Coming 2 America

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Anyone watched it yet? I haven't had a chance. I'm always scared of it being a dud when anything is revisited or remade after 30 years. Reviews haven't been the greatest on it but after the last couple of years I don't really trust reviews from the access media. Word of mouth reviews have been a lot more accurate.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The first 30 minutes are nostalgic as all hell and they bring back SO many people from the first movie, including minor characters.

After that 30 minutes it is pretty stale. A majority of the movie takes place in Zamunda and they constantly populate it with tired Africa tropes.

There were a few laugh out loud moments, and a few good performances (Wesley Snipes is totally over the top and the best performance is probably Eddie Murphy’s oldest daughter), but that’s about it. I highly suggest NOT paying $30 for it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s ridiculous, terrible and great all at the same time.

pretty much exactly what you expect from the trailers.

Leslie Jones is flat out hilarious in it though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first 30 minutes are nostalgic as all hell and they bring back SO many people from the first movie, including minor characters.

After that 30 minutes it is pretty stale. A majority of the movie takes place in Zamunda and they constantly populate it with tired Africa tropes.

There were a few laugh out loud moments, and a few good performances (Wesley Snipes is totally over the top and the best performance is probably Eddie Murphy’s oldest daughter), but that’s about it. I highly suggest NOT paying $30 for it.

isnt it free on Amazon?

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't as good as the original, but it had some good moments. They telegraphed the plot and ending, but it's not meant to be clever. I still don't like that it turned out he had a son, but it could have been worse. Major weak points IMO, Leslie Jones and Tracy Morgan. It's hard to find 2 more unfunny so-called comedians. They are annoying as hell. Wesley killed it, and I really loved John Amos. Too bad no Eriq LaSalle.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I turned it off after 30 minutes just way over the top and goofy

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what elevated the first one was the newness of the characters. I appreciated seeing them again, but the first time is usually the best.

(the whole 2nd movie would have been worthwhile just to see the barbershop gang again... :D )

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
oh it’s nowhere NEAR the original. That’s a comedy classic.

I remember watching it when it first came out. Loved it and decided to watch it again a few months ago. Was shocked that there were topless girls in the beginning of the movie. I didn't remember that at all. Just like watching Back to the Future and Goonies when I was 10 and never knew there were so many s bombs in it. Crazy how back in the 80s, cuss words weren't big of a deal, but now they are.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't hold a candle to the first one but the nostalgia was on overload. We enjoyed it but didn't go in with high expectations either.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't hold a candle to the first one but the nostalgia was on overload. We enjoyed it but didn't go in with high expectations either.

This sums up our experience as well. John Legend at the end was my favorite part of the movie. That dude can sing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose