Consider PF Ed Davis

Errntknght

Reaction score
It would be great to have Kevin Love but being that seems highly unlikely, I did some sifting through the other youngish PFs to see who minght help us with our woeful rebounding from that position. I looked at guys that are kind of flying below the radar at present with the primary requirement for rebounding at a 50% higher rate than Channing Frye, and who's defensive stats were passable - comparable to our guys, at least. I didn't include John Henson and Terrance Ross since they are fairly visible already.

The first guy I looked at was Ed Davis from the Grizz - I've been keeping my eye on him a bit since he came over from Toronto in the Rudy Gay deal. He was a first round pick in 2010 (#13) and he is not listed as having a salary beyond 2013-14 so it appears he is available. He's been nailed to the bench behind Zach for a season and a half and he's competing with two other young PF's - Jon Leuer and James Johnson for PT. (Plus Kosta Koufos, a C) All of them averaging under 15 minutes per game - 40% less than he was getting in Toronto. Zach has one more year remaining and I can't imagine Davis is happy about playing in his shadow for another year. You'd certainly think he'd be tickled to have another team bidding for his services, especially one in desparate need of them.

Ed is not a big time scorer but he's efficient - .542 FG% for his career. Points 13.4/36 this last year compared to Frye at 14.1. His rebounding is almost exactly fifty percent higher than Frye - 9.8/36 vs Frye's 6.5, and career is 10.2 so it wasn't a fluke year. Statistically, his defensive numbers are better than Frye's as well. Frye's numbers aren't shabby as he held opponents to 52.2% at the rim (Tracking Data, Defensive Impact). Davis held opps to 42.5%, one of best numbers in the league. Blocked 1.6 shots per 36 vs. 1.0 for Channing.

I checked out quite a few other players and listed four of the more interesting ones below... none of them are at the end of their contracts now but we might be able to trade for one. O'Quinn was a second round pick two years ago and his contract runs out after 2014-15 so he's worth bearing in mind if we're still looking then. I also listed Frye, Markieff and three of the top PF's for comparison purposes.

The stats Rebs, Blks, Pts and FTA are per 36 minutes. Rim D % is from Tracking Data, Defensive Impact as mentioned above. Off Eff is my own stat and PFs as whole averaged 2.07, (effectively weighted by playing time.) The numbers are for the year 2013-14.

Cur Rim Off
Player Team Age Ht Wt | Rebs D.% Blks Pts Eff FTA

Frye Phx 31 6'10 245 | 6.5 52.2 1.0 14.1 1.75 1.5
Markieff Phx 24 6'10 245 | 8.1 56.1 .9 18.7 2.06 5.5

Ed Davis Mem 25 6'10 225| 9.8 42.5 1.6 13.4 2.35 3.4

O'Quinn Orl 24 6'10 250| 11.0 46.2 2.7 13.0 2.02 2.5
Ty Zeller Cle 24 7'0 253 | 9.6 47.3 1.3 13.7 2.32 4.1 listed as Center
Sullinger Bos 22 6'9 260| 10.6 53.9 .9 17.3 1.90 3.6 listed as Center
Robinson Port 23 6'10 237| 12.6 56.2 .8 13.9 1.98 4.1

Anth. Davis Nor 21 6'10 220 | 10.3 48.9 2.9 21.3 2.49 6.7
Kevin Love Min 25 6'10 243 | 12.4 57.4 .5 25.9 2.39 8.1
L. Aldridge Port 28 6'11 240 | 11.0 49.9 1.0 23.1 1.94 5.2

Crap! Its impossible to get tabular data lined up!

Last edited:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
If you're copy/pasting from excel you could try wrapping it around [ code ] text here [ /code ]

Should turn out something like this:
Code:
Player	Team 	Age	Ht 	Wt	 Rebs 	D.% 	Blks 	Pts 	Eff	 FTA
Frye	Phx	31	6'10	245	6.5	52.2	1	14.1	1.75	1.5
Kieff	Phx	24	6'10	245	8.1	56.1	0.9	18.7	2.06	5.5

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
At 6'10" - 225 lbs., does Ed Davis have the bulk to hold his ground against the big boys in the post?

OP
OP
E

Errntknght

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Suns_fan, but I'm just typing or pasting from Notepad. I did think of going 'advanced' and found the font 'Lucida Console' which has fixed width characters. I'm embedding a little test case in this post to see how that works.

Curr
team Age

Ed Davis Mem 25 6'10 225 9.8
K.O'Quinn Orl 24 6'10 250 11.0

Edit: As you can see that didn't work either.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't know much about him other than we make him look like a superstar at times. I don't know if that's us or if that's him. Either way, if he isn't too expensive he'd be a nice add.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work Errntknght.

As I recall in one game I watched him play he looked like a world beater and the other game not so much. I'd like him as a backup PF as he stays close to the basket, defends and can rebound. He would be a nice addition if the Suns do not significantly upgrade the PF position.

asudevil83

Reaction score
I honestly see more potential in trading for a guy like Thomas Robinson than Ed Davis. Robinson is in the same position as Davis (off the bench behind an allstar), but is 2 years younger.

Portland traded for him for cheaps, but they havent got much out of him. They need quality bench players moving forward and cant afford to have a rookie contract eating up their cap.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly see more potential in trading for a guy like Thomas Robinson than Ed Davis. Robinson is in the same position as Davis (off the bench behind an allstar), but is 2 years younger.

Portland traded for him for cheaps, but they havent got much out of him. They need quality bench players moving forward and cant afford to have a rookie contract eating up their cap.

He is an interesting option. However, I wonder why he is moving from team to team.

asudevil83

Reaction score
He is an interesting option. However, I wonder why he is moving from team to team.

i think its pretty simple.

He was drafted by the Kings which were a MESS at the time. He was a casualty of cost cutting measures before the team was sold. Hell that franchise still has no idea what its doing.

He was traded from Houston because his cap hit was just too much compared to his ability to contribute NOW, and the Rockets wanted to sign Dwight.

And now he's stuck playing behind Aldridge.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Isn't Robinson also very good friend/ almost family with the Morris twins, or am I confusing him with someone else?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't Robinson also very good friend/ almost family with the Morris twins, or am I confusing him with someone else?

No, you have it right. The twins took him under their wings after some personal tragedies, Robinson even moved in with them IIRC.

Steve

OP
OP
E

Errntknght

Reaction score
asudevil83,

I suggested Robinson last summer when it appeared Houston wanted to shuffle him away but I cooled on him a bit watching him play for Portland - he seemed rather lost on defense. Still, I love his rebounding numbers - the main reason I listed him this time. He does like to get out and run the floor so he might fit better with us than his previous teams. If McD trades for him I wouldn't complain.

I don't see Davis' two more years of experience than TR as a bad thing as I think he could step right into the starting role in place of Frye, improving our rebounding significantly and be a plus defensively as well. Of course, he'd have to beat out Markieff for the starting role but who minds good, healthy competition.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thomas Robinson isn't good. It's possible to make a contribution off the bench as a PF even if you have a max contract guy ahead of you (see Taj Gobson).

He's very athletic but can't do much of anything else.

Basically a slightly bigger version of Hakim Warrick.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Ed Davis too. I have liked him since his Toronto days.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Thomas Robinson isn't good. It's possible to make a contribution off the bench as a PF even if you have a max contract guy ahead of you (see Taj Gobson).

He's very athletic but can't do much of anything else.

the difference between Alrdidge and and Boozer is night and day.

OP
OP
E

Errntknght

Reaction score
sunsfan88,

Your memory must be failing, Hakim was so bad I doubt if there is any one in the league who's worthy of a comparison to him on defense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sunsfan88,

Your memory must be failing, Hakim was so bad I doubt if there is any one in the league who's worthy of a comparison to him on defense.

Who was that guy here that used to complain about Warrick all the time? Man did that get old quick.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you aren't referring to me then you must be referring to yourself... you're so modest...

Oh I'm pretty sure I was the noisy one. Warrick just bugged me, so much talent but so destructive out there (to his own team).

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who was that guy here that used to complain about Warrick all the time? Man did that get old quick.

Steve

You may as well be referring to me. Even Amare and Nash's defense never got me as irritated as watching Warrick on that end.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You may as well be referring to me. Even Amare and Nash's defense never got me as irritated as watching Warrick on that end.
As much as I respect balance (in a ballplayer and team), their is a benefit to an instant-offense player on the roster -- if used properly.

Warrick did make things happen in spurts on offense. Every team could use one.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I respect balance (in a ballplayer and team), their is a benefit to an instant-offense player on the roster -- if used properly.

Warrick did make things happen in spurts on offense. Every team could use one.

Warrick would lose focus on offense for several game stretches. Combine his irregular approach to offense with his league worst team defense and he was a nightmare for coaches. Not opposing coaches, his own coaches. I've only lost it with three Suns during the internet era - Longley, Scola and Warrick. Hakim was by far the worst of the three and IMO he was easily the worst player ever to log decent minutes for the Suns. He could run, he could jump and he could wow the crowd occasionally but he didn't help you win games. Quite the contrary.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Warrick would lose focus on offense for several game stretches. Combine his irregular approach to offense with his league worst team defense and he was a nightmare for coaches. Not opposing coaches, his own coaches. I've only lost it with three Suns during the internet era - Longley, Scola and Warrick. Hakim was by far the worst of the three and IMO he was easily the worst player ever to log decent minutes for the Suns. He could run, he could jump and he could wow the crowd occasionally but he didn't help you win games. Quite the contrary.

Steve
OK, Steve, you convinced me.