Could Cardinals return to St Louis

USAFMEDIC

Veteran
Reaction score
As a guy born and raised in St Louis, NO. The Cardinals are in a perfect spot in Arizona. Why throw that all away. Dynamic stadium, great fans, growing community... pretty sure from talking to a lot of fans in St Louis, they might someday get an expansion team, but that is all they want. No more transplants. Would not wish what happened in St Louis on anybody.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Now that Rams have left, that opens up St Louis for a return of the Cards. If that would happen, then Phoenix could be a spot for the Chargers or Raiders. Go back to late 80s and I bet most of us would have loved to had either of those 2 teams over the Cards come to Phoenix. Stranger things have happened.

I don't see any way Cards move back to St. Louis for the following reasons:

1. They (Bidwills) left that city pretty much despised by everyone there.
2. The population of St. Louis has declined over the last 10 years. It's currently a dying market in need of drastic revitalization to turn around.
3. The population of Mesa, AZ alone is 25% larger than St. Louis
4. The population of Phoenix has risen to 6th largest in US and has 1.1 million more citizens than St. Louis.
5. Just like the NFL is doing all they can to get into the LA market, they won't leave Phoenix - Heck, Bettman and the NHL are doing all they can to ensure the 'Yotes stay here.

Oh, and back in the late 80's, I was already a "Phoenix" Cardinal fan, so the heck with the Chargers and Raiders. :)

Go Cards!!!

chickenhead

Reaction score
Wow, lots of emotional reactions here to pretty idle speculation. It's unlikely the Cardinals would return to St. Louis, but to act like it's impossible is equally naive. Anyway, let's not forget, it's pro sports: the greater threat is such a move being used as blackmail.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow, lots of emotional reactions here to pretty idle speculation. It's unlikely the Cardinals would return to St. Louis, but to act like it's impossible is equally naive. Anyway, let's not forget, it's pro sports: the greater threat is such a move being used as blackmail.

Good point and while this topic may seem absurd, I would have never imagined the Browns leaving Cleveland. Never.

USAFMEDIC

Veteran
Reaction score
When you talk about St Louis, you have to talk about the metro area as a whole. As the city itself has only 300,000 or so people, the metro is around three million. Many people, including my family, just moved out to the surrounding counties. It is now the largest TV market in the USA without the NFL. That said, the Cardinals need and will certainly stay put.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Way back in 1964, I was a 6 year old that fell in love with the St. Louis Cardinals football team. I had just watched my St. Louis Cardinals beat the hated New York Yankees in the World Series. I thought it was so great that both my football team & baseball team went by the same name. I can't put into words how upset I was when the Cardinals moved to AZ. I contemplated changing my allegiance, but there was no way I could ever root against anyone wearing a Cardinal uniform. No effing way. I hated Bill Bidwill, I hated watching the Cardinals having to play 3 of 4, sometimes 4 of 5 road games to start EVERY season. I hated seeing half empty stands in Sun Devil Stadium. I hated hearing loud cheers when the opposing team scored in OUR stadium. I hated everything about the early decades in AZ. At least the Cardinals had some really decent teams in the 60's, 70's & 80's in St. Louis. The AZ Cardinals were just so pathetically bad for so many years.

But, we're now beyond that. Michael has done such a wonderful job since he took over the day to day operations. The new stadium meant EVERYTHING! We are now positioned to be a proud and successful franchise moving forward. I wish I was 20 years younger, but I'm still somewhat confident that I'll someday see a SB Championship. Bottom line, there's no looking back now. Happy & excited about being an Arizona Cardinal fan!!!

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When you talk about St Louis, you have to talk about the metro area as a whole. As the city itself has only 300,000 or so people, the metro is around three million. Many people, including my family, just moved out to the surrounding counties. It is now the largest TV market in the USA without the NFL. That said, the Cardinals need and will certainly stay put.

Actually there are two other TV markets that are bigger that don't have NFL teams. Sacramento is #20 on Nielsen's DMA market size rankings and Orlando is #19. St Louis comes right behind them at 21. The smallest TV market with a team is Buffalo at #53, unless you don't count Milwaukee in with Green Bay which is 68 and just a little bigger than Tucson.
Phoenix is #12 on the list.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Now that Rams have left, that opens up St Louis for a return of the Cards. If that would happen, then Phoenix could be a spot for the Chargers or Raiders. Go back to late 80s and I bet most of us would have loved to had either of those 2 teams over the Cards come to Phoenix. Stranger things have happened.

Bruce Jenner became a woman, so yes the Cards could move back to the Lou...and before anyone says anything, you know you thought that was strange too, so don't judge me.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards have a 0% probability of a move back to St. Louis until the Bidwills don't own the team. Then, the odds will shoot up to less than 1%.

So, yes, it could happen. Anything can happen in this universe, but that doesn't mean it's all worth talking about.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
[/B][/I]

Bruce Jenner became a woman, so yes the Cards could move back to the Lou...and before anyone says anything, you know you thought that was strange too, so don't judge me.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

From all reports he's not a woman yet if you know what I mean. ;)

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Okay, how about this: in the spirit of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, the Cards decide that Arizona summers are simply too hot (even with a beautiful domed stadium at their disposal). So, they move back to St. Louis, but, once they get there, realize that the miss The Valley. Therefore, they become...the Arizona Cardinals of St. Louis. ;)

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Okay, how about this: in the spirit of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, the Cards decide that Arizona summers are simply too hot (even with a beautiful domed stadium at their disposal). So, they move back to St. Louis, but, once they get there, realize that the miss The Valley. Therefore, they become...the Arizona Cardinals of St. Louis. ;)

Or, stay in Glendale, and become...the St. Louis Football Cardinals of Arizona.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay, how about this: in the spirit of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim,

Nooooooo!! As an Angels fan I HATE that name.

It's the second most shameful thing that has ever happened to the team. The first being not re-signing Nolan Ryan.

(The third, in case you were wondering, was the day they started confiscating tortillas so we wouldn't toss them from the upper deck. Personally... I always thought decision that had racial undertones.:p)

Last edited:

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nooooooo!! As an Angels fan I HATE that name.

It's the second most shameful thing that has ever happened to the team. The first being not re-signing Nolan Ryan.

(The third, in case you were wondering, was the day they started confiscating tortillas so we wouldn't toss them from the upper deck. Personally... I always thought that had racial undertones.:p)

I used to go to loads of games at the Big A when I was younger. Loved the Angels back in those (Nolan Ryan, Frank Tanana, Don Baylor, etc.) days. But yeah, hate the name and the anti-fan friendly environment there. I've never felt less valued as a paying customer at a sporting event than i did when going to Angels games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard