OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver trade? Fire Monti. Moving BACK in the 1st and BACK later in the draft only for next year's picks? Yeah, that would be fire-ably stupid for this team. Nothing like always pushing it to the future and never actually building the team!
Most of the pundits don't see that we got more for our trade last year, and this year they are going to be going up for a QB. That places an even higher premium on the capital return. If they don't start at last year's trade and sweeten it, Monti should say thanks but not thanks.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Which is why we should absolutely stay at the top of the draft and, ya know, draft one of them. The universe can **** with getting a haul and drafting anywhere we can't get MHJ or Odunze.
We had what, 2 deep playoff runs with Fitzgerald in 17 years? How many playoff wins did we have with elite talent DeAndre Hopkins? An elite player is awesome, a bunch of excellent players make a team. I’m all for trading down if we feel we can get 2-3 great players, and for the record I’d still love standing pat and taking MHJ or Odunze.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
To be fair, the Denver trade we also get a next year's 2nd back.
Who gives a flying rat's behind? Punting on this year's draft would be beyond dumb. Seeing only the sparkle of the future while again not going for top talent would scream "smartest guy in the room" syndrome.
Most of the pundits don't see that we got more for our trade last year, and this year they are going to be going up for a QB. That places an even higher premium on the capital return. If they don't start at last year's trade and sweeten it, Monti should say thanks but not thanks.
He should say thanks but no thanks, full stop.

Reactions: PJ1
OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who gives a flying rat's behind? Punting on this year's draft would be beyond dumb. Seeing only the sparkle of the future while again not going for top talent would scream "smartest guy in the room" syndrome.
Moving back while still getting one of MHJ, Nabers, Odunze isn't punting on this year's draft. Come on.
He should say thanks but no thanks, full stop.
Agree to disagree.

Stout

Reaction score
Moving back while still getting one of MHJ, Nabers, Odunze isn't punting on this year's draft. Come on.

Agree to disagree.
You're assuming they can trade up again and doubly assuming 8 can land one of them. To think those are guarantees is laughable. You take that trade back and the board goes nuclear. Then you pray for a miracle to fix the damage.

Reactions: PJ1
OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're assuming they can trade up again and doubly assuming 8 can land one of them. To think those are guarantees is laughable. You take that trade back and the board goes nuclear. Then you pray for a miracle to fix the damage.
That's kinda the point of a trade back. You can't fully judge it until the draft (or in this case the draft night) is over.

I also don't want the Cards to end the night drafting lower than 7th, not 8th.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver trade? Fire Monti. Moving BACK in the 1st and BACK later in the draft only for next year's picks? Yeah, that would be fire-ably stupid for this team. Nothing like always pushing it to the future and never actually building the team!

Yeah Reuter has Denver moving up to select a QB at pretty much the going rate for a non-QB. Then has the Cardinals moving up to select a WR at a premium.

Makes no sense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's kinda the point of a trade back. You can't fully judge it until the draft (or in this case the draft night) is over.

I also don't want the Cards to end the night drafting lower than 7th, not 8th.
If the trade includes future picks, many people won't even judge it until the pick is locked in, or exercised, or plays.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the trade includes future picks, many people won't even judge it until the pick is locked in, or exercised, or plays.
Most major trades include future picks. It happened last year with us and it will happen again this year. Just not sure if it will with us at the #4 pick.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Do you think Monti will pick/trade back/not trade back, because he is concerned that the board might go nuclear? :?:

Stout

Reaction score
Most major trades include future picks. It happened last year with us and it will happen again this year. Just not sure if it will with us at the #4 pick.
True. Not many trades include moving down several times in the same trade without any single tangible benefit in the current draft. That would just stink.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. Not many trades include moving down several times in the same trade without any single tangible benefit in the current draft. That would just stink.
I think you read it wrong. The 2nd trade involved us moving from 12 back up to 8.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Do you think Monti will pick/trade back/not trade back, because he is concerned that the board might go nuclear? :?:
He damn well better consider it!!!

He pulls that shyte and I'll send him the most inflammatory series of emails his virgin eyes have ever read!!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He damn well better consider it!!!

He pulls that shyte and I'll send him the most inflammatory series of emails his virgin eyes have ever read!!
They said on Cards Underground that fans are calling the front desk at Cardinals HQ to weigh in. Probably a little extreme.

I still think that J.J. McCarthy is a false flag. I think Jayden Daniels might be, also. I think what likely happens is we trade back, miss out on the top 3 WRs, pick up a first in 2025, and take Quinton Mitchell (DB, Toledo), Troy Fautanu (OT, Washington), or Dallas Turner (Edge, Alabama).

DYK that Laiatu Latu (Edge, UCLA) is a rugby guy, and said he'd prefer rugby to gridiron football if the money were the same? I could see that rubbing this group the wrong way.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
They said on Cards Underground that fans are calling the front desk at Cardinals HQ to weigh in. Probably a little extreme.

I still think that J.J. McCarthy is a false flag. I think Jayden Daniels might be, also. I think what likely happens is we trade back, miss out on the top 3 WRs, pick up a first in 2025, and take Quinton Mitchell (DB, Toledo), Troy Fautanu (OT, Washington), or Dallas Turner (Edge, Alabama).

DYK that Laiatu Latu (Edge, UCLA) is a rugby guy, and said he'd prefer rugby to gridiron football if the money were the same? I could see that rubbing this group the wrong way.
Lol, yeah.
I'm sure the receptionist has gotten good at "hold please" as soon she realizes the call is about the draft.

I know I would certainly make career defining decisions based on the emotional input of people with zero actual stake in the result.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Have to take out the swap of day 3 picks.

Denver might be a better trade partner in that they COULD have a worse 2024 record. I just wonder if the AFC West is still that much better than the NFC North with GB, Chicago, and Detroit getting better.

I still prefer 3 ones from Minnesota and moving back to 11 instead of 12 AND moving back up to 7 or 8 for one of the 3 receivers for one of our third round picks.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Have to take out the swap of day 3 picks.

Denver might be a better trade partner in that they COULD have a worse 2024 record. I just wonder if the AFC West is still that much better than the NFC North with GB, Chicago, and Detroit getting better.

I still prefer 3 ones from Minnesota and moving back to 11 instead of 12 AND moving back up to 7 or 8 for one of the 3 receivers for one of our third round picks.

If you are referring to your earlier suggestion:

3) drop to #11 for 11, 23, and next year's first, then trade back up to 6 or 7 for one of the top 3 receivers

Then...

This is not a drop for three ones. It's a net of two over two drafts, and next year's will likely be in the second half of the first round.

Additionally, you have not only taken yourself out of the top 10 but also have to give up further draft capital to hopefully pick WR #2 or #3.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you are referring to your earlier suggestion:

3) drop to #11 for 11, 23, and next year's first, then trade back up to 6 or 7 for one of the top 3 receivers

Then...

This is not a drop for three ones. It's a net of two over two drafts, and next year's will likely be in the second half of the first round.

Additionally, you have not only taken yourself out of the top 10 but also have to give up further draft capital to hopefully pick WR #2 or #3.
It would still be a net gain and of course Monti would have the trade back up for Odunze worked out ahead of time.
I like getting future 1st rd picks. We have 11 picks this draft and I don't think we need that many rookies.

I like the idea of having 3 first round picks this year and 2 next year.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Lol, yeah.
I'm sure the receptionist has gotten good at "hold please" as soon she realizes the call is about the draft.

I know I would certainly make career defining decisions based on the emotional input of people with zero actual stake in the result.
For me if u can get 3 first round picks to move off 4 I do it if not I pick harrisson

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Who ya taking at #11 if the top-10 goes as such:

(in no order)
Caleb Williams
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
JJ McCarthy
Marvin Harrison Jr
Malik Nabers
Rome Odunze