Cards hire Drew Petzing as their OC

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
@Chopper0080 Petzing really loved what he learned in Cleveland.
I think it's possible they are deliberately using less motion this year, due to QB's. You had Dobbs learning a newish system and not having a lot of starting experience...and now Kyler is working on his footwork within the pocket. Maybe they are just keeping some things more simple, so the basics which need improvement can become second nature. It will be interesting to see if the offense evolves any further over the remaining 5 games.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
B-B+...I can clearly see the plan, now ..Just need to see incremental growth in 2024 with a better lineup.

The fact that the Cards can basically run on anyone didn't sink in until the last 3-4 weeks, or so, due to the overall outmatched effort on defense. Going forward, with better defense, this offense is schemed to get a lead and just wear the other team down and run out the clock.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B-B+...I can clearly see the plan, now ..Just need to see incremental growth in 2024 with a better lineup.

The fact that the Cards can basically run on anyone didn't sink in until the last 3-4 weeks, or so, due to the overall outmatched effort on defense. Going forward, with better defense, this offense is schemed to get a lead and just wear the other team down and run out the clock.
Yep, I agree that he is probably in the B- or B range. Their total lack of WR production probably keeps it at B- for me.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Old school football. Football 101. Run the ball.wear down your opponent. Control the clock. Strike when the defense gets sucked in.
Combine that with Gannon's defense.... Pressure with 4 while dropping 7 ... It's a combination that should have us out scoring our opponents once the pieces are in place.
Hardest part is finding the dline talent to get pressure with 4 ...but surprisingly I actually saw it work with the guys we have a few times earlier in the season .

My guess is we finish the offense first. Coaches are arrogant by nature and usually believe their system is superior and can get by with lesser talent. Plus the offense needs fewer pieces. LG, WR, and younger versions of Hump & JC...and the offense is set for a few years.
A couple developmental guys at DB and Dline...then add premium defensive front talent over the next couple drafts...

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

So I guess when you evaluate an OC you look at:

1. Play calling
2. Play design
3. Personnel usage
4. Personnel development

with the understadning that he's the "CEO" of the offense and maybe other coaches deserve some credit too.

Another (tin foil hat) caveat is if DP was in on any kind of tanking scheme and were his decisions influenced by this. With this in mind I'll go:

1. Play calling = B (generally unpredictible, aggressive, and generally geared to available players strengths)
2. Play design = B (very few "oh that was doomed from the start plays", also, our rushing attack is elite)
3. Personnel usage = C+ (hung on to the Ertzs and Ingrams too long but usage did focus on our strength, running)
4. Player development = B+ (considering McBride and the O-line renaissance)

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
So I guess when you evaluate an OC you look at:

1. Play calling
2. Play design
3. Personnel usage
4. Personnel development

with the understadning that he's the "CEO" of the offense and maybe other coaches deserve some credit too.

Another (tin foil hat) caveat is if DP was in on any kind of tanking scheme and were his decisions influenced by this. With this in mind I'll go:

1. Play calling = B (generally unpredictible, aggressive, and generally geared to available players strengths)
2. Play design = B (very few "oh that was doomed from the start plays", also, our rushing attack is elite)
3. Personnel usage = C+ (hung on to the Ertzs and Ingrams too long but usage did focus on our strength, running)
4. Player development = B+ (considering McBride and the O-line renaissance)
Petzig probably has little to do with keeping Ertz and Ingram.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"The Cards brass think so high of Drew Petzing they fully expect him to be a HC elsewhere next year (2025)."
Johnny Venerable

I guess we'll see.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"The Cards brass think so high of Drew Petzing they fully expect him to be a HC elsewhere next year (2025)."
Johnny Venerable

I guess we'll see.
But the rest of the League doesnt think the same
Btw , those are personal goals
The cardinals brass should Just care about improving the roster and not being the ugly duckling of the NfC west
The last two seasons division record
1W- 11 Loss

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask. Where are you at on Petzing? @DVontel

And were you more optimistic or less after Kliff's first year as a play caller?

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
the one think i keep seeing noted by NFL people commenting on the Cards offense is the creativity in the Cardinal run game --

hard for me / us to see and appreciate --
The run game was awesome...they ran on everyone and it didn't matter the formation...shotgun or under center.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The run game was awesome...they ran on everyone and it didn't matter the formation...shotgun or under center.
Right?? Often pulled an entire side...just overloaded the poo out of defenses...off tackles with guards running lead...lots of good stuff.

My biggest concern with petzing is... Baker Mayfield apparently failed in Cleveland

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right?? Often pulled an entire side...just overloaded the poo out of defenses...off tackles with guards running lead...lots of good stuff.

My biggest concern with petzing is... Baker Mayfield apparently failed in Cleveland
Petzing wasnt the QB coach when Mayfield was there. He was the QB with Watson. And they just fired their OC.

The question is Petzing QB pass friendly as well or did he just not have the weapons/QB in rhythm.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score

He was tight ends coach when Baker was there. He was QB coach in 2022 and Baker was in Carolina and LA.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Petzing wasnt the QB coach when Mayfield was there. He was the QB with Watson. And they just fired their OC.

The question is Petzing QB pass friendly as well or did he just not have the weapons/QB in rhythm.
I don't even know if I'd hold Watson against Drew.