Community (NBC)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Tonight's episode was pretty much ENTIRELY nothing but movie parodies. Cheng as Chow Yun-Fat had me rolling.

I personally think Modern Family is hands-down the best comedy of the season, followed closely by this and Parks and Rec, which are neck-and-neck. Parks and Rec tonight wasn't the greatest, but this was a good example of when one character is on screen, it is ALWAYS spectacular (and that would be Ron Swanson, the boss).

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tonight's episode was pretty much ENTIRELY nothing but movie parodies. Cheng as Chow Yun-Fat had me rolling.

I personally think Modern Family is hands-down the best comedy of the season, followed closely by this and Parks and Rec, which are neck-and-neck. Parks and Rec tonight wasn't the greatest, but this was a good example of when one character is on screen, it is ALWAYS spectacular (and that would be Ron Swanson, the boss).
I'm with you on Modern Family.
But after being so unimpressed with the first half dozen episodes of Park and Rec I'm not sure where I feel like jumping back in.
At what point does it grow into being its own show?

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fair enough. like is said, i enjoyed it and thought it was clever in it's send up of the genre but the only thing that really made me laugh out loud was the show-down at the end.

the Goodfellas episode was a good combo of the two and the episode where Troy's G-ma was spanking Britta was off the wall hilarious.

Did you like Arrested Development at all?

I think I'm all about clever comedies instead of just silly sitcom formats...so this stuff is gold to me.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Modern Family is right at the top with this one I agree...it's been good from the start, where Community took about 4-5 episodes to find out who it was.

But the parodies and pop culture references are what make the show gold. I mean, making fun of Glee, parodies of 28 Day Later, Die Hard, Scarface, Terminator 2...it was brilliant.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm with you on Modern Family.
But after being so unimpressed with the first half dozen episodes of Park and Rec I'm not sure where I feel like jumping back in.
At what point does it grow into being its own show?

Season 1 wasn't that great--mostly because they wanted to make Amy Poehler a clone of Michael Scott.

But they went away from that in Season 2. She's still kind of a buffoon, but she's not stupid and her heart is always in the right place. She doesn't do stupid things like Michael in the Office and doesn't ever really cause extremely uncomfortable situations like him.

Season 2 is just really great stuff, especially most of the supporting cast, like Tom, April, Ron (my favorite character on the show) and Andy.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Modern Family is right at the top with this one I agree...it's been good from the start, where Community took about 4-5 episodes to find out who it was.

But the parodies and pop culture references are what make the show gold. I mean, making fun of Glee, parodies of 28 Day Later, Die Hard, Scarface, Terminator 2...it was brilliant.

Yeah, last night's episode was probably one of the best half hours of a sitcom in a long, long time. Even though the show doesn't compare to things like Seinfeld or season 2 of The Office, that episode might go down as one of the best half hours ever.

Modern Family as a whole is better, but I'm not sure there is a single MF episode that was as good as last night's Community.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you like Arrested Development at all?

I think I'm all about clever comedies instead of just silly sitcom formats...so this stuff is gold to me.

I'm not a "silly sitcom" guy Mike. I thought Arrested Development was the greatest sitcom on all time. That show was clever AND hilarious at all times. I think the closest thing to that is Modern Family at this point. It's almost the complete flipside of Arrested, subsituting cynical for sweet, yet still getting away with murder. It's probably why it's been so successful as opposed to Arrested who couldn't get numbers if they were paying people to watch(which again, is a shame, because it was a wickedly smart/funny show).

and trust me, i got all the references in that episode. i just didn't find them laugh out loud funny... except like i said for Chang. That was beyond hilarious.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Season 1 wasn't that great--mostly because they wanted to make Amy Poehler a clone of Michael Scott.

But they went away from that in Season 2. She's still kind of a buffoon, but she's not stupid and her heart is always in the right place. She doesn't do stupid things like Michael in the Office and doesn't ever really cause extremely uncomfortable situations like him.

Season 2 is just really great stuff, especially most of the supporting cast, like Tom, April, Ron (my favorite character on the show) and Andy.

I've tried to watch this show and just can't get into it. The only time I think it's funny is when Ron's on the screen. He's pretty damn hilarious.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

And there's my jumping in point.
Thanks!

Also, the latest episode of Community was friggin' wonderful.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I've been on vacation and finally got around to watching this episode, just fantastic. I think I'm in the minority who believe this show is better than Modern Family. I like both but Community is always funny no matter which character they are focusing on while Modern Family hasn't. Also Community was able to work out some of the annoying habits it could have formed while Modern Family to me hasn't. I can't stand Luke (I think that is the kids name) and the dad still acts too much like a child in many situations where he shouldn't. Both shows are good though, best sitcoms in a while.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I've always wondered about those two hooking up ever since the debate team episode.

Those two by far have the best chemistry of all the girls Jeff was with but the big problem is she is supposed to be 18 on the show. That is a pretty large age gap for a tv show.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Those two by far have the best chemistry of all the girls Jeff was with but the big problem is she is supposed to be 18 on the show. That is a pretty large age gap for a tv show.

Thats my biggest problem with it, annie is smoking tho....saw it coming since the debate team tho there was always that hint of sexual tension

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
It's funny to watch Mad Men and then watch this. She plays such different characters and is really good in both.

I re-watched this episode and it grew on me. Still no where near the best of the season but it had its moments. Absolutly love when Troy tells Abed how the jumping the shark episode of Happy Days was the best episode ever and then when he tells Pierce he will move in Pierce tells him he will get him fitted for his uniform. Laughed for quite a while over that one.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's funny to watch Mad Men and then watch this. She plays such different characters and is really good in both.

I re-watched this episode and it grew on me. Still no where near the best of the season but it had its moments. Absolutly love when Troy tells Abed how the jumping the shark episode of Happy Days was the best episode ever and then when he tells Pierce he will move in Pierce tells him he will get him fitted for his uniform. Laughed for quite a while over that one.

The wife and I lost it with two of Senor Changs moments...

1) Right after Brita tells Jeff she loves him and it's dead silent. "Brita! Brita! Your lipstick looks better."

and

2) Chang: "What's this?"
British guy: "A roll of quarters."
POW!

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The wife and I lost it with two of Senor Changs moments...

1) Right after Brita tells Jeff she loves him and it's dead silent. "Brita! Brita! Your lipstick looks better."

and

2) Chang: "What's this?"
British guy: "A roll of quarters."
POW!

british guy had the funniest scene all night when he was rapping...britas acceptance speech when listing the nominees OF ****** QUEEN comes in second

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Outstanding start to the new season. I know I'm in the minority but I have always found Community to be a better show than Modern Family. Interested to see how much they use Senor Chang this season. I did love his line asking if they had room for a little Chang in the group. Can't wait to see the rest of the season.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outstanding start to the new season. I know I'm in the minority but I have always found Community to be a better show than Modern Family. Interested to see how much they use Senor Chang this season. I did love his line asking if they had room for a little Chang in the group. Can't wait to see the rest of the season.

I liked it just as much, I kind of agree with you :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the more Chang the better. Solid start to the season.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
the more Chang the better. Solid start to the season.

What i didnt like is they totally disregarded last year, the biggest thing was brita saying i love you and the annie kiss and now after one episode they are non issues

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
What i didnt like is they totally disregarded last year, the biggest thing was brita saying i love you and the annie kiss and now after one episode they are non issues

They had to do that. Jeff and Brita really don't have a lot of physical chemistry with each other. To me that is what bogged down the early part of last season when they tried to play up the sexual tension. Also Annie is supposed to be 19 so you can't have her and Jeff together even though they have great chemistry. All considered I thought they handled it well.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
They had to do that. Jeff and Brita really don't have a lot of physical chemistry with each other. To me that is what bogged down the early part of last season when they tried to play up the sexual tension. Also Annie is supposed to be 19 so you can't have her and Jeff together even though they have great chemistry. All considered I thought they handled it well.

I guess my only question is why go there in the first place, annie and troy are the logical couple.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Outstanding episode. I loved how after chloroforming the janitor twice, Annie's first reaction to the question about getting Jeff back was to start wetting the rag. Everyone had some great moments in this one. I still think the writers don't really know what to do with Chang. I don't think you can have a full season of him trying to get into the group but the Pop & Locktoberfest was a great idea.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson