Jones.

Watkins is still only 26 years old and hasn't hit 1000 yards since 2015. But he has the ability, he has been limited by injury and target share. He has 6 seasons of football at 26, that some experience.

I'd say because of his recent history is top end market value is $13m per. That could be money well spent for a 26 year old outside receiver of his ability...if we can get him back on form and give him the targets he needs.

Would you take the risk?

Don't say you would rather have Lamb at #8. Lamb has never caught a pass in the league. He has as much chance of busting as Corey Coleman.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
good but not great

if a free agent, he would be looking at his fourth team in.... 6 years?

i dont think he would command a giant $7 -$9mm per

i do think he is an option at the right price

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sammy has had only 2 games with at least 80 yards/1 TD.

That was the first game of the season & against Houston in the playoffs.

This is despite Hill, Kelce, & Hardman taking most of the attention.

Go back a 2 years earlier when Gurley, Woods, & Kupp were taking the attention & he still didn’t do much.

Lamb also has as much of a chance being a lot better than Sammy ever was & I don’t even want Lamb at #8.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
good but not great

if a free agent, he would be looking at his fourth team in.... 6 years?

i dont think he would command giant $ -- $7 -$9mm per maybe?

i do think he is an option at the right price

Agree, that would be the right price but I'm mixed on him as he has not been consistent.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Watkins is the ultimate tease and that's why he's been getting paid. He has size/speed/hands but just never seems to produce all that much.
I think he and Ted Ginn are similar players.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9 m per and we’re gonna bitch about Fitz getting 11. Umm, no. Injuries for one and I believe he has had more than average of drops.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is the 6th option on that Chief's offense. The forgotten man and the reason he was so wide open on that one play. Hardly got on the field in Buffalo and not much more in KC. If he is UFA someone will sign him... At that price he would be stealing money.

$2m/ year with games played incentive.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Haven't read any replies in this thread, just the the title. The answer is NO!

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keim just paid $11 million (13.5% of free agency money total) on Fitz and his 50 yards a game + 1 TD every four games while being covered by the other teams 3rd and 4th CB.

now you wanna spend more on another WR!?! LOL

Cap people....there's a cap

Cards got another $10 million being paid to David 'who' Johnson...but that's not counted on the remaining cap.

Cards needs ARE NOT at WR - though they need help....it's 100% O line and D line
Keim's amazing job of drafting O and D line has left the team with tv commentators going into the game saying 'who's on the line for the Cardinals? Is that really the starters?'
The ONLY starter is Chandler Jones and Humphries (mind you Humphries only started trying during his contract year - and mind you he can not run block at all - was dang good at pass pro - he's a heavy heavy risk to pay). The rest couldn't start for another team.

If the Cards don't spend 70% of the remaining money redoing the O and D line - they'll be lucky to win 3 games next year....and you might see Murray headed to a baseball career in 3 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim just paid $11 million (13.5% of free agency money total) on Fitz and his 50 yards a game + 1 TD every four games while being covered by the other teams 3rd and 4th CB.

now you wanna spend more on another WR!?! LOL

Cap people....there's a cap

Cards got another $10 million being paid to David 'who' Johnson...but that's not counted on the remaining cap.

Cards needs ARE NOT at WR - though they need help....it's 100% O line and D line
Keim's amazing job of drafting O and D line has left the team with tv commentators going into the game saying 'who's on the line for the Cardinals? Is that really the starters?'
The ONLY starter is Chandler Jones and Humphries (mind you Humphries only started trying during his contract year - and mind you he can not run block at all - was dang good at pass pro - he's a heavy heavy risk to pay). The rest couldn't start for another team.

If the Cards don't spend 70% of the remaining money redoing the O and D line - they'll be lucky to win 3 games next year....and you might see Murray headed to a baseball career in 3 years.

I don't want to spend anything. I don't think we need a WR this year.

But the time will come when Fitz needs replacing and Watkins is only 26.

I do not trust Keim to draft a 1st round WR. If the options are a high pick or sign a vet I'm opting for the vet.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't want to spend anything. I don't think we need a WR this year.

But the time will come when Fitz needs replacing and Watkins is only 26.

I do not trust Keim to draft a 1st round WR. If the options are a high pick or sign a vet I'm opting for the vet.
Eh, but If keim were to go this route....you would hope he would sign a productive receiver and avoid receivers like Sammy Watkins.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh, but If keim were to go this route....you would hope he would sign a productive receiver and avoid receivers like Sammy Watkins.

I will say this. Sammy Watkins had two of the greatest offensive minds in football pick him up for their offense. The Rams and McVay traded a 2nd and EJ Gaines and the Chiefs and Reid gave him a fat deal.

I absolutely agree he has under performed but thats generally been down to injuries. His career average is 56 yards per game. Thats more than Manny Sanders, Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate, Fitz and Theilen and only a fraction off Godwin and Davante Adams.

Like I say I'm not making the case for Watkins, although I don't think he's the bust people are making him out to be.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will say this. Sammy Watkins had two of the greatest offensive minds in football pick him up for their offense. The Rams and McVay traded a 2nd and EJ Gaines and the Chiefs and Reid gave him a fat deal.

I absolutely agree he has under performed but thats generally been down to injuries. His career average is 56 yards per game. Thats more than Manny Sanders, Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate, Fitz and Theilen and only a fraction off Godwin and Davante Adams.

Like I say I'm not making the case for Watkins, although I don't think he's the bust people are making him out to be.
He’s the Sam Bradford of WRs.

You’re so against the selection of WR(which is an obvious need to almost everyone here but you apparently) that you want to sign the Sam Bradford of WRs.

I don’t even want a WR at 8. I wouldn’t exactly lose my mind over it, but I would rather go Wirfs/Willis. However, the fact you don’t think we need to draft a WR at all is flirting on a fine line between crazy & insanity.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s the Sam Bradford of WRs.

You’re so against the selection of WR(which is an obvious need to almost everyone here but you apparently) that you want to sign the Sam Bradford of WRs.

I don’t even want a WR at 8. I wouldn’t exactly lose my mind over it, but I would rather go Wirfs/Willis. However, the fact you don’t think we need to draft a WR at all is flirting on a fine line between crazy & insanity.

Firstly, there are huge numbers of fans that don't see the need to draft a WR this year. It's all over every ROTB article or Twitter post on the subject.

Second, I never said we don't need to draft a WR at all. I said THIS year. I want to see how the 4 young receivers develop before I say fudge you guys. The 2021 class will be just as stacked.

Finally, save the personal insults. I could say exactly the same about anyone who looks at this O line, D line and defense as a whole and says a WR at #8 is the answer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave