Computer Modifications.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay - I have a freaking dinosaur - 300 mhz Gateway 2000 w/64 mb RAM.

I have never attempted to do anything with computers - I hated them.

Went to Frys Electronics. (saw Frank Johnson there btw - told him that I liked the job he did to groom D'Antoni for this head coaching gig in the NBA ;). He said "Uh, thanks, I think" ROR!)

Last night, I put in a new sound card - $13
A new CD - R/RW Burner Drive - $59
128 MB more RAM - $42

I installed everything and things weren't working - CD Burner drive wasn't found.

I took out the drive again and placed a jumper to make it a Slave Drive rather than a Master Drive.

It worked like a champ after that.

I also got a new Vid Card - but it is an AGP card and I need to get a PCI card. The Vid Card I have on my 'puter now is attached to the mother board and is only 8 mb. The new one I got is 64 mb and was like $40. Have to exchange it for the PCI.

Once I do that - my machine will be so much better than it was before. All for less than $170. I don't want to buy a whole new system yet - maybe next year & I will convert this one into a network system for my kids.

Alright, now I am a computer guru - if anyone needs to know where to install a 5.25 floppy drive, I can do it!

MAN I RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay
got the CD Burner. It is R / RW.

I see that there are CDs that are "R" and others that are "RW".

We want to burn our digital photos onto the CDs.

Does anyone know the Advantages / Disadvantegs of each kind of format - "R" vs. "RW"?

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkf296
Okay - I have a freaking dinosaur - 300 mhz Gateway 2000 w/64 mb RAM.

:biglaugh:

The almost as bad as having a small penis!

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Okay
got the CD Burner. It is R / RW.

I see that there are CDs that are "R" and others that are "RW".

We want to burn our digital photos onto the CDs.

Does anyone know the Advantages / Disadvantegs of each kind of format - "R" vs. "RW"?

n00b!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
RW can be erased and re-written.

R can only be written to once. To clarify, you can add more untill the CD is full but once something is written it cannot be erased from the disk.

They hold about the same amout of data.

CD-R usually write faster depending on the drive.

Your mileage may vary. ;)

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the wedgie, Ken.

:D

So if I want them permanently on a disk, then "R" seems to be the way to go.

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Sorry...my instructor was looking over my shoulder when I started to view this thread...if I didn't make fun of you, I would have been looked down upon in my class...

When it comes to CD's the "R" means you can only write information, or files, to the disk once, "RW" means you can write and rewrite to it like an old 3.5" floppy.

As for your compatablity issues with your system, you must realize that you are trying to upgrade a Gateway. Systems built by individual companies (like Gateway, Dell, or Compaq) are called "propriatary" meaning that you have to use their products/services to properly upgrade them. That may lay at the heart of your issues.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
Sorry...my instructor was looking over my shoulder when I started to view this thread...if I didn't make fun of you, I would have been looked down upon in my class...

When it comes to CD's the "R" means you can only write information, or files, to the disk once, "RW" means you can write and rewrite to it like an old 3.5" floppy.

As for your compatablity issues with your system, you must realize that you are trying to upgrade a Gateway. Systems built by individual companies (like Gateway, Dell, or Compaq) are called "propriatary" meaning that you have to use their products/services to properly upgrade them. That may lay at the heart of your issues.

I got all of the components to work. Like I said. I RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ror!

Proprietary - that's funny I had Hyundai Memory - P100, another Korean Hard Drive and a litany of other cheap old company's stuff in the computer box (CPU?) freaking n00b

My orginal Sound, modem, and other stuff were attached directly to the mother board. I just ripped them out. So far so good. Brute strengths seems to be working so far. I may even try to force my AGP video card into the PCI slots too. I think I can do it. I bought some of those magic shears that you can cut pennies with. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
I got all of the components to work. Like I said. I RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ror!

As my kids would say (about 5 years ago)

U DA BOMB!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I may even try to force my AGP video card into the PCI slots too. I think I can do it. I bought some of those magic shears that you can cut pennies with. :thumbup:

Let me know how that works out.

:thumbup:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For like $250 last year, I bought a new motherboard, a 2.0 ghz Athalon XP processor, 512mb ram and a new box.

I took my hard drive, video card, cd drive, monitor, keyboard and mouse from my old one, and put it in the new one, and basically had a new computer for $250.

$170 is nice, but you still have a 300mhz machine :D

All the RAM in the world wont do much when you can only get 300mhz.

Anyways, still, nice job...those CD burners sure have come down in price.

Mike

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort