Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (remake)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Release Date: July 15, 2005

Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures

Director: Tim Burton

Screenwriter: John August

Starring: Johnny Depp, Freddie Highmore, Helena Bonham Carter, David Kelly, Noah Taylor, James Fox, Missi Pyle, Christopher Lee, Jordan Fry, AnnaSophia Robb, Julia Winter, Philip Wiegratz

Plot Summary: Acclaimed director Tim Burton brings his vividly imaginative style to "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," about eccentric chocolatier Willy Wonka, and Charlie, a good-hearted boy from a poor family who lives in the shadow of Wonka's extraordinary factory. Long isolated from his own family, Wonka launches a worldwide contest to select an heir to his candy empire. Five lucky children, including Charlie, draw golden tickets from Wonka chocolate bars and win a guided tour of the legendary candy-making facility that no outsider has seen in 15 years. Dazzled by one amazing sight after another, Charlie is drawn into Wonka's fantastic world in this astonishing and enduring story.

Attachments

• deppwonka.jpg
    deppwonka.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 203

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UGH Johnny Depp as WONKA?

Excuse me while I vomit :barf:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. No. Some classics need to remain untouched. Truly sad.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jw7 said:
Ugh. No. Some classics need to remain untouched. Truly sad.

I agree 100%. For some reason I just can't see how a remake of this particularly movie would work... this movie is just too classic the way it is.

And again, I say, Depp as Wonka? WTF!

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I think that you guys are missing the fact that this is supposed to be a dark, twisted version. Im looking forward to it! :thumbup:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm torn on this one.

I absolutely love the original. Was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Got me interested in sweepstakes and contests, in which I've had some personal success.

However, the original, from what I've heard, went away from the tone and story as it was laid out in the book. Tim Burton claims to be making the original work as the author wrote it, so it will differ from the previous movie.

:shrug:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
I think that you guys are missing the fact that this is supposed to be a dark, twisted version. I'm looking forward to it! :thumbup:

Exactly.

All the talk actually has me interested in reading the book to see how different it really was from the original movie.

:verucasalt:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
I think that you guys are missing the fact that this is supposed to be a dark, twisted version. Im looking forward to it! :thumbup:

LOL NOW I can see why Depp was chosen. Seriously I was like, WTF he's a dark weird actor... why him as Wonka!?

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I loved the original. And I love Johnny. But Johnny as Wonka? I'll probably see it just to see Johnny :devil: , so hopefully they do a good job!

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the original. I love the genesis behind the movie. I don't think there should be a remake.

The role of Wonka is a great one. It is such a strong character, of such unknown quantity. In fact, you don't even see him until 45 minutes into the movie. I remember seeing a thing where Gene Wilder (THE Willy Wonka) wanted to do the trick of losing the cane and doing the roll. He thought that would immediately, if not unconsciously, tip to the viewers that nothing is what it seems with the character. When the role of Wonka was being considered, apparently Michael Keaton was in the mix. Another from Burton's stable, I would rather have seen him in the part. Even if Burton is going to go darker (as perhaps he should), I can see Keaton pulling off the depth and maybe sinister quality more than Depp.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I am wondering how would they make this darker?

I mean, it's about a frickin kid and a candy factory.

Are they going to poison the candy? Outsource it Jakarta? Make the Oompa Loompa's hitmen? :D

Maybe it could like a horror movie... and all the kids who get chosen have to survive the hell of Wonka's shop, and so the last one to surive wins the candy shop!

Sorry I am just being dumb tonight. Although I am curious as to see how they make this darker. I just want Wonka to be a good guy... that's all.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
This is your assignment, Kate: Read the book. :D

lol shoot i missed that part.

now i look like a fool!!

damn you books!!

..... ok i will go read the book.... eventually...

;)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teaser poster.

You must be registered for see images

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, there's edward scissorhands!! :)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Chocolate Factory in IMAX Next Summer
Source: IMAX Corporation
December 16, 2004

IMAX Corporation and Warner Bros. Pictures today announced that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the highly anticipated film reuniting Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, and produced by Brad Grey and Richard D. Zanuck, will be simultaneously released to IMAX and conventional 35mm theatres on July 15th, 2005. The announcement follows on the heels of previous successful Warner Bros. Pictures' IMAX DMR releases, including the record-setting holiday hit "The Polar Express: An IMAX 3D Experience". Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is an adaptation of the best-selling Roald Dahl novel and will be digitally re- mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience with proprietary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) technology. Warner Bros. Pictures will be the exclusive distributor of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to IMAX theatres worldwide.

Director Tim Burton brings his vividly imaginative style to the Roald Dahl classic about eccentric chocolatier Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp) and Charlie (Freddie Highmore), a good-hearted boy from a poor family who lives in the shadow of Wonka's extraordinary factory. Long isolated from his own family, Wonka launches a worldwide contest to select an heir to his candy empire. Five lucky children, including Charlie, draw golden tickets from Wonka chocolate bars and win a guided tour of the legendary candy-making facility that no outsider has seen in 15 years. Dazzled by one amazing sight after another, Charlie is drawn into Wonka's fantastic world. The screenplay is by John August.

"We have worked with IMAX on six projects in the past two years, and the box office performance and response from moviegoers has been consistently outstanding for each release," said Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution at Warner Bros. Pictures. "With this track record of success, we plan to continue releasing films in IMAX's format day-and-date - to capitalize on a new release window and offer audiences a uniquely immersive way to experience our blockbuster pictures. We look forward to working with IMAX on 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' and presenting Tim Burton's next masterpiece in IMAX's format."

"Warner Bros. Pictures was one of the first studios to realize the potential of IMAX DMR and we're thrilled to be working with them once again on such a stellar motion picture," said IMAX Co-Chairmen and Co-CEO's Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. "Millions of moviegoers around the world have enjoyed Warner Bros. Pictures' releases digitally re-mastered into The IMAX Experience, and 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory', much like 'The Polar Express', is exactly the type of family event movie that has proved to be so popular in IMAX's format. We believe this spectacular film will be a terrific summer attraction and a box office draw for the IMAX theatre network."

"'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' is a magical story based on a renowned piece of literature from an imaginative filmmaker; it's an ideal IMAX release that will appeal to the diverse venues within the IMAX theatre network, as well as moviegoers of all ages," added Greg Foster, IMAX's Chairman and President of Filmed Entertainment. "The film will be a key title on our 2005 commercial release slate and we're excited to bring it to IMAX theatres."

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw the trailer that's out and I have to say I'm extremely leery. Weird, strange, disconcerting and maybe flat out WRONG.

I may eventually see it on video but I seriously doubt I'll see it in the theater.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
I saw the trailer that's out and I have to say I'm extremely leery. Weird, strange, disconcerting and maybe flat out WRONG.

I may eventually see it on video but I seriously doubt I'll see it in the theater.

i'll have to see it in the theater - burton and depp - two of my wives favorites. i watched a trailer as well - didn't depp look like a girl?

shawn

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to a remake of the film, but my gut reaction is that I am opposed to a Burton/Depp remake. I love the idea that it's a darker, more disturbing version (the scene in the orginal when they're on the ferry going through the tunnel is one of my favorites: "Faster and faster...;" In fact, has anyone been in the Denver airport? The trams sort of remond me of that--they even have a weird little flute playing as you approach the terminal, just like Wonka used to call the Umpa Loopmas).

Burton's films tend to bug me a little bit. So, I think that's my biggest concern--that the movie will bug me. Keaton would have been a better choice for Wonka, too, IMO.