Chip Hale is the New Diamondbacks Manager

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...dbacks-expected-to-name-chip-hale-new-manager

The Diamondbacks will announce the hiring of new manager Chip Hale on Monday, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com has confirmed. Hale received a two-year contract. Bob Nightengale of USA Today first reported the news.Hale, 49, has no MLB managerial experience, but he did manage Arizona's Triple-A affiliate for three seasons, so he is familiar with the organization. Most recently Hale had served as Bob Melvin's bench coach with the Athletics (2012-14) and Terry Collins' third base coach with the Mets (2010-11).
Prior to getting into coaching, Hale played seven years in the big leagues as a light-hitting utility player. He played for the Twins (1989-96) and Dodgers (1997). Hale went to the University of Arizona and still makes his home in Tucson.
The D-Backs fired GM Kevin Towers and manager Kirk Gibson last month following the team's disappointing season -- they finished with the worst record in MLB (64-98) despite a franchise record $112 million payroll.
Arizona hired Dave Stewart to be GM a few weeks ago and now Hale takes over as the new manager. Heyman reported Sunday that Hale was among five finalists for the job.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Intersting. Kind of came out of nowhere.

I know a lot of posters here will like this move.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not blown away by this. But considering that we are knee deep in a rebuild I'm ok with it. Hale spent a lot of time with the Reno Aces so his ability to manage and develope young kids is there

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
My wish came true!

Chip Hale was a Championship manager and Minor League manager of the year when he managed the D-backs top farm club in Tucson. He is an alumnus of UofA.

Five years ago, when the D-backs fired Bob Melvin as Manager, they bypassed Chip Hale and chose the inexperienced A.J. Hinch, who lasted a year.

And now, five years later, Chip Hale will return to Arizona and the D-backs as Manager, replacing Kirk Gibson.

Although he made some mistakes as 3B coach, he is a championship Manager.

He has the fire we never saw from Gibson. It is a welcomed change for the D-backs.

Here is what I posted five years ago about Chip.

Better late than never, Chip. Welcome back!

Attachments

• Chip Hale 11:14:09.jpg
    Chip Hale 11:14:09.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 239

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Only issue I have is he went to U of A. I would rather prefer a GCU or ASU alum.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hale is much better suited (than Gibson) for dealing with the constant influx of young players that is small market baseball.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Only issue I have is he went to U of A. I would rather prefer a GCU or ASU alum.
If this were about managing a college team in the Valley, perhaps.

This is about the BIG TIME. :)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey BC, seems like none of remaining managers in the playoffs have fire.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even though I am an UofA grad and glad to see Chip get a shot, I hope he has changed with dealing with people. He was a total douche to many people when he was in Tucson as the manager of the triple A team.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Hey BC, seems like none of remaining managers in the playoffs have fire.
Bochy and Matheny are the two best Managers in the NL. You don't have to be rah-rah to inspire your team and the fans. Just strong in your statements and your actions.

Gibson couldn't be mentioned in the same breath with them.

Just as following Melvin and Hinch, two introverts as is Gibson, we need Chip Hale. How long he lasts depends upon, as Lefty pointed out, if he has rounded out his "fire".

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was not a Melvin fan, but looking back I wonder how much of that had to do with our announcers and their repulsive gushing over every move he made. I'd like to say it had a lot to do with it. The "Mad Scientist with his beakers and vials" rant drove me nuts, and Grace and Sutton would go into with every single freaking move Melvin would make

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I also want to mention that Chip Hale's credentials as a very successful Minor League manager make him the best candidate to take over this D-backs team with so many young players.

If I remember right, when he won the AAA Championship in Tucson, the D-backs were bringing up so many BabyBacks. And, despite a decimated roster, his team won it all. Which is why he was selected Minor League Manager of the Year.

I think that is why he rose to be the top candidate, despite La Russa's personal friendship with Gibson.

It is difficult to forget that one of our young guys had a 3-hit day and Gibson benched him the next day. And not for a lefty-righty switch. His response to the Press was something like it was just something he felt like doing. 'Way to build confidence.

Better days are coming! :thumbup:

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was not a Melvin fan, but looking back I wonder how much of that had to do with our announcers and their repulsive gushing over every move he made. I'd like to say it had a lot to do with it. The "Mad Scientist with his beakers and vials" rant drove me nuts, and Grace and Sutton would go into with every single freaking move Melvin would make

I'd still take that over the crap we have now. I feel so bad for BB, working with Steve must be like trying to make watching paint dry exciting

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I like this hire. Reminds me of other recent HC hires in this market. Guys who have paid their dues, and are overdue, for their shot at the position.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd still take that over the crap we have now. I feel so bad for BB, working with Steve must be like trying to make watching paint dry exciting

Wow, I feel the opposite. Love the current announcers. Steve is not exciting but I think he compliments BB well, lets him rant, asks the right questions and calls the game.

Sutton and Grace drove me nuts. The way they gushed over everything, hyped up awful players "Burke, the leader of the B squad!", whined about stupid freaking annoying signs needing to be at the park, fawned over grade school kids like some pedos, and told the same awful self deprecating stories game after game.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Wow, I feel the opposite. Love the current announcers. Steve is not exciting but I think he compliments BB well, lets him rant, asks the right questions and calls the game.

Sutton and Grace drove me nuts. The way they gushed over everything, hyped up awful players "Burke, the leader of the B squad!", whined about stupid freaking annoying signs needing to be at the park, fawned over grade school kids like some pedos, and told the same awful self deprecating stories game after game.

I miss Brennaman.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Laurel & Hardy was my favorite comedy team of all time. Largely because "Babe" Hardy (Ruth wasn't the only "Babe" of that day) never once slapped Arthur Stanley Jefferson (Stan Laurel). Did you know, BTW, that Stan was originally Charlie Chaplin's understudy in the British Music Hall? I'll bet one of our posters does. :)

My least favorite was Abbott & Costello. In their routine (originated at burlesque shows), Bud Abbott was the abuser (physically and verbally) and Lou Costello was the victim ("I'm a baaaaaad boy.")

Sutton and Grace's routine in the booth (while a baseball game was going on) was classic Abbott & Costello. Sutton was "in charge" while Grace was the "baaaaaad" boy.

It wore thin. Just as it would have with Abbott & Costello if they were on the air just about every night for half a year.

Even though the 3 Stooges incorporated slapping, it was different. They began as Ted Healy's Stooges. They were all stooges, even Moe Howard.

Daron Sutton was more like Bud Abbott than like Moe Howard in that he tried to appear more intelligent than his partner. Of course, anyone would appear more intelligent than the inebriated child-like Mark Grace.

And that is why I couldn't stand watching them. And why I muted the audio and listened to the Guv'nor and his crew on radio. The 5-second TV delay, though, was a pain in the butt.

I also think that Steve is OK. Not exciting, true. But then neither is the greatest baseball announcer of all-time -- Vin Scully. Not that I am putting Steve anywhere near Vinnie's league.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Joe Maddon just opted out of his contract with Tampa... did we hire Hale too soon?

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
More likely Mattingly is going to be fired and follow Andrew Friedman to LA

Ugh, great. I hadn't thought about that.

Maddon is a quality manager, and he's an AZ Cardinals fan (just a bonus :) ) The thought of him managing the Dodgers is a nightmare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard