Cards sign former Lions’ LB Devon Kennard

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be trading down alot! He's projected in the 20's.

I think there's gonna be a stud just sitting at 8 having them make a no brainer pick or getting a good haul of picks back. Then there's lots of options.
I be seen him going as high as 13.

Reaction score
I had a feeling he would come here because Papa Derek played here
Nice call. I was thinking the same thing when I saw yesterday that the Lions released him. I would guess he will be happy to be coming home!

I get that Kennard is a great homeboy storyline, his dad and him being a locker room leader. I even like him as a versatile LB who can blitz and cover. But let's not go too far. Idk if he is the right fit opposite CJ. We don't really run a disguise scheme a la Belichick/Patricia where ILB, OLB and DE are almost interchangable. Kennard had two 7 sack seasons and really nothing before. Most of his sacks came as a designated blitzer rather than beating the OT one vs one. He isn't very stout anchoring the edge against the run. I could see him being moved next to Hicks on some downs. And as already mentioned, I highly doubt he can apply consistent pressure opposite CJ, even when going against average RTs.

Good chess piece if VJ knows to use him, but I doubt he the 2nd edge threat we need.
I see the Cardinals rotating Reddick and Kennard at OLB. Should be a benefit to both of them. . .

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice call. I was thinking the same thing when I saw yesterday that the Lions released him. I would guess he will be happy to be coming home!

I see the Cardinals rotating Reddick and Kennard at OLB. Should be a benefit to both of them. . .
I can see them drafting onr between Alton Robinson or darrel Taylor in round 4 and trading Reddick in the third day of the draft

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Josh Bynes too old, slow, or expensive for the other ILB spot

No. He had a great season in a similar defense with the Ravens. I'm really surprised they haven't re-signed him.

Biggest mistake of last offseason was cutting Bynes and his paltry $1.8m cap hit.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I know his eldest brother from Desert Vista. Son of former Cardinals/Cowboys/Saints lineman.

Great family.
Really?!

That is pretty cool, I remember his dad playing.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Really?!

That is pretty cool, I remember his dad playing.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

His older brother was a DL at DVHS. He played at Kansas and had a cup of coffee in the NFL. He now has a personal training business.

What I said before FA started was that I thought the defense needed 4 solid players added to make the defense good. The Cardinals have added two. I think Philip's will be the Cardinals best defensive lineman and Kennard will be a solid OLB opposite Jones. Now they needed to add a solid ILB.

One move that could the Cardinals could make that would drive this board nuts but could be a great move down the road? Trade down and take Chaisson. They could play Kennard at ILB and have Chaisson be the speed rusher opposite Jones. He wont be a top pass rusher right away but he has the potential to be a big time sack guy 2-3 years from now, right as Jones should be declining.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His older brother was a DL at DVHS. He played at Kansas and had a cup of coffee in the NFL. He now has a personal training business.

What I said before FA started was that I thought the defense needed 4 solid players added to make the defense good. The Cardinals have added two. I think Philip's will be the Cardinals best defensive lineman and Kennard will be a solid OLB opposite Jones. Now they needed to add a solid ILB.

One move that could the Cardinals could make that would drive this board nuts but could be a great move down the road? Trade down and take Chaisson. They could play Kennard at ILB and have Chaisson be the speed rusher opposite Jones. He wont be a top pass rusher right away but he has the potential to be a big time sack guy 2-3 years from now, right as Jones should be declining.

Right, he is very athletic and can make some Dwight freeney spin move

Or they can try to draft some raw players in round 4
Alton Robinson and Darren Taylor
Taylor has high potential and has speed and bend
Or trading in the 20/25 and adding a second round pick and drafting Thomas OT Georgia and yatur Matos gross , a kind of Chandler Jones clone

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Right, he is very athletic and can make some Dwight freeney spin move

Or they can try to draft some raw players in round 4
Alton Robinson and Darren Taylor
Taylor has high potential and has speed and bend
Or trading in the 20/25 and adding a second round pick and signing Thomas OT Georgia and yatur Matos, a kind of Chandler Jones clone

With the additional they've made so far, they arent locked into a specific need like other teams are.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I do see reasons to worry about Kennard opposite Chandler but am choosing to look at the positive these days.

This is a stand up dude..... loved by his peers, who works tirelessly in the community. And now he's home.

I hope he hits those sack numbers in the NFC West and that he can show up in the big games when we need him most.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Oh he was the Captain if the Lions defense!

Haven't the Lions released/traded a defensive captain 2 years in a row? That safety went to Seahawks last year, right? It's a sly plan, when you get rid of your elected leadership, year after year!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I do see reasons to worry about Kennard opposite Chandler but am choosing to look at the positive these days.

This is a stand up dude..... loved by his peers, who works tirelessly in the community. And now he's home.

I hope he hits those sack numbers in the NFC West and that he can show up in the big games when we need him most.

Well, we know he can sack mobile QB's, so he may do well against Wilson, at least.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. He had a great season in a similar defense with the Ravens. I'm really surprised they haven't re-signed him.

Biggest mistake of last offseason was cutting Bynes and his paltry $1.8m cap hit.
Bynes played well but came out on third downs.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

While we all hope for the moves where a position that is well below average gets turned into a well above average player ( i.e Nuk Hopkins)

there is improvement where well below average gets improved by adding an average player. That's what the Kennard move is

with the added benefit of him being a stand up lockerroom guy, etc

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Watched a couple of games with Kennard.

Solid OLB but not spectacular. He is good against the run and sets the edge well.

He doesn't seem very athletic and haven't seen anything special in the pass rush skill set (outside).

He gets very good pressure on 3rd downs from inside/over the guards.

I am going to watch some Phillips next.

So far Campbell and Kennard seem like solid starters...nothing special but big upgrades over what we did have.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Just heard on the Underground pod that Kennard was the best man in Lisa Matthew's wedding. And that they went to HS together.

Interesting how many ties to Phoenix are on this squad.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Who's Lisa Matthews?

You've just opened the floodgates...

Graduated from Desert Vista HS...... Then a Devils Cheerleader...... Now works for the Cards.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard