Core? Who are the members...

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With Q's departure, he seem perplexed and mumbled "I thought I was a part of the core".

Thinking about this, a thread seemed the right thing.

Who is a member of the Core?

Amare - Without a doubt the kingpin.
Nash - Makes the world go round.

What about JJ and Marion?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the core is Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, and Steve Nash. I know they talked about trading Shawn Marion for Tracy McGrady last summer, but I think he will be with the team for the long haul.

Joe Mama

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
I worked for a car dealership while in college. Someone once showed interest in the owners personal car. I told the customer that it was the owners, and it wasn't for sale. The owner got word and said, "When you are in business, everything is for sale if you can get the right price."

I think the remaining 4 starters are the core. If someone wanted Marion bad enough, the Sun's braintrust would pull the trigger. It would have to be a great deal though.

fordronken

Reaction score
For me, honestly, and I know this sounds a little excessive, the "core" is Amare. That's it. If Nash, JJ and Marion stay on the team for three years and win championships, I'll change my opinion. But right now, it's just him.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
fordronken said:
For me, honestly, and I know this sounds a little excessive, the "core" is Amare. That's it. If Nash, JJ and Marion stay on the team for three years and win championships, I'll change my opinion. But right now, it's just him.

There is always a chance that someone will make an offer the Suns can't refuse, but that is not the same as shopping a player. Marion for T-Mac does not diminish Marion considering how good T-Mac is.

I seriously doubt the Suns will break this team up for the next few years. After that, they will either be champions or looking to make a change.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt the Suns will break this team up for the next few years. After that, they will either be champions or looking to make a change.

You can't be serious. Brian Colangelo will always tinker and always undervalue draft picks. Trading Q already made a huge alteration to the team. We'll see. I can't believe Marion is untouchable.

The Suns have a long history of impatience. And I do like the trade but I mistrust the future.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
fordronken said:
I agree with this. Amare is the only untouchable part to this team. Everyone else can be traded if the right deal is on the table.

cly2tw

Reaction score
For Amare, the word is Franchise player. The second most important link for the Suns is Nash. Beyond that it's "nice if we have them to the right price but there are plenty of alternatives to make the team work without them". So, if push comes to shove, I'd also squeeze Joe into the periphery of the "core". :D

TopGamer

Veteran
Reaction score
It depends on which day of the week it is for the Suns. I have no idea. Marion probably thought he was part of the core too after the trade talk last summer.

But I think it's Amare and Nash.