computer monitor contrast

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How do I confirm whether my monitor, video card or computer is messing up? I use google for internet connection and whenever I connect the background color can be black or white, pictures that are on forums can show as negatives or are so bright with white that it blocks out the picture. Also photo'd texts can't be read do to the heavy white contrast.

I have tried changeing the contrast controls, greyscale etc to no avail.

Could this be the early sighns of the motherboard failing??

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If your monitor has different input types - hdmi, dvi, vga - you could try those if you have the cables. That could diagnose if a particular input is shot, but it could still be the actual monitor display.

You could try doing a screen capture and emailing it to yourself and viewing it on a different device, such a your phone or tablet. If the image looks good, it's probably the monitor. If the image is bad, it's probably the video card.

I doubt it would be the motherboard itself. You'd probably be noticing other issues besides just a display problem.

OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I did the email and it came out fine. So your saying its the monitor

I only have one input and that's vga.

OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It does have a digital connection..but yes its old.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What part of the Valley are you in? (or are you even?) I believe I have several monitors that are working and I'd be happy to give you one if you'd like.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have the High Contrast setting turned on for vision impaired people?

---->Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Make the computer easier to see

OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No I don't. Got another monitor and it doing the same thing. I'm using an hdmi connection. This is making me think that its the video part of the motherboard.

When I first hooked this monitor up the background color for the google start page was white, as it should be. After going in and out of google the background color is now black.