Center wish list

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
Here’s what I want,

An Oliver Miller clone who doesn’t like donuts

Seriously has this team ever had a good center?

Off subject a bit but does anyone remember Mark West? Literally he would be called for a foul walking onto the court.

That's when I became a Suns fan (KJ-Hornacek-Perry-Chambers-West). Poor dude would have 5 fouls by tip off.

The fact that he averaged like 8/6 or whatever was a miracle. If you adjusted his stats for his fouls, he might rate as the greatest C of all time.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I see this thread in the New Post list, I immediately think of the Cardinals and their center situation. Oh well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't he say though that he would only play for Sacramento or was I brain farting that?
Yes. And it was the year that play was halted so there was less tape on him, no conference tournaments or March Madness where college players get to show their skills in a more competitive environment. Also they refused to meet with any team other than the Kings, they refused to work out for any other team and denied all requests for medical information. The Spurs and other teams passed on him too for those very reasons. Some will say none of that is a justifiable reason to pass on him. Some of us disagree.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Didn't he say though that he would only play for Sacramento or was I brain farting that?
Yes. That was the word on the street. Also he had some injury questions, which is why way more teams than the Suns passed on him. Everyone here acts like we had the third pick in the draft and passed on hime and then the fourth pick took him and he's lead that team to championships. Every game we play his teams, I dread it because have the threads are about how we passed on him. Well, about a third of the NBA did, too! It wasn't like he was a slam dunk pick.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yes. That was the word on the street. Also he had some injury questions, which is why way more teams than the Suns passed on him. Everyone here acts like we had the third pick in the draft and passed on hime and then the fourth pick took him and he's lead that team to championships. Every game we play his teams, I dread it because have the threads are about how we passed on him. Well, about a third of the NBA did, too! It wasn't like he was a slam dunk pick.
Well, from a potential perspective, he kind of was... and that's been borne out since. I get that teams shy away from certain draft picks for "intangibles" sometimes. But the Suns passed on him mostly because Monty didn't want him over Payne, and more generally, neither Jones nor Monty cared all that much about bringing in and developing younger players.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes. And it was the year that play was halted so there was less tape on him, no conference tournaments or March Madness where college players get to show their skills in a more competitive environment. Also they refused to meet with any team other than the Kings, they refused to work out for any other team and denied all requests for medical information. The Spurs and other teams passed on him too for those very reasons. Some will say none of that is a justifiable reason to pass on him. Some of us disagree.
Yup. I’m one of those disagreeing with you. This wasn’t a flash in the pan guy. He was a proven two way collegiate star at a position we had been starving for youth for years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To some of us it was. We aren’t always right. But we were that time.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Because of how he played against the Suns & his $8m expiring contract - Mason Plumlee would be the guy for me. He is big, and strong and has a mean streak. I haven't watched many games with him over the past years - but he looked like Shaq at times against Ayton and Bizmack, IMO.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Because of how he played against the Suns & his $8m expiring contract - Mason Plumlee would be the guy for me. He is big, and strong and has a mean streak. I haven't watched many games with him over the past years - but he looked like Shaq at times against Ayton and Bizmack, IMO.
That's the trap! Every center looks good against the Suns. You have to raise the bar! :lol:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the Suns are trading Ayton for another center, they are very limited in what they can afford. Naz Reid and Mason Plumlee will probably be too expensive.

Assuming the Suns keep Jock Landale and Bismack Biyombo other centers on reasonable contracts might include Thomas Bryant (25), Jaxson Hayes (22), Omer Yurtseven (24) and Drew Eubank (26).

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Thomas Bryant strikes me as the offense version of Bizzy? Is that kinda right?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Blocks per game, I like Landale and especially Bizzy way better.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I said something similar a few days ago. I don't know if that's the new normal for Mason or not but the guy we saw looked like a first ballot Hall of Famer and he made our guys look like junior high rejects.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Why not take Landale to a Hollywood strength/muscle coach (similar to the one that took Henry Cavill from regular guy to Superman) - put on 30 lbs of muscle over the next 6 months , and Presto-Chango, We have our own budget Mason Plumlee!

I'm only half joking. We have to home someone strong that Jokic can't just back down at will for 2-3 feet every shoulder drop. He's gonna score, but shooting percentage drops the further you are away from the basket ;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Why not take Landale to a Hollywood strength/muscle coach (similar to the one that took Henry Cavill from regular guy to Superman) - put on 30 lbs of muscle over the next 6 months , and Presto-Chango, We have our own budget Mason Plumlee!

I'm only half joking. We have to home someone strong that Jokic can't just back down at will for 2-3 feet every shoulder drop. He's gonna score, but shooting percentage drops the further you are away from the basket ;)
Watched an interview with Jock Landale shot just two days ago. They were asking him about guarding Jokic. While he couldn't stop Jokic, he said stats showed he held him to lest than 50% shooting when he guarded Jokic. He said Jokic shot in the 40% range against him and it was frustrating that people were saying how poorly he was guarding the MVP. Turns out he did the better job of anyone so far, imho.

Sounds like his offseason is going to be VERY busy. He travels, and has a wedding coming up after next season I believe. He as going to play golf yesterday with Damian Lee and Cam Johnson. So Cam Johnson is hanging out here in Phoenix.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Watched an interview with Jock Landale shot just two days ago. They were asking him about guarding Jokic. While he couldn't stop Jokic, he said stats showed he held him to lest than 50% shooting when he guarded Jokic. He said Jokic shot in the 40% range against him and it was frustrating that people were saying how poorly he was guarding the MVP. Turns out he did the better job of anyone so far, imho.

Sounds like his offseason is going to be VERY busy. He travels, and has a wedding coming up after next season I believe. He as going to play golf yesterday with Damian Lee and Cam Johnson. So Cam Johnson is hanging out here in Phoenix.
If I were that guy I’d do nothing but strength and explosiveness training and three point shooting.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless the Suns are trading Ayton for another center, they are very limited in what they can afford. Naz Reid and Mason Plumlee will probably be too expensive.

Assuming the Suns keep Jock Landale and Bismack Biyombo other centers on reasonable contracts might include Thomas Bryant (25), Jaxson Hayes (22), Omer Yurtseven (24) and Drew Eubank (26).
Yep, which is why I think it is pretty important we get a center back in any deal we do with him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares. He had no ability to actually follow through on that threat.
How so? It's happened before and teams have usually passed the player by when it does. And when the team takes the player anyway, they're regretted it. Just ask Boston about Jon Barry or Dallas about Kiki Vandeweghe or Vancouver about Steve Francis or Charlotte about Kobe.

But that's beside the point anyway. I know this opinion isn't shared here but if you can't check the player out in any way it's extemely foolish to draft him. Bender should have taught us that lesson and this situation was even more extreme since we couldn't even get his medical records.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose