Center wish list

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Never mind who is available, since we don't know that. (Well, okay, we can leave out Jokic, Embiid, and Anthony Davis.) But do consider salary, since the Suns can take back only (approximately) as much as they send out. Looking over NBA rosters, which centers would you want to go after? Let's define center to be "someone who could credibly be the second big with Durant," to avoid tedious arguments about who is or is not a center.

Others have mentioned Clint Capela, and he's intriguing. Undersized and not much of a scorer, but on a good contract, with $43 million owed over the next two season.

I'm also curious about Steven Adams, if Memphis decides they need to reshuffle the deck and are stuck with Morant.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never mind who is available, since we don't know that. (Well, okay, we can leave out Jokic, Embiid, and Anthony Davis.) But do consider salary, since the Suns can take back only (approximately) as much as they send out. Looking over NBA rosters, which centers would you want to go after? Let's define center to be "someone who could credibly be the second big with Durant," to avoid tedious arguments about who is or is not a center.

Others have mentioned Clint Capela, and he's intriguing. Undersized and not much of a scorer, but on a good contract, with $43 million owed over the next two season.

I'm also curious about Steven Adams, if Memphis decides they need to reshuffle the deck and are stuck with Morant.

So Steven Adams really intrigues me. Considering what happened this morning with Ja. I could see them just blowing it up.

He gets paid way more than I thought. 18 million and is a free agent at the end of the year. So idk now

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So Steven Adams really intrigues me. Considering what happened this morning with Ja. I could see them just blowing it up.

He gets paid way more than I thought. 18 million and is a free agent at the end of the year. So idk now
Adams has a $25M/2y extension through 2025.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Seeing as how a lot of teams are going to have problems with the new CBA, what about Valenscunis(sp)?

Good question. He's averaged 30 minutes per game only one season in his career, and I've always wondered about that. Poor stamina? Too much of a defensive liability?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeing as how a lot of teams are going to have problems with the new CBA, what about Valenscunis(sp)?

Why would they trade him though. If anything I see him as part of their core and Zion being moved before Jonas.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good question. He's averaged 30 minutes per game only one season in his career, and I've always wondered about that. Poor stamina? Too much of a defensive liability?

Jokic only plays 33 centers are big dudes. Especially the ones built like that. Legit centers not slim power forwards playing center it’s much harder for them to maintain that pace

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My feeling is that if we can get some other complimentary pieces we can afford to be a center by committee team as long as the center is a borderline starter at least. We don’t need to swing for the fences with that position. Solid, not spectacular, is what I want.

And he killed us and Ayton every time we played them.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My feeling is that if we can get some other complimentary pieces we can afford to be a center by committee team as long as the center is a borderline starter at least. We don’t need to swing for the fences with that position. Solid, not spectacular, is what I want.

And he killed us and Ayton every time we played them.
I think we could keep Landale and Bizzy, and add a better guy as the starter, and that would make the center spot. PF is where we could use a piece or two. Obviously a couple PG to a starter PG and maybe keep Cam Payne? I could also see us letting Payne walk and bringing in a couple new guys. But yes, to keep this on Centers, I think you could run back our two back ups, if you got a dude that could somewhat guard the better centers in the playoffs.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Jokic only plays 33 centers are big dudes.
Big difference between 33 and 28, which is where Valanciunas tends to hover. And Jokic played 38+ in the last five games against Phoenix. There's something else going on, but I don't know what it is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns worked a trade with the Kings, Rachaun Holmes might be a trade option.

I've always like the potential of Davion Mitchell at point guard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better off keeping Jock and Bizzy

The centerpieces of the trade for me, if the Suns trade Ayton, is Davion Mitchell.

The other pieces fill needs and match salaries.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The centerpieces of the trade for me, if the Suns trade Ayton, is Davion Mitchell.

The other pieces fill needs and match salaries.

I don’t think dealing with the Kings is realistic they aren’t going to help us and we aren’t going to help them.

They would have to gut the roster just to get to 30 million. They got a ton of guys making nothing. Mitchell only makes 4 million

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
Lopez if we could make it work financially. That’s a dream scenario for the short term.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think dealing with the Kings is realistic they aren’t going to help us and we aren’t going to help them.

They would have to gut the roster just to get to 30 million. They got a ton of guys making nothing. Mitchell only makes 4 million

Earlier in the season when I looked at it, Barnes, Holmes and Mitchell worked.

I agree, it's unlikely the Suns and Kings do business, although I think they would like to get rid of Holmes.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ayton has issues with motivation and effort so let’s trade for Christian Wood

I swear to God Suns fans. That’s just a less talented version of the guy you have
I’m not advocating trading for Wood, I’d sign him as a FA, maybe MLE deal.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton has issues with motivation and effort so let’s trade for Christian Wood

I swear to God Suns fans. That’s just a less talented version of the guy you have
I don't think he's less talented than DA, quite the opposite. IMO he's more highly skilled though he's not the athlete Ayton is. But Deandre isn't a locker room cancer, that guy has been. Deandre isn't solely concerned with his own stats, that guy has been. If we move on from DA I might take a gamble signing him but only because there's not too many ways to turn this mess into a championship contender.