Change of subject: Madden2003 was overrated

AzWins23

Reaction score
Madden2003 was overrated

What i mean by that is they hyped it up so much over the last 3 years, and it's the same game year in and year out! The Defense has always sucked in that game....I have 3 sacks in 9 weeks.....and 3 Int's.....I know the Cardinals have a bad defense but come on!

Another thing is the INT's I cannot stand the fact that they bat the ball down everytime instead of catching it.....The passing is fake, and the playbook sucks!! If anyone is thinking about buying a football game NCAA football is the best game out there...ever!!! The gameplay is better than madden...the playbook is better...It's just a better overall game!!!

I just hope that Madden 2004 wasn't a bust like in Madden 2003
From what i hear so far they have a owner mode, where you set ticket prices, and concession prices....You can build you own stadium...But all this will be crap if Madden gameplay isn't better

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
yea i ve been playin alot of madden 98(just got big screen and my wife wont let me get a ps2 YET) and it sucks i think one of the funnest games ever is blitz 01 imo :thumbup:

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzWins23
Madden2003 was overrated

What i mean by that is they hyped it up so much over the last 3 years, and it's the same game year in and year out! The Defense has always sucked in that game....I have 3 sacks in 9 weeks.....and 3 Int's.....I know the Cardinals have a bad defense but come on!

Another thing is the INT's I cannot stand the fact that they bat the ball down everytime instead of catching it.....The passing is fake, and the playbook sucks!! If anyone is thinking about buying a football game NCAA football is the best game out there...ever!!! The gameplay is better than madden...the playbook is better...It's just a better overall game!!!

From what i hear so far they have a owner mode, where you set ticket prices, and concession prices....You can build you own stadium...But all this will be crap if Madden gameplay isn't better

Ever since the demise of the "Front Page Sports" series of football games on the PC, I've been suffering! Madden does look good (real good!) but you really have to tweek it to get it to work well.

Through hours of gameplay and testing, I've found that the following settings produce the best, and most realistic, results from games played with 15 minute quarters:

Accelerated Clock: On

Human/Computer Offense:
QB Acc 25/25
Pass Block 30/8
WR Catch 50/50
RB Ability 48/65
Run Block 68/80

Human/Computer Defense:
Awareness 55/51
Knockdowns 50/50
Int 57/57
Break Block 45/45
Tackling 55/55

Human/Computer ST:
FG Length 70/65
FG Acc 60/10
Punt Length 70/70
Punt Acc 60/60
Kickoff Length 61/61

Pass Lead Sensitivity 7

Penalty Settings:
False Start 85
Holding 57
Face Mask 59
Offensive Int 99
Defensive Int 99
KR/PR Catch Int 99
Clipping 75
Int Grounding 99
Roughing Passer 90
Roughing Kicker 90

This are PC settings, I'm not sure how well it translates across to the platform games (PS2, XBox, and Gamecube) since I do not play those.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzWins23
Madden2003 was overrated

What level do you play on? Do you visit any of the messageboards for Madden? There are people who go through extensive lengths to play the game and "tweak" the sliders to make it realistic. They post the settings and you can duplicate it on your box. I play on the second to highest level sometime all-madden and I usually get a sack or two a game but there will be the occasional 5 or 6 sack game (maybe once a year) I had one game where Bryant got 4 sacks. He got 1 sack in the first quarter, then in the last 2 series of the game he got 3 sacks because they were going 5 wide and trying to throw it deep. There is one play in the 4-3 that Thompson rushes up the middle from his OLB position and that one is good for a sack occasionally if the DT and DE do what they are supposed to do.

Another thing you can do is look at the ratings of the OL for the opposing team and switch your defensive plays (flip them) to exploit those players. You can try gameplanning that and swith your DL depthchart around for better matchups...just like in RL.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The defensive backs in Madden get burned way too easy. I got lit up for 350 yards in double coverage most of the game by ___________ (insert anyones name here)

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
The defensive backs in Madden get burned way too easy. I got lit up for 350 yards in double coverage most of the game by ___________ (insert anyones name here)

Really what defense do you play? Do you bump and run or back off or do you mix it up?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone
Really what defense do you play? Do you bump and run or back off or do you mix it up?

I have tried every friggen defense and the QB will let go this miracle pass right as I am about to sack him and hit on an 80 yard TD throw. This happens like 5 times a game. I usually try to play nickle or dime because that stops the passing attack and I get a ton of INT's

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have tried every friggen defense and the QB will let go this miracle pass right as I am about to sack him and hit on an 80 yard TD throw. This happens like 5 times a game. I usually try to play nickle or dime because that stops the passing attack and I get a ton of INT's

What do you play on? I play on XBOX and usually (not on the hardest level) I can do decent. Sometimes I jam the receivers, in long situations I back off.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone
What do you play on? I play on XBOX and usually (not on the hardest level) I can do decent. Sometimes I jam the receivers, in long situations I back off.

I am a dorky techno-geek. I have it on PS2, XBOX and PC. XBOX is the only one that I can actually shut the opponent out. PC and PS2 I get killed every time out.

I get the PC version free every year along with a ton of other EA Sports games because I used to Beta test for them. I stopped doing it a while ago but they still send me mountains of software. Also, I get the game about 2 weeks before it hits store shelves :D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I won the Super Bowl in season 2 with the Falcs, who faced the Cards in the NFC Championship game. Starting Season 3 now...

The only things I tweaked (I've been playing on All-Pro, but kicked up to All-Madden) was the kick accuracy and a little bit of the escape tackles and blocking a little bit, because it was ridiculous that bad kickers were splitting the uprights at 58 yards.

Getting pressure on the QB is really hard, as is covering the pass. I usually play the LB covering the TE, which leave me to blitz once in a while (when the TE blocks) and also lets me cover and get the occaisonal knockdown or (and this is the best feeling ever) pick. It takes an act of God to sack the QB, and I find that it happens more often when you blitz 4 and just get good coverage.

The real problem I have is stopping the run. I can't count the number of times I've been trying to keep a team from scoring in the fourth quarter and had an "elite" back (Marshall, Bettis, Holmes) break an 84-yard run, breaking three or four tackles in the process. I know that our LBs can't tackle, but this is silly.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I got pissed at that game when a ball passed straight through Lassiter's head then was caught for a touchdown.

When it happened in real time I was suprised. I thought for sure the pass would be intercepted or knocked down. I had the right coverage.
I went to the replay and was shocked. The ball passed stright through his head! Great modeling, the players are not even solid!

It was just funny when the player passed through each other when they were walking to the huddle. Not funny when the ball passes through the defender. :confused:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I get the PC version free every year along with a ton of other EA Sports games because I used to Beta test for them. I stopped doing it a while ago but they still send me mountains of software. Also, I get the game about 2 weeks before it hits store shelves :D

Share the love...help a brotha out :)

Mike

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
You also have to love how EA's last patch for Madden 2003 knocked Arizona's rating down to dead last in the league because of last season. Ironically, despite the Rams bad season they remained the top rated team in the game.

Don't you hate it when there is a fumble and the ball magically 'jumps' into the opponents hand?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I hate it that you can't just throw a player onto a pile to pick up a fumble, scrum-style. You have to run him over to wherever the ball is and wait around while he tries to scoop it up.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is no realism in Madden...when is the last time you lost a player on your roster to a drug related suspension?....or lost an offensive lineman because he beat his wife. Just sucks I tell you.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
2003 was the best madden so far. Best defense I have seen in a Madden game. you guys seriously need to use some sliders. You would not believe how much more the realistic the game becomes. Anyway just got a new roster file with this years draft class on it. Now I gotta see how it works out..:thumbup:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There is no realism in Madden...when is the last time you lost a player on your roster to a drug related suspension?....or lost an offensive lineman because he beat his wife. Just sucks I tell you.

Actually, my buddy and I wrote a 12-page letter to EA about this around June of last year. We postulated a "screwball" rating, similar to what they have to suggest "injury possiblity." We talked about the difference between Terrell Owens and DB. They have similar skills, similar size, similar speed. Both are game-breakers. But (and this was at the time) T.O. argues with his coach, ******* about the franchise, dances on the opposition's logo, so, if you were, say, drafting a fantasy team in Madden, you'd be better off drafting DB. Same with someone like Terry Glenn. You get a message like, "T. Glenn will not run on the StairMaster", and you can elect to bench him or not. Or "D. Russell was arrested for raping three drugged women, and S.l Janikowski sold him the drugs... Would you like to suspend?" We thought it was a capital idea.

We actually got a response, which I thought was really cool. It wasn't boilerplate stuff, either. Me and the guy at EA/Tiburon Games that replied went back and forth for a couple weeks. It was pretty neat.

In the end, we figured that the NFLPA (who also authorizes the games) would never allow such a thing.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
I normally don't give unsolicited advice, but....
I recommend having sex some time before your mid forties.

Thanks, but I get plenty. We did it over like a month and a half while we were at work. It was fun, forwarding drafts back and forth. I'd post it up here, but it's too long, and I think I deleted it.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Is there any game that does?

Young Gun

rebel without a cause
Reaction score

Ryan, the exact same thing happens to me when I play Atlanta. The QB there is a southpaw, just when one of my guys is about to pounce on him, off he takes like a scared jackrabbit down the left side for a big 35 yard gain at least. The defense is made out to be a complete laughing stock on Madden'03.:rolleyes:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Young Gun
Ryan, the exact same thing happens to me when I play Atlanta. The QB there is a southpaw, just when one of my guys is about to pounce on him, off he takes like a scared jackrabbit down the left side for a big 35 yard gain at least. The defense is made out to be a complete laughing stock on Madden'03.:rolleyes:

I knew it wasn't me alone! I read about this same thing on the Madden messageboard. It really ticks me off.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard