Comparing the 2017 & 2018 QB Draft Class

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m using the pre-draft ratings published by NFL.com on the QB in both the 2017 and 2018 class. I’m not privy to how they devised their grading system—it could be a round-table of football experts or it could be a 400-lb guy sitting on his bed in his Mother’s basement. I'm just using their scale as an anchor point and not to start a debate on the quality of their grading system. Their rating scale:

Grade Title

9.00-10 Once-in-lifetime player
8.00-9.00 Perennial All-Pro
7.50-7.99 Future All-Pro
7.00-7.49 Pro Bowl to All-Pro Ability
6.50-6.99 Good NFL Starter with Pro Bowl Potential
6.00-6.49 Chance to become good NFL starter
5.70-5.99 Could become early NFL starter
5.30-5.69 Backup or eventual starter
5.15-5.29 Developmental prospect or special teams potential
5.01-5.14 Back end of the roster
5.00 50/50 Chance of making the roster

The NFL.com rating system looks to have predictive value in how a QB later performs at the NFL level. (Somewhere somebody has done the correlation coefficients) There are some ‘outliers’—guys who play above their rating and make the team/scouts/GM look like geniuses—but for the most part guys rated the highest get drafted at the top of the 1st and also have the more productive careers. For every RWilson, you got a dozen other 4th round picks who either washed out or are carrying clipboards along the sidelines.

Once you get past the #1 and #2 rated QB, you are in dangerous territory with your pick and projecting success. Here’s the NFL. Com History of the draft page with just the QB selected:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

You can delve back into the history of each guy by (1) Selecting the highlighted players name—this will take you to the Player Profile Page, (2) Once in the player profile page, look right below the picture and basic info box for ‘Combine’ If you see ‘Combine’ you can read his Combine results as well as the ‘Strengths’ and ‘Weakness’ eval at the time of the Combine and prior to the draft. (Note: Some older QB do not have their Combine evaluations in the database.)

A quick scan of the list down through the draft years illustrates just how difficult it is to make an accurate selection—there are plenty of names on the list who at one time were high on some fan’s wish list who are no longer even on a team. Also, there are plenty of guys who went high who are just not living up to the draft capital that was invested in taking them.

We are in the speculation phase now with every fan and analyst coming up with their take on the player profiles prior to the draft. One key word to watch for is the number of times the words ‘IF’ appears in a player’s evaluation. That word indicates the degree a team in hedging their bet to take the guy . . . “IF you give him a good OL . . . IF the coaches can correct his mechanics . . . IF you can teach him to play under center . . . IF you can work on his accuracy . . . IF he hits the gym and bulks up . . . IF he can mature and grow up . . . IF he works with our All-pro WR, RB, etc.” IF you are going to draft a guy, you want to see as few IFS as possible attached to his evaluation. (IF I weren’t so ugly, I might be considered handsome.)

A key point to remember: This particular draft class is not the end of the supply chain of players coming out of college. Cards do no need to force the issue and make a trade or selection this year. I know we don’t have a QB on the roster—but we can find a vet via FA or trade and not make the leap based on projections and a whole lot of IFS. You make that big move only when the guy you are bartering for is far-and-away highly rated and a ‘can’t miss’—and even that evaluation is a major gamble.

Cards didn’t make a move on a QB for the past several years under SK (with Logan Thomas the exception) SK’s explanation is that the player they took was rated above the QB still on the board + the draft capital it would have taken to move up. I’ve been critical of that tactic but after looking at the draft success with QBs, why take a guy that you evaluate is not going to make your roster? A drafted QB should at the very least be someone who will compete for the backup spot. That notion may be right for even this draft class that has a lot of teams eager to claim a QB. To check if this 2018 class is really QB-rich, I combined the draft ratings for both the 2017 class and the 2018 class. (I am ASSUMING the draft ratings have legitimate value to rank order these QBs)

Combined Ratings for QB for 2017 & 2018 Draft Class

DARNOLD, SAM* 6'3" 220 USC 7.1
Trubisky, M 6'2" 222 North Car Pick 2, Round 1 (2) Bears 6.3
ROSEN, JOSH* 6'4" 226 UCLA 6.1
MAYFIELD, B 6'1" 215 Oklahoma 6.0
JACKSON, LAMAR 6'3" 200 Louisville 6.0
ALLEN, JOSH 6'5" 233 Wyoming 5.9
Watson, D 6'2" 221 Clemson Pick 12, Round 1 (12) Texans 5.9
Mahomes, P 6'2" 225 Texas Tech Pick 10, Round 1 (10) Chiefs 5.8
Kizer, D 6'4" 233 Notre Dame Pick 20, Round 2 (52) Brwns 5.7
Peterman, N 6'2" 226 Pittsburgh Pick 28, Round 5 (171) Bills 5.7
RUDOLPHM 6'5" 235 Oklahoma St. 5.6
FALK, LUKE 6'4" 225 Washington St. 5.6
WHITE, M 6'4" 225 Western Kentucky 5.6
Kaaya, B 6'4" 214 Miami Pick 32, Round 6 (215) Lions 5.5
Webb, Davis 6'5" 229 California Pick 23, Round 3 (87) Giants 5.4
Kelly, Chad 6'2" 224 Mississippi Pick 35, Round 7 (253) Bronc 5.4
Dobbs, J 6'3" 216 Tennessee Pick 29, Round 4 (135) Steel 5.3
LAULETTA, KYLE 6'3" 215 Richmond 5.1
FERGUSON, RILEY 6'4" 210 Memphis 5.1
BENKERT, KURT 6'4" 215 Virginia 5.1
Beathard, C.J. QB 6'2" 219 Iowa Pick 40, Round 3 (104) 49ers 5.0

Some Quick Takes on the Combined Ratings.

Darnold has the edge over the #1 rated QB Trub from last year. Do the Cards see him as that “Pro Bowl to All Pro ability” with his 7.1 rating compared to Trub “Chance to become good NFL starter” with his 6.3 rating so much so to trade multiple draft picks to move all the way to the #1 spot?

Cards did not trade up for Trubinsky in 2017 who had a higher rating than every other QB in this class except for Darnold—that includes a lot of the QB that the fan base is looking for us to trade up for in this 2018 draft.

Cards sat pat at their spot while both KC (Mahomes) and Texas (Watson) traded and leapfrogged in front and took a QB. Cards were not willing to jump up for either Mahomes and Watson. Are the Cards now willing to jump up for Allen who has the same rating as Watson when they failed to move UP A SINGLE SLOT on Watson? That one spot up move would have been cheap in comparison to moving up to the top of this draft.

The highest-rated QB in this class is Darnold (who tops the Trub rating for last year). Moving from #15 to #1 for Darnold (or a lower rated QB) will be a major cost if the Browns are looking to hoard future draft picks with our team name on them. Browns will hold us up like Jesse James at the nearest rural bank in Missouri. Is Darnold worth the draft value—don’t you want at the very least 7.5+ player that high and that costly? I do.

Cards can fill their QB need with one (or even two) of the vets coming on the market in FA. You can find a comparable vet QB to match the talent-level of the QBs in this draft class. The advantage is that there is no IFS attached to the performance of a NFL-proven player—the young vet has actual NFL performance tape to look at and judge. Another team has completed the training period and the young vet has learned the NFL game and how to read defenses. A whole bunch of errors and INTs and L’s won’t be made in a Cardinal uniform—they were made in the other guy’s uniform. You can also see the progression since they came into the league. With a guy straight out of school . . . you have performance as a college QB and a whole bunch of IFS.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What was kurt warner rating?
But I do remember jamarco russel rating

I think this class is more deep then the previous one

But we had to adress the position, trading up for mahomes

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think this class is more deep then the previous one

But we had to adress the position, trading up for mahomes

I don't recall if KW was even rated prior to his draft---he went undrafted and worked bagging groceries before bouncing around the Arena League and getting cut from the Packers camp.

Point that I was trying to make by combining the two different draft classes is that this 2018 is no better, no worse than the 2017 class---yet we got so many getting in line to trade players/future picks for a guy they could have had last year . . . or maybe next year. All without having to trade the family farm and their first born child to do so.

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I applaud all the work you put into that! FWIW, I would take Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen and prob even Allen over Trubisky every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

We got a read of what Trub can do on a bad team. No so with the college QBs you named.

Bears paid a big draft choice price to move up to take him. Cards need to heed the lesson and not make the same mistake.

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One has to wonder who would’ve taken him if Oakland didn’t. I never understood his ranking. All it took for me was hearing him talk during one postgame interview to know he was entirely too dumb to make it as an nfl q.b.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Nice work Ball...you did some good research on that. Surprised to see Trubisky and Rosen rated the same...would've definitely imagined Rosen being seen as the better prospect out of the two. I still think the top 3 QB's in this draft will be better than the likes of Mccarron or any of the 2nd tier FA QB's, but it seems almost impossible at this point that we move up to take any of the top QB's in this draft.

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nice work Ball...you did some good research on that. Surprised to see Trubisky and Rosen rated the same...would've definitely imagined Rosen being seen as the better prospect out of the two. I still think the top 3 QB's in this draft will be better than the likes of Mccarron or any of the 2nd tier FA QB's, but it seems almost impossible at this point that we move up to take any of the top QB's in this draft.

When I went to look up the QB ratings, I thought that this 2018 class was going to be far-and-away more highly rated over the 2017. Not so. The guys are all bunched together with Darnold the only one standing above both draft classes---and that is with a just above average rating.

I guess all the hoopla over this class is, well, hoopla.

Why make the trade up for an average QB coming out of college when you can sign an experienced average QB with a few years of NFL game action to his credit?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
When I went to look up the QB ratings, I thought that this 2018 class was going to be far-and-away more highly rated over the 2017. Not so. The guys are all bunched together with Darnold the only one standing above both draft classes---and that is with a just above average rating.

Why make the trade up for an average QB coming out of college when you can sign an experienced average QB with a few years of NFL game action to his credit?
Goff and Wentz were both rated 6.5, and they are turning out pretty well. It's all a matter of picking a QB that suits what you're trying to accomplish, and being able to coach them accordingly. Problem with FA QB's is cost...they don't come cheap. Having a rookie QB gives you a lot of financial flexibility to focus on building a more complete team. And if you want a cheap FA QB...you're more often than not going to fail.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

the biggest rush about this class is the numbers. Most draft classes have one or two legit first round picks while this draft has five or six.

Darnolds rating is well above "average"... "all pro" QB's are rare.... and in 40 years of watching the NFL draft the only "sure thing" guy I have ever seen was Peyton Manning,...with Andrew Luck coming in second...... and we see how Luck has gone so far...

These QB's could all be out of the league in three years...or it could rival the 83 class and give us several HoF players.... time will tell.

The biggest knock on Darnold by anyone who knows what they are seeing... is that he really should have stayed in college another year to season a bit... pick up a bit more "football Maturity", gain some experience, fight a bit more adversity...
had he done that he would be sitting on the board with around an 8.5 on that scale....

but when football is your business and the experts tell you that you will be the #1 pick, top 5 at worst...well, its the right financial decision to go ahead and leave college.

Sam Darnold would have been a top 5 pick in pretty much every draft in the past thirty years... not many players can that be said about.

even Manning only completed 56% his first season and threw more INT's than TD's.... they all have a learning curve...

but this draft class is solid for QB's... pretty much all of them have a chance to become a "good" nfl starter... but even "good" starter is relative because right now the league does not even have 32 "good" starters.... but apparently there are five in this draft?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Darnolds rating is well above "average"... "all pro" QB's are rare.... and in 40 years of watching the NFL draft the only "sure thing" guy I have ever seen was Peyton Manning,...with Andrew Luck coming in second...... and we see how Luck has gone so far...

I think you picked the wrong Manning, I would say that Peyton had his warts. There were some things that came out from his college days that had me worried about him as a possible QB. It's easy to look back now and say it, but at that time I had my doubts. Eli was the QB that I would have said was the sure thing.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I put little stock in the comparisons because I think each draft class affects their ratings by who's in the draft. They are not suppose to, but I think they rate a few guys higher in a poor draft class because the competition is lacking and it makes an average guy seem better than the other choices. In the end, the draft grade means little but how they actually turnout. I think this is a strong draft class which makes one to be more critical of the ratings. If these ratings did have any worth, drafting a QB would be easy but often they are not

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Darnold is closer to Mahomes. Similar players, similar style. It's just that USC pedigree which doesn't mean much anyway. I don't think Darnold should be highest and above 7.0, but Mahomes should definitely be around 6.5. It just shows you how tough it is to judge these young prospects, let alone rank them.

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I put little stock in the comparisons because I think each draft class affects their ratings by who's in the draft. They are not suppose to, but I think they rate a few guys higher in a poor draft class because the competition is lacking and it makes an average guy seem better than the other choices. In the end, the draft grade means little but how they actually turnout. I think this is a strong draft class which makes one to be more critical of the ratings. If these ratings did have any worth, drafting a QB would be easy but often they are not

If you put "little stock" in the comparisons, how do you go about rating the QBs? How do you look at a QB in this class and compare him to others before him? How do you compare QBs within a single class with one another if you put little stock in the comparisons??

Any rating system requires caution. You can give the same rating scale to different evaluators and get different results---the human factor comes into play. Even the NFL.com rating scale has changed over the years with a 1-100 scale used at one time.

You make the statement "In the end, the draft grade means little but how they actually turnout." Of course that is true. But where do you keep your time travel machine to get those performance results three years down the road and prior to guys even being drafted??

You state "I think this is a strong draft class which makes one to be more critical of the ratings." What are your criteria that lead you to believe that this is a strong draft class and to be critical of the NFL.com ratings? I gave you my criteria for the QBs---I used the rating scale developed by NFL.com. What is your rating method and why is it better than using the NFL.com scale?

No one said drafting a QB is easy. A simple scan down the list of QBs drafted over the years makes that point. If you don't want to use a rating system such as the one developed by NFL.com---would you rather just put all the names in a hat and pull one out when it is your turn to announce your draft pick??

Some ways to make your picks in Fantasy Leagues:

https://www.fandraft.com/blog/best-ways-determine-draft-order

Instead of draft order decisions, we could sub a QB's name for things like the Leaf Blower lottery or the Snail Race.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think you picked the wrong Manning, I would say that Peyton had his warts. There were some things that came out from his college days that had me worried about him as a possible QB. It's easy to look back now and say it, but at that time I had my doubts. Eli was the QB that I would have said was the sure thing.

no way... Peyton was a far better prospect out of college... eli was just a manning...he wasnt even the best QB in his draft and it was evident at the time... granted, he has a ring and rivers dont... the only thing that brought Peytons draft stock down was that so many thought Ryan Leaf was a football god...and some drunken college exploits.... the ********** the Dr didnt come out till later

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
no way... Peyton was a far better prospect out of college... eli was just a manning...he wasnt even the best QB in his draft and it was evident at the time... granted, he has a ring and rivers dont... the only thing that brought Peytons draft stock down was that so many thought Ryan Leaf was a football god...and some drunken college exploits.... the ********** the Dr didnt come out till later

Can't say no way, it's my opinion. There were reports about PM in college long before the t-bagging incident. Many draft gurus thought PM had peaked in college and did not have a high ceiling, he had a weak arm, and is not very athletic. No one thought he had hall of fame skills, but you can't measure a mans heart or will.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If you put "little stock" in the comparisons, how do you go about rating the QBs? How do you look at a QB in this class and compare him to others before him? How do you compare QBs within a single class with one another if you put little stock in the comparisons??

Any rating system requires caution. You can give the same rating scale to different evaluators and get different results---the human factor comes into play. Even the NFL.com rating scale has changed over the years with a 1-100 scale used at one time.

You make the statement "In the end, the draft grade means little but how they actually turnout." Of course that is true. But where do you keep your time travel machine to get those performance results three years down the road and prior to guys even being drafted??

You state "I think this is a strong draft class which makes one to be more critical of the ratings." What are your criteria that lead you to believe that this is a strong draft class and to be critical of the NFL.com ratings? I gave you my criteria for the QBs---I used the rating scale developed by NFL.com. What is your rating method and why is it better than using the NFL.com scale?

No one said drafting a QB is easy. A simple scan down the list of QBs drafted over the years makes that point. If you don't want to use a rating system such as the one developed by NFL.com---would you rather just put all the names in a hat and pull one out when it is your turn to announce your draft pick??

Some ways to make your picks in Fantasy Leagues:

https://www.fandraft.com/blog/best-ways-determine-draft-order

Instead of draft order decisions, we could sub a QB's name for things like the Leaf Blower lottery or the Snail Race.

You compare QBs by how you think they will develop in accord with those who have already played and not by their preliminary assumptions during the draft. Did I rule out comparisons, no. Do I look at past draft judgement as a key, no for obvious reasons regardless of who concocts a magical orb. All that these comparisons get you is judging by what you got wrong which you did not imagine in the draft forecast, judgement by hindsight does not have much value because you cannot control what you did not identify in the first place and still be unable to see in my opinion. I see these as entertaining but not a reliable scale

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You compare QBs by how you think they will develop in accord with those who have already played and not by their preliminary assumptions during the draft. Did I rule out comparisons, no. Do I look at past draft judgement as a key, no for obvious reasons regardless of who concocts a magical orb. All that these comparisons get you is judging by what you got wrong which you did not imagine in the draft forecast, judgement by hindsight does not have much value because you cannot control what you did not identify in the first place and still be unable to see in my opinion. I see these as entertaining but not a reliable scale

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard