C'mon Frank, take charge!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Asked whether he has figured out what his place is with the Suns, Gugliotta deadpanned: "Yeah, over there next to the coach."
Gugliotta said he has discussed his situation with Johnson and is trying to adjust to his diminished role since returning from a stress fracture in his right foot.

"Basically, he just told me he doesn't know what's going to happen and to just be professional," Gugliotta said.

Frank Johnson earned a reputation as a take-charge player -- 4th Quarter Frank.

How long will it take him to take charge as Head Coach?

Googs asks about his situation . . . and Frank "doesn't know what's going to happen".

Therein lies the Suns inconsistency. A Head Coach who doesn't make things happen -- just waits for things to happen.

C'mon, Frank. Take charge!

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/0329sunsnb0329.html

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Um,

I think Johnson knows exactly what's going to happen in this case. Gugliotta is going to remained glued to the bench. He is ineffective on the floor, and Johnson has decided not to use him anymore.

I don't think much of Johnson as a coach, but he's in an impossible situation here. He has guys who can't really play (Gugliotta, Tsakalidis, Jacobsen) whining about playing time. He has a former megastar (Hardaway) who seems to do the right things on the court, but can't stop from saying the wrong things off of it. He has a core of young players who, according to numerous reports, can't take criticism.

What is he supposed to say to Gugliotta? "I'm sorry, you suck, and I can't afford to have you on the floor while we're in a playoff battle"? Gugliotta wants to know when he's going to play, but Johnson has too many personality issues to juggle. So he resorts to the classic stall: I don't know, ask me later.

It's not a great solution, but it's probably the best one he has.

Reaction score
I don't think much of Johnson as a coach, but he's in an impossible situation here. He has guys who can't really play (Gugliotta, Tsakalidis, Jacobsen) whining about playing time. He has a former megastar (Hardaway) who seems to do the right things on the court, but can't stop from saying the wrong things off of it. He has a core of young players who, according to numerous reports, can't take criticism.

Bingo! Couldn't have said it any better myself. I wish some of these guys would take a buyout. They could still live comfortably in retirement and not have to travel all over the place just to not play. The Suns could then get out from under the huge contract mess they are in.

I think Big Jake should get some minutes, though. Certain situations really call for a big man. And what's with little Jake? He boxes out for rebounds but never attempts to actually grab one.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm

He has guys who can't really play (Gugliotta, Tsakalidis, Jacobsen)

Says who? I don't know where you're getting that Jake "can't play". You haven't seen enough of him since his return to merit that kind of assessment--which is where the problem lies in the first place.

Last edited:

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
I actually think Gugliotta is a great player. Its just hard for him to get into the flow of the game off the bench and he's had so many injuries. If he ever got into the flow of the game again, I'd expect great things from him. Maybe A healthy summer can get him back on track. I really don't like Big Jakes Game from what I've seen. i can probably be a really effective player but to be effective he would have to be a first option player in the post. He jus doesn't work well cutting to the basket or finding spots on the floor to score. He's just not that type of player. Unless Big Jake improves his game to the point where he's one of the better centers in the league I really don't see him doing much. That was just reffering to offense but he's no defensive wall and he's not much of a weakside defender either.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What is he supposed to say to Gugliotta? "I'm sorry, you suck, and I can't afford to have you on the floor while we're in a playoff battle"? Gugliotta wants to know when he's going to play, but Johnson has too many personality issues to juggle. So he resorts to the classic stall: I don't know, ask me later.
Considering how many basketball players would love to be in the NBA, I don't believe there is enough emphasis on the role of everybody on a 12-man roster.

I believe it would be a positive approach to remind 6 through 9, or 6 through 10, "We can't play this game with 5 guys. Your role is to play X amount of minutes, and give your position the same hustle and determination, whether starting or coming off the bench.

And to tell 11 and 12, or 10 through 12, your responsibility is to practice your butt off, and be ready to step into the rotation with the same determination, whether due to injury or foul trouble.

I see a 'classic stall' as a sign of weakness in a leader!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And to tell 11 and 12, or 10 through 12, your responsibility is to practice your butt off, and be ready to step into the rotation with the same determination, whether due to injury or foul trouble.

I see no practical difference between this and "I just don't know what's going to happen."

You are really grasping at straws here. There are plenty of valid things to criticize Johnson about. Stick to those.

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
I think BC867 did a good job at explaining what FJ isn't doing right now but it is pretty much the same thing as him saying
"I just don't know what's going to happen." FJ is capable of being a great coach but i guess its going to take him some time.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by seattle_sunsfan
I think Big Jake should get some minutes, though. Certain situations really call for a big man.
I agree with you, sunsfan, but for a different reason.

When we go small at Center, Amare is our biggest player on the floor, and gets leaned on by their Center.

That's alot of pressure to put on a rookie Power Forward!

I know Amare's foot is bothering him, but is that the major reason for his diminished playing time lately. Without him on the court, we are a mediocre team. With him, and our ability to score late and play up to the level of our competition, we could be a good playoff team.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by PhiLLmattiC
It is pretty much the same thing as him saying
"I just don't know what's going to happen." FJ is capable of being a great coach but i guess its going to take him some time.
Thirty years in management have taught me that personality is a large part of leadership.

Someone who says, "Let's wait and see what happens", whether it's business or sports, is going to alabi failure over and over.

It's part of a person's nature to either make things happen . . . or wait for things to happen. They're not going to change!

To hear Frank in that rut is a disappointment. But he's not the first. Our Suns have always played catchup. They play a small lineup -- we play a small lineup. They go big -- we try to go big (with guys who have been sitting on the bench for three games).

Just as in business, mediocre people surround themselves with mediocre peope. Jerry's done it his whole basketball career.

Luckily for the D'backs, Joe Garagiola, Jr., who was weak on experience when named GM, broke the mold, won the power struggle that Buck Showalter pulled on him, named a Manager who was strong enough to do his own thing, and has a World Championship to show for it.

Yes, I'm on my soap box again. But there's a reason why the Suns are always to trying to hang on.

I believe that Frank Johnson (with his "wait and see what happens" attitude) has shown us that he doesn't have the potential to be a great Head Coach!

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
I've always been supportive of Frank and said we just need to give him time but this is starting to get ridiculous. We all complained about Alton Ford not getting time but that was just one player and maybe there was something there that we didn't know about. But his rotations are just silly. I can't believe he is sitting Googs, Jake and Penny when other players are struggling. At least give them some garbage time. This isn't the sign of someone who is learning. I'm just lost as to his motivations. I want to give him time but I do not want next year to be a repeat of this year.

SUNSBG

Reaction score
Wasn't Frank supposed to be players coach? Having players in his doghouse doesn't sound like that. I wonder if he would have benched Stephon in the start of the season when he didn't like the offense if he wasn't the teams star player?

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In Frank's defense . . .

I've been trying to think of a scenario in Frank's defense.

What if Jerry lets him know regularly that he wants to see a "fast" lineup on the floor (that's a polite way of saying "small ball"), just as he has with every other Head Coach in Suns history?

What does Frank do? Give Big Jake the Center job and piss off his boss . . . or keep his mouth shut, do what he's told, and build time in his first Head Coaching opportunity?

It's a very real possibility! It's nothing new! Look at the turnover of inexperienced Head Coaches -- Skiles, Ainge, Westphall. I don't believe any of them was placid enough to play the role of puppet!

Only John MacLeod followed it to a 'T' and lasted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only exception, with a power oriented Suns team, was CottonFitzsimmons bringing in Barkley . . . and that lasted only four years.

Cotton appears to be the only executive on the Suns who knows that POWER beats FINESSE. Remember when his Kings team embarassed the Suns in the first round of the playoffs years ago?

Despite losing his backcourt (Phil Ford and Otis Birdsong), Cotton employed a lineup of 2 Centers and 3 Forwards . . . and eliminated the Suns. One of the best examples of coaching I've ever seen! Innovative, and an understanding of what it takes to win in the post-season.

It's too bad that Cotton is just part of a committee, instead of being allowed to call the shots. He's been our only sane influence in our 35 seasons!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's too bad that Cotton is just part of a committee, instead of being allowed to call the shots. He's been our only sane influence in our 35 seasons!

But how is that possible, when Fitzsimmons didn't play power forward or center himself?

Be consistent, please.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

But how is that possible, when Fitzsimmons didn't play power forward or center himself?

Be consistent, please.
You deserve a lol for that one, elindholm! :lol: I guess when your team operates from a position of weakness, you have to grasp at straws!

What about my trying to explain Frank's lack of taking charge?

Originally posted by BC867
What does Frank do? Give Big Jake the Center job and piss off his boss . . . or keep his mouth shut, do what he's told, and build time in his first Head Coaching opportunity?

Last edited: