CB's issue

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This team has a ton of holes and minimal talent under the age of 25. We need the picks.

Edit:
We also need two starting CBs, so blowing our second rounder is a bad idea, since we probably need to reach for another rookie CB there too.
Luckily I’ve been mock drafting CBs in both the 1st and 2nd rounds all offseason. I’m ready! Keim, let me save your offseason dummy!

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This team has a ton of holes and minimal talent under the age of 25. We need the picks.

Edit:
We also need two starting CBs, so blowing our second rounder is a bad idea, since we probably need to reach for another rookie CB there too.

You don't fill a "ton" of holes with two picks but you may fill one glaring one.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Then who the heck WILL they start there? We don't currently have a CB1 or a CB2!
I don’t have a specific name. I’d expect a trade. There also may be a useful cap cut. I think Jackson might be worth the shot if the money isn’t silly. I just think philosophically they will make this happen.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are a variety of opinions about loss of PP.

One thing's for sure - the loss of PP leaves us with a roster-hole big enough to drive a truck through.We've got to restock our supply of CB's who can tackle, cover and manage the position, but I don't know if we have the cap room needed to do the job.

It won't fully solve our problem, but the name that keeps rising to the top of my mind is Richard Sherman. (True, he's on the back-nine of his career and seems to be a bit of a diva, but he has the know-how and enough remaining juice to nail down the #2 CB slot).

Question: Would a 2-corner tandem of Alford and Sherman be an improvement over a twosome of PP and a talented rookie? Or PP and a journeyman? Thoughts?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I'm willing to give the second for JC Jackson. Outside of that I'm hoping Fuller gets cut and then I think Adoree/Sherman/Troy Hill are the best options.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a variety of opinions about loss of PP.

One thing's for sure - the loss of PP leaves us with a roster-hole big enough to drive a truck through.We've got to restock our supply of CB's who can tackle, cover and manage the position, but I don't know if we have the cap room needed to do the job.

It won't fully solve our problem, but the name that keeps rising to the top of my mind is Richard Sherman. (True, he's on the back-nine of his career and seems to be a bit of a diva, but he has the know-how and enough remaining juice to nail down the #2 CB slot).

Question: Would a 2-corner tandem of Alford and Sherman be an improvement over a twosome of PP and a talented rookie? Or PP and a journeyman? Thoughts?
We have to be totally delusional to but ANY eggs in the Alford basket. Sherman makes the most sense since one of the requirements to sign here is you must be 32 years old or older. Just get use to seeing WR catching 10 yard curl ins. If Murphy could play outside( he can’t) Troy Hill would be great. I’d throw a 2nd round pick to the Patriots in a heartbeat for Jackson but the Patriots will match anything we offer. We can’t trade for a guy like Gilmore and inherit another big contract.
No matter what we do this defensive backfield is in big trouble.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We have to be totally delusional to but ANY eggs in the Alford basket. Sherman makes the most sense since one of the requirements to sign here is you must be 32 years old or older. Just get use to seeing WR catching 10 yard curl ins. If Murphy could play outside( he can’t) Troy Hill would be great. I’d throw a 2nd round pick to the Patriots in a heartbeat for Jackson but the Patriots will match anything we offer. We can’t trade for a guy like Gilmore and inherit another big contract.

No matter what we do?

What the FO does... does matter.

"Big" trouble on March 18 is no trouble at all.

September 18 is a whole different story and we'll see.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter what we do?

What the FO does... does matter.

"Big" trouble on March 18 is no trouble at all.

September 18 is a whole different story and we'll see.
Okay. Tell me your best case scenario to solidify this defensive backfield. Sherman? First round pick and relying on a rookie to be your #1 cb assuming the guy you want is sitting there at 16? Alford? Moving Murphy to the outside?
I respect your opinion . I just don’t see the solution.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i appreciate P2, but this wasnt 2017 P2 who left

it was the 83rd ranked CB in the NFL last year. Given 32 teams play 3 CBs: thats the bottom 15%. I just dont get the angst.

these CB slots will get filled, and when the season is over, the average ranking of the replacements will be better than this years average of 83rd and 103.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Okay. Tell me your best case scenario to solidify this defensive backfield. Sherman? First round pick and relying on a rookie to be your #1 cb assuming the guy you want is sitting there at 16? Alford? Moving Murphy to the outside?
I respect your opinion . I just don’t see the solution.

I don't know how they'll precisely address this issue, but prefer not to get down before seeing some response from the FO.

They're on the phone, of that I feel certain.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I haven’t really heard anyone bring up Jonathan Joseph but I think he should be retained. I thought he was an excellent late season addition. Plus he should be cheap.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely see if Adoree Jackson's knee is healed. Great athlete, only 2 picks in 4 years but barely played last year recovering from the knee. He's a cocky guy but 25 year old CB's with this kind of talent rarely become available so at least look

Reaction score

Sherman already signed with the Saints.

OP
OP
juza76

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the options there actually?
The list is getting shorter day by day

Rodhes
Troy Hill
Adore Jackson
Who??

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
Based of the current "All In" strategy I would think CB Richard Sherman would be a good fit. I like Murphy in slot, Alford (if healthy) can be a #2CB . Is Prince still on the team? I like him too, has underachieved in NFL, but fun to watch in college and has shut down capabilities.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave