"Core" of the team

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Odd though that after all the grief guys like Dansby and Branch have taken for being contract year players that Dockett has his worst season statistically since 2006. Same goes for Wilson.

What the heck is wrong in Arizona that players either can't wait to get out of town or just mail it in once they get their money?

I don't think or believe Wilson has mailed it in. He is just plain old. He has been taking NFL punishment for 10 years now. HE has certainly lost a step or two. He was rewarded for past performance to late in the game IMO.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't think or believe Wilson has mailed it in. He is just plain old. He has been taking NFL punishment for 10 years now. HE has certainly lost a step or two. He was rewarded for past performance to late in the game IMO.

Probably true. I've also noticed that he's not been the same since the NFL started fining him every time he had a big hit which had been his trademark.

It's not just Wilson either. It is getting ridiculous watching guys try to pull up.

Won't be long before some anal Doctor starts to complain about arm injuries to players caused by throwing their arms up in the air trying to show the refs and the NFL they were trying to stop.
It is becoming a new form of the chest bump. :)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's easier to just identify who needs to be replaced.

On offense.

QB. We need to go out and get a guy like Kolb. That would go a long way to solving this qb problem. If Skelton were to be the guy the FO thinks he is, great. What a nice dilema we would have after living thru this year. We have not seen enough of Skelton where we can rest assured he is the guy to lead us next year. This division stinks and we are just a solid qb away from at least being a contender. WOuld be great for the entire offense if we could learn how to run a screen pass.
WR. Sign Breaston and let the others fight it out for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th receiver.
TE. Do we even have one? I am shocked at how under used our TE's are especially with rookie QB's and defense's keying so much on Breaston and Fitz. Maybe it's the play calling? Hmmm.
RB. Nothing is going to change here but there is one thing that should change. We need to become a more straight ahead down hill power type running team.
OL. I think some, not all, of our short comings along the line is a lack of identity. switching Qb's, cadance, strengths and weakness depending on what qb playing at the time and scheme. Changes must be made but the coaching staff needs to decide if we want finesse or power. We shouldn't be asking 320 lb guards to be pulling, at least not on a regular basis.

Defense.
Scheme is the top concern. Are we 3-4? Are we 4-3? What the hell are we? Again, no identity. This hybrid crap has got too many players thinking to much instead of playing.
DL. I see nothing wrong with the players we have. Dockett, Campbell, Williams, Branch, Watson( what is the staff's problem with this guy?) Iwebema can all be part of this squad. Robinson is done. A pure pass rusher in the draft would free up Campbell to play ANYWHERE along the line and create a matchup nightmare for opposing offenses.
LB. Quality needs to be added here. Goodbye Porter. Hayes has just about had it. Haggans, Schofield, Washington, Walker, Lenon is a fair start but add a Chad Greenway to the mix and suddenly we'd be a whole lot better.
Db. DRC's only downfall is being able to focus 100% of the time. He seems to fall asleep when there is nothing to play for. He's not going anywhere. Toler is no problem. He's big, scrappy and with a little pass rush is more than adequate.
Safety. WIlson has gotten to apoint where he needs to be removed in certain situations. Johnson seems to be coming around and Rhodes played pretty well,(imo).

We need to solve our QB situation and some quallity to our OL on offense.

On defense we need a change at DC and add a top tier free agent LB ( like Greenway) and draft the best pass rusher coming out of college.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
In truth I can think of only two core guys, Fitz and Dockett. There are players who could develop into core components, guys like Calais Campbell, Daryl Washington and DRC. But right now I only consider Fitz and Dockett as core players. But there are also several "important" pieces like Steve Breaston, Tim Hightower and Deuce Lutui that should be signed or extended at some point IMO.

The Cardinals lost three critical pieces of their core over the offseason in Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin and Karlos Dansby and it shows in the lousy record this season. The offense lost two dynamic leaders in Warner and Boldin and it shows. The Cardinals are the weakest team in a very weak division playing one of the weakest schedules in the league. There is no way to sugar-coat this season as anything less than an unmitigated disaster IMO.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
1. Larry
2. Breaston
3.-4. Traded to the defense

1. Dockett
2. Williams
3. Campbell
4. Washington
5. Wilson
6. DRC

Next in line: Rhodes

It's time to bring in a high profile DC who has a clue. It's obvious where the talent should be on this team.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
Offense:
1. L. Fitzgerald
2. B. Wells
3. S. Breaston
4. "D". Lutui

Defense:
1. D. Dockett
2. D. Washington
3. DRC