Cards Looking to Get a Road Win

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2277

The Arizona Cardinals practiced in pads Wednesday morning as the team prepares to go on the road this week and square off against the San Francisco 49ers. The Cardinals have struggled in the past in San Fran, losing by a total of 46 points to their divisional opponents in the last two years.

But it is a new season and Cardinals Head Coach Dennis Green wants to create a different road mentality for his young team and break the current 15-game road losing streak.

“We are hopeful we are going to be able to turn the tides on playing on the road,” said Green. “That is something we’ve set out, that is one of our clear-cut goals. We’ve got to be able to play our style of football when you are going on the road into another team’s place and make sure that you have balance in your attack across the board.”

The 49ers are currently sitting at last place in the division with a winless record, but the Cards are still one-point underdogs and Green cautions against being overconfident.

“The big thing we recognize about the 49ers is that they have a very similar schedule as we have,” pointed out Green. “The four teams they’ve played are combined 12-4 and that includes Seattle. The four teams we’ve played are a combined 12-4 also and that included New England. So if we think we are better than a 1-3 team and we think we are, I think they are a much better team than a 0-4 team. I think they are going to lay everything they’ve got on the line for this weekend.”

In the past, the 49ers effectively dominated the Cards with veterans Jeff Garcia, Terrell Owens, and Garrison Hearst. Due to cap problems, the 49ers lost all three this off-season and have also been decimated with injuries to their offensive and defensive fronts.

“We know what they are going through,” commiserated Shelton. “We definitely know what they are going through. We have been through that in the past and we were feeling that last week even, and I am sure they are feeling a little worse at 0-4. They are hungry for a win and we don’t want to be the team they get the win against.”

Clearly, the Cardinals would like to redeem themselves from the one-sided 50-14 loss they suffered last December in San Fran. It was a game quickly decided when the 49ers scored five first-half touchdowns. Things are different these days as the Cardinals defense has only given up four touchdowns so far this season.

“It is going to be a different game for us because the defensive mentality is different,” said defensive tackle Russell Davis. “Our offense is starting to click too, so I think it is going to be a really good game, but you still can’t go up there thinking just because of their record that they are going to lay down for us. They’ve got an upside on us because they have beat us so badly. We’d like to turn things around this time.”

Starting Lineup Change
Green confirmed today that he would start tackle L.J. Shelton and guard Jeremy Bridges this weekend. The pair replaced Anthony Clement and Cameron Spikes in the third offensive series of Sunday’s win over the Saints.

Shelton took reps with the first-team unit today, but said that there are no guarantees that he’ll maintain that position.

“I’m not taking anything for granted,” said Shelton, who was benched earlier in the summer. “I am here and it is always a for-now business. If I’m not productive I won’t be here. I just have to build on last week and get better.”

According to what Green said however, the move sounds permanent.

“I think we played with the same line-up for a long period of time and it didn’t quite click the way we wanted it to and I think we are going to give a couple of new guys (a chance),” said Green. “Initially, we weren’t as convinced that L.J.’s back wasn’t going to bother him because he had a couple of flare-ups. You don’t make a switch unless you are going to make it. It is a tough deal, it is tough on everybody so you want to make sure about it. There are some things I am not very patient with and there are some things I am. Making changes is one of the things I am patient about. I always give guys a chance to get their job and hold their job. I’d rather be late than early when it comes to making switches because if you make them, I make them. If I go down that road it is like I am not going to go back and try to earn the same real estate.”

Whether it was the change in the line-up or as Shelton said, just a matter of sticking with it, the Cardinals run game went from non-existent to terrific. Between running backs Emmitt Smith and Troy Hambrick, they had 37 carries for 206 yards.

As well as an improved game, the Cards also protected quarterback Josh McCown better, cutting down the number of sacks in Atlanta (6) to only giving up two against New Orleans. Still, Shelton said he could have played better and is something he’ll work on this week.

“I was productive,” evaluated Shelton. “You can tell by watching though that I wasn’t very comfortable being on the right side. There are some things footwork-wise I could have done. I gave us a chance to win but I know my expectations of myself are higher than that.”

Wendell Bryant Returns From Suspension

Defensive tackle participated in his first full team practice since serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. The Cardinals had one week to determine whether or not they would activate Bryant, but Green announced that the team had already decided to do so and have released John Nix to make room for Bryant on the active roster.

“It is clear he’s in good physical condition,” observed Bryant. “His weight is in good shape. He’ll be ready to play for us this weekend.”

Bryant will be backing up Rusell Davis and Darnell Dockett, and could see some action on special teams.

“It felt phenomenal to be out there,” said Bryant of his return. It was hard. It took away a part of me. I am three parts, god, family and football. You take football and that is a big part of my life, so it was hard and it is great to be back.”

“I always say it is time to go to work, but it is time to have fun,” continued Bryant. “I think Coach Green has definitely brought the fun back to this organization.”

Injury News
Receiver Anquan Boldin, cornerback Duane Starks, and running back/kickoff returner Josh Scobey are listed as out for this weekend’s game. Defensive tackle Ross Kolodziej is listed as questionable.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm always looking for streaks coming to an end. What scares me about this game at SF is their winless streak on the season, will come to an end before long. At least we are bringing in a streak that also has to end before much longer as well.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
RedViper said:
I'm always looking for streaks coming to an end. What scares me about this game at SF is their winless streak on the season, will come to an end before long. At least we are bringing in a streak that also has to end before much longer as well.
Lets let the 49ers streak end at someone else's expense. This is the niners down year, time to take advantage. RUN RUN RUN

Last edited: