Chriss and Knight traded

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by S_Nash, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

That’s just weird

elindholm likes this.
  2. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

He actually used the term "everyone". When you do that on this board, you are going to get called out. Good on you Chap.

3. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I think this is the primary reason we trade Chriss. Holmes does what we wanted from Chriss, but with a consistent motor and better attitude.

Krangthebrain and Poop Head like this.
  4. sdscard4

sdscard4 Registered

Yeah why even think he will be a steal...you are right. My bad thinking he could be a Horny...Steve Jackson...Marc Gasol...Mike Redd....Manu....Millsap..Korver....Ellis....Dragic. Yeah why would I ever think we could get a steal in the 40s

5. JustWinBaby

JustWinBaby Registered

I can see that. I can also see Chriss being very good or on the way out the door very quickly. MDA has always seemed to make guys better. He gives players a chance to succeed. However if he becomes lazy I doubt CP3, Harden or Tucker will put up with his nonsense. If he does buy in I can see him playing small ball center. He could really add another dimension to their team.

I really do not know who will be the winner of this trade.

If MDA gets both Knight and Chriss to be productive while getting Melo to contribute for the team, he will be a magician.

The odds have to be in favor of the Rockets. Morey wins a lot of these trades. He really has done a fantastic job.

6. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Holmes is a wildcard. This isn't some second round flier, his stats, on limited minutes, are legitimately impressive. The stat that stood out the most was a nearly 3-1 assist to turnover ratio, that is really rare from a big.

Defensively though, the highlights are nice, but Chriss had some really impressive highlights too. They're both really iffy on D thus far.

In general, I'm holding my breath. This is a dude that was traded for cash considerations. The stats are nice, the highlights are nice... but there has gotta be a shoe dangling. Like a hot, fun girlfriend... who foams at the mouth and starts punching people when she's had too many drinks.

7. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

There have been good players taken in the 2nd round but the Suns turned down the chance to draft Melton with the 31st pick so he wasn't that high on their radar. He had a good Summer League and that raised his stock some but Mike James had a good Summer League last year and we saw how that turned out.

There's usually one, maybe two, good 2nd round pick's that make a good career for themselves nowadays. Everyone you mentioned was drafted a decade ago, if not longer more. The foreign prospects are quite different also since they were pros that came to the NBA rather than players who didn't play organized basketball for an entire year after they graduated high school. If Melton went overseas or joined the G-League then I'd feel a lot more comfortable about him being a breakout talent but you can't just ignore that he hasn't played in over a year.

8. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

I keep forgetting about Holmes. If nothing else he's Chriss with a better attitude and 2 inches taller. I know their draft positioning was different but putting that all aside, they're both athletic bigs with good hops and are solid athletes. Holmes ability to play Center without giving up size is one of the reasons he could end up being valuable to us. With Chandler here we really need to carry a 3rd Center. It would be ideal if we could bump Chandler from the rotation entirely but since he's old and on his last legs anyway, I doubt he'll play in 50 games even if he does have a regular spot in the rotation. He's just too fragile at this point.

9. 1Sun

1Sun Rookie

I don't know where you get that Holmes is 2 inches taller. Both are listed at 6'10" (and I have seen some sites list Holmes at 6'8" or even 6'7"). I certainly get the better attitude part, though.

10. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain DPOY

That was the book on him his freshman year, but he worked on his shot while he was suspended and he displayed a decent shot during SL.

11. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

That a false equivalency if it is true that Okobo was rated as a possible pick at #16 by us. Yes, he was taken at #31. But if we had taken Okobo at #16, there's nothing that says we wouldn't have taken Melton at #31. We'll probably never know, but using reasoning that he must not be good because we never considered him at #31 might not be accurate.

12. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I'm with you on the last paragraph. The 76ers parted with Holmes for only a million dollars. This has to say something although I'm hoping he fulfills a need.

13. sdscard4

sdscard4 Registered

I was just naming the ones in the 40s...i could fill the page with 2nd round only. I can go current if you like....jokic...clarkson...Covington...the original comment was about upside chriss or melton hands down I think its melton. On hustle alone he kills chriss

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 10:24 AM
  14. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

You're right. That fact that something has happened a few times out of hundreds of chances means that it has probably happened again right now. I don't know what I was thinking.

15. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

If there were a way for Chriss to have re-entered the 2018 draft, after everyone saw what he did his first two years in Phoenix, he would still be taken in the first round, probably in the teens. There's no one in the league that believes Melton to have greater upside than Chriss, except maybe a couple of marks in the Phoenix front office.