Cards Close Draft With Trade for Veteran WR Larry Foster

tigertat

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
I believe Graves stated Thurs on KDUS that they will not be bringing in many UDFAs. It will be way down from what it was the last couple years.

So, who you see is who we got....
Graves should be tarred and feathered

Actually he said that about 10 guys will be brought in instead of the usual 25. That is a good thing becuase that means we already have enough players on the roster and not have to fill them with UDFA.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
I believe Graves stated Thurs on KDUS that they will not be bringing in many UDFAs. It will be way down from what it was the last couple years.

So, who you see is who we got....
Graves should be tarred and feathered

Usually we've had around fifteen, but I can't believe we won't get a minimum of 8-10 UDFA's.

I'm not thrilled with this draft, but I also don't think it's total dog doo. I'd give it a C-.

TJAM

Registered
Reaction score
WR??????????according to his BIO he spent as much or more time on Special Teams - gunner, punt return and kick return.

tigertat

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiac
Good info as always tt.

My concern is that we kept hearing how much faith the Cards had in McAddley and Gilmore and yet so much was done this draft to upgrade this unit. So what is it, are we devoid of talent or just trying to have the Best WR unit ever.

Not an issue if we had a pass rush, or run defense, or CB's.

I dont think its that they dont have faith in McCaddley, Gilmore, or Kasper, but more that they dont have any faith in Parker Solliday and Poole. Plus the coaches like Gilmore but he is very unproven.

Last edited:
OP
OP
az643dp

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
Originally posted by tigertat
I dont think its that they dont have faith in McCaddley, Jackson, or Kasper, but more that they dont have any faith in Parker Solliday and Poole. Plus the coaches like Jackson but he is very unproven, and very small.

Arnold Jackson was not offered a contract this year. We had to keep him because there were no other options at PR.

He is already gone.

OP
OP
az643dp

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
More on Foster

http://www.azcardinals.com/press/pressdetails.php?sid=1188

The Arizona Cardinals traded their seventh round, 220th overall pick to the Detroit Lions in exchange for veteran wide receiver Larry Foster.

Vice President-Football Operations Rod Graves indicated on Saturday that the team would like to add two veteran receivers prior to the start of training camp.

Foster, a three-year player for the Lions fulfills one of those veteran roles.

Foster has played in 36 games (5 starts) and owns 53 career catches for 610 yards and one touchdown. He has also been a contributor on special teams and had 3 kickoff returns for 69 yards (23.0 avg.) and a long of 25 yards two punt returns for 15 yards (7.5 avg.) in 2002.

Originally signed as an undrafted free agent in 2000, Foster began his rookie season on the practice squad before being promoted to the active roster on October 16.

“Foster was there my last year in Detroit and when Germane Crowell got hurt, we brought Larry up and in the first game he blocked a punt against the Giants,” offered offensive coordinator Jerry Sullivan. “I started him in the next game and he had 8 catches for 120 yards.”

Foster’s Detroit teammates selected him as the recipient of the Mel Farr rookie-of-the-year award.

“He is a kid that has been in the league and is a good special teams player as well as a tough kid,” added Sullivan. “He’s built more like a back than a wide receiver but he has great quickness and great acceleration. Larry will compete for the job.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think its that they dont have faith in McCaddley, Jackson, or Kasper, but more that they dont have any faith in Parker Solliday and Poole. Plus the coaches like Jackson but he is very unproven, and very small.

Are you talking about Arnold Jackson? He's gone and won't be resigned.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Cardinals fans draft theme.

Wan't that the song by the Who?

Who are you.....Who are you....Who!!!

Maybe they should play that when the player run on to the field....LOL

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does this mean that M-Robs agent won't be getting a call after the draft?
Graves said he plans to re-open discussions with Marcus on Monday. Although Rod is saying all the right things, it seems to be his MO to set things up so that they won't work out while all along saying positive things about the player involved. Then the deal dies, but Rod's hands appear clean.

So while he implies he wants to sign Marcus, I'm not sure if he really does.

Having additional time now to watch Graves in action during Free Agency #1 and the Draft, I'm not sure what to think.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont think its that they dont have faith in McCaddley, Gilmore, or Kasper, but more that they dont have any faith in Parker Solliday and Poole. Plus the coaches like Gilmore but he is very unproven.

I'm just doing some math here.

McAddley
Gilmore
Kasper
Boldin
Johnson
Foster

okay that's 6

Robinson

I guess Kasper is on the chopping block?

I thought he did well last year so maybe it's Gilmore who is the odd man out. My point is with so many other needs did we really need to force a player with potential off the roster? I'm not really arguing with you but trying to make sense of it all myself.

dmoney

Registered
Reaction score
Guys I cant believe you can't see the writing on the wall. They said that things were gonna change:

The 2003 AZCards will be implementing a new run and gun/option offense with BIG @ Center, Boldin running the option, Scoobey dobedooooo @ Rb in 7 Wide Receiver/ 1 TE formations. Much like the Carr/ Texans clip shown during the draft.

WR's:
Happy Gilmore, Foster Grants, Kasper the Friendly Ghost, MY Johnson, McAss, MacRib & Cesspole

BIG Joneseen

BOLDIN

Scoobey DoBe DOOO!!!!!!

I do think we are set at WR & LB:) Sorry for being so stupid but I am worn out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :trout:

Last edited:

tigertat

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiac
I'm just doing some math here.

McAddley
Gilmore
Kasper
Boldin
Johnson
Foster

okay that's 6

Robinson

I guess Kasper is on the chopping block?

I thought he did well last year so maybe it's Gilmore who is the odd man out. My point is with so many other needs did we really need to force a player with potential off the roster? I'm not really arguing with you but trying to make sense of it all myself.

It doesnt push a guy off of the team just to the practice squad, either Kasper, or Gilmore. Plus Robinson isnt a sure thing by a long shot. You got to have insurance.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
LOL

WR's:
Happy Gilmore, Foster Grants, Kasper the Friendly Ghost, MY Johnson, McAss, MacRib & Cesspole

:biglaugh:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It doesnt push a guy off of the team just to the practice squad, either Kasper, or Gilmore. Plus Robinson isnt a sure thing by a long shot. You got to have insurance.

I don't think Kasper or Gilmore still qualify for the PS. If we want Robinson all we have to do is show him the MONEY.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the logjam - my guess is that M-Rob won't come here - and Rod will say: "Gee. We really wanted to sign him."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard