Cards looking for another backup QB?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Got to play it safe in case both can't go. However unlikely that is.

Also if they want to rest Colt on Wednesday that only leaves Strev for practice reps.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If our starting QB is going to continue to play poorly while injured (like last season) or miss games entirely (like this season) we will need a better backup / part time starter.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If our starting QB is going to continue to play poorly while injured (like last season) or miss games entirely (like this season) we will need a better backup / part time starter.
I dont think Kyler played poorly. He just just played average. This team is talented enough to win with him playing average.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think Kyler played poorly. He just just played average. This team is talented enough to win with him playing average.
With a decent backup, we'd have made the playoffs last season. We scored 12 and 7 points in very winnable games vs. the 49ers and the Rams. It was embarrassing.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear Lord, are we still talking about last year??
It's relevant since the discussion is about searching for a backup QB. If Kyler is not going to be durable/reliable, we're going to need a really good backup if we want to stay competetive.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not sure what options are out there if I’m being honest but after a quick google search it looks like Blake Bortles is on the GReen Bay practice squad. If we need someone to start a game or potentially play a lot we could do worse on short notice .

I also think the backup QB has to be a priority going forward. I love Kyler but two years in a row there have been health issues. I wouldn’t be opposed(and I realize I’ll get toasted for saying this) to drafting a mid round QB . If they work out it’s a trade chip down the road if Kyler stays healthy .

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It's stunning that we've invested two years in Chris Streveler and don't have faith in him to do anything.
He’s not good, but McCoy might not be available, so this sounds like more of a
Need for bodies issue

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the plan was always to shut Kyler down until after the bye. The Rams losing last night probably makes that decision easier, since they did not make up any ground against us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might have to find as many “free bets” as possible next week and lay them against us if we got no Kyler and the spread is less than 10 because I think we’re in for a reaming this week if he doesn’t play.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's stunning that we've invested two years in Chris Streveler and don't have faith in him to do anything.
My faith in him is very low, what’s even lower is I don’t know what he actually does

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Some Carolina fans at the game (all former college and a couple with league experience) were asking me who #15 was. I said strevler and they asked “wth is that?” Next play strevler sent a ball sailing well over the receivers head.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The coaches love affair with Strevler is just as weird as the coaching staff under Arians was with Drew Butler. So confusing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't the Cardinals learn all they needed to know about Streveler in the season ending game against the Rams last season and the Panthers game this season.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Davis Webb may be another option. I think he played for Kliff for a year or so in college and may have familiarity with the system if needed to play this week.

Scary how quickly a team can go from where they were a couple weeks ago to potentially not having a quality qb able to play this week .

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
NFL Practice Squad QB's
Baltimore Ravens - Trace McSorley, Penn State
Buffalo Bills - Jake Fromm, Georgia / Davis Webb, California
Cincinnati - Jake Browning, Washington
Cleveland - Nick Mullens, Southern Mississippi
Dallas - Ben DiNucci, James Madison
Denver - Danny Etling, La State
Detroit - Steven Montez, Colorado
Green Bay - Kurt Benkert, VA
Colts - Brett Hundley
Jax - Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
Vegas - Nathan Peterman
Dolphins - Jacob Dolegala, Central Connecticut State
New England - Garrett Gilbert, Southern Methodist
NY Giants - Brian Lewerke, Mich St.
NY Jets - Josh Johnson, San Diego
Pittsburg - James Morgan, FIU
SF - Nate Sudfeld, Indiana
Seattle - Jake Luton, Or State
TB - Ryan Griffin, Tulane
Tennessee - Kevin Hogan, Standford
WFT - Kyle Shurmur, Vanderbilt

One of these guys HAS to be better than Streveler. None are starters by any means but I would take a flyer on Ben DiNucci off the Cowboys. He has starting experience but was thrown into a crappy situation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson