Cards sign ILB Donald Butler

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This is huge, seriously with our current state at ILB and what it allowed us to do with one guy being a thumper and one being a lightweight... dig this signing a lot :)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is huge, seriously with our current state at ILB and what it allowed us to do with one guy being a thumper and one being a lightweight... dig this signing a lot :)

I agree Jet. ILB was third on my list for potential weak spots on the team so this signing was needed and smacks of a typical SK vet prove it signing as TC is starting. His record with these signings is fantastic.

SK has also addressed the CB position and doesn't appear to be done turning over stones to ensure the position isn't a weakness. That leaves OT as a potential weakness on the team, especially if Veldhere misses any playing time.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree Jet. ILB was third on my list for potential weak spots on the team so this signing was needed and smacks of a typical SK vet prove it signing as TC is starting. His record with these signings is fantastic.

SK has also addressed the CB position and doesn't appear to be done turning over stones to ensure the position isn't a weakness. That leaves OT as a potential weakness on the team, especially if Veldhere misses any playing time.

And Long is gone or almost!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good signing for depth no clue what the guy has in the tank though

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The only explaining the man needs to do is out on the field. I would be VERY surprised if the Cardinals signed him for more than a 1 year, prove it deal.

Maybe Donald Butler, if he can show the talent he flashes two years ago, can be the good karma for the lousy additions Ted Ginn, Jr. and Sean Weatherspoon were? That would be sweet!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Interesting. The Cheat Sheet says the Cards only had $651,520 in cap space before this signing. And they use this to justify cutting Frostee Rucker, who is at an overloaded position with cheaper options. And his contract would leave no dead money behind if he was cut.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-rumors-players-cut-training-camp.html/?a=viewall

Frostee Rucker only counts $1.3M versus the cap and there would be no dead money if they released him. If he is having a good training camp (assuming he can come off the PUP list from his ankle injury), there will be no reason to cut him.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
My Chargers friend says:
He was good like 4 years ago. He was actually one of my favorite defenders back then and was a force in both the run game and in coverage
Now he is absolute garbage.
There's a reason we drafted 2 guys in the 2nd round to take his spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Team leader and athletic tackling machine that after signing a big contract a couple of years ago, came in out of shape and less interested. This caused the inevitable series of injuries limiting his production to the point of being released by the Chargers. Will be 28 this Autumn, so young enough to prove he is worth another future big contract, if he can show the league his last two years were a mistake.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It's a good signing for depth no clue what the guy has in the tank though
He's 27, so I would hope he has some gas left in the tank.

He wasn't very good last season, which is why he's 50/50 to make the roster.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a huge fan of Donald Butler coming out of college. Had in my mocks for the Cardinals back then.

He is a solid signing as he most likely came cheap. A couple of years ago he mailed it in after signing a big contract. If he can return to form he will be a valuable addition to the team.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If he indeed wants to play, he could help tremendously down the line this season in defending guys like Wilson & Cam.

I think being on a legit winning team will help his attitude or he'll be shown the door. He's worth the gamble for this team given Minters limitations.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The "Thief" article was a little alarming, If we still had Whiz as a coach I would call it waste, no matter what the price......

I have a feeling that BA can get the lights turned back on though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn