Cards 2022 Training Camp July 26th

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The author thinks Collins played better than Simmons last year in his limited snaps. I know this is a Collins highlight video, but I saw Collins at least has ILB instinct. His tackling left something to be desired.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The author thinks Collins played better than Simmons last year in his limited snaps. I know this is a Collins highlight video, but I saw Collins at least has ILB instinct. His tackling left something to be desired.
I guess. I believe he said these two or three plays “were okay.”

So glad we invested a top 15 pick on him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you watched the interview with Shawn Jefferson he was specifically asked about Isabella and he said he is playing very well it's just that he has guys in front of him who are very good.

What's he going to say? He sucks?

He said something like "Isabella can play in this league, it's just all the guys in front of him". Well yeah, if you ain't very good your going to have a lot of guys in front of you.

Be surprised if he makes the roster. Dortch looks much better and the teams likes him. Plus he can play ST's where Bella can't. You don;t keep a WR6 who can't play teams.

Nuk, Brown, Green, Moore, Tweezy, Dortch.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If you watched the interview with Shawn Jefferson he was specifically asked about Isabella and he said he is playing very well it's just that he has guys in front of him who are very good.
I was making a joke about camp last season. Remember those posters crowing about how great AI was playing and how he was going to surprise last season? Yeah...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was making a joke about camp last season. Remember those posters crowing about how great AI was playing and how he was going to surprise last season? Yeah...

The thing is, Isabella just doesn't pass the eye test.

I know "the eye test" is a broad term, but there are just some players you watch the instantly stand out as having "it" and some that very obviously don't. It's probably only the top and bottom 5% of the league that falls into eye test territory, everyone else just looks ok.

His catch radius and ball tracking are way too poor to play outside and his agility and route running are too poor to play slot. And he can't play ST's. Only played 24 ST snaps last year. If you're built like Andy and run a 4.33 and can't even play gunner or return kicks on ST's there is something serious wrong there.

And despite being fit all last year he only played 30 offensive snaps and had 1 target and 1 reception, despite playing 306 snaps the year before. Greg Dortch had more snaps and more targets. He might actually be WR8 in camp behind Dortch and Boldin.

I'm amazed he's still on the roster. The only plausible explanation is that Keim is trying to put off the inevitable "You took him over DK Metcalf, Terry McLaurin and Diontae Johnson?"" headlines.

I'd be stunned if he makes the 53. They should put Isabella and fans out of their misery. Let him try catch on somewhere else.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I guess. I believe he said these two or three plays “were okay.”

So glad we invested a top 15 pick on him.
Please do not remind me of the pick we used on him. I still can't get over it.

Not sure if it was just me, but I felt the GMS from quite a few teams are drafting against us. 1). Seems like every single time when the Cardinals have someone they really want, then someone jumps right ahead of us and takes that person. 2) If Carindals do not have a specific preference and are fine with a group of guys, then none of those guys seem ever to fall to us. Seems like all the teams ahead of us just took all the high-caliber player and make sure no one falls to us. Just use Collins's draft as an example, Keim stayed put, and all 15 "high caliber" players are all taken before us, not a single one of them fell. Even the analyst on air commented they saw a huge talent drop after Patriots took Jones in the 15th (Carindals picked the 16th). But this year, when Keim traded out our draft picks, then plenty of these players dropped, such as Jermaine Johnson and Devonte Wyatt.

Was it because Keim's roster-building strategy and pre-draft talk leave everyone knowing who the Cardinals are targeting in the draft?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please do not remind me of the pick we used on him. I still can't get over it.

Not sure if it was just me, but I felt the GMS from quite a few teams are drafting against us. 1). Seems like every single time when the Cardinals have someone they really want, then someone jumps right ahead of us and takes that person. 2) If Carindals do not have a specific preference and are fine with a group of guys, then none of those guys seem ever to fall to us. Seems like all the teams ahead of us just took all the high-caliber player and make sure no one falls to us. Just use Collins's draft as an example, Keim stayed put, and all 15 "high caliber" players are all taken before us, not a single one of them fell. Even the analyst on air commented they saw a huge talent drop after Patriots took Jones in the 15th (Carindals picked the 16th). But this year, when Keim traded out our draft picks, then plenty of these players dropped, such as Jermaine Johnson and Devonte Wyatt.

Was it because Keim's roster-building strategy and pre-draft talk leave everyone knowing who the Cardinals are targeting in the draft?

Nobody jumped in front of us in the 2021 draft. Zaven Collins was the highest on the board so that's who they took.

It's not as if the draft picks just behind us are full of stars that we should have taken. In fact most of them had similar or worse starts to their careers.

Probably have to go all the way back to Greg Newsome at #28 to find a player you could say has definitely done better (who isn't Najee Harris).

Zaven's going to be good, you'll see.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nobody jumped in front of us in the 2021 draft. Zaven Collins was the highest on the board so that's who they took.

It's not as if the draft picks just behind us are full of stars that we should have taken. In fact most of them had similar or worse starts to their careers.

Probably have to go all the way back to Greg Newsome at #28 to find a player you could say has definitely done better (who isn't Najee Harris).

Exactly, this was the case I was making. Every year in the draft, we saw a few "high-caliber" players fall far beyond people can imagine, but not 2021 when the Cardinals stayed put: every single one of those players was taken before the Cardinals, and when it was the Cardinals' turn, nobody left on the board was even worth the pick, and you could not trade out of the pick cause nobody wanted it either. Then times got to 2022, and a few of those "highly touted" players started to fall when the Cardinals traded out their pick.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I surely do hope so, and I feel I saw some good instincts in him. He does need to improve his technique a lot. But that doesn't mean I agree with Keim drafting him at the 16th.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly, this was the case I was making. Every year in the draft, we saw a few "high-caliber" players fall far beyond people can imagine, but not 2021 when the Cardinals stayed put: every single one of those players was taken before the Cardinals, and when it was the Cardinals' turn, nobody left on the board was even worth the pick, and you could not trade out of the pick cause nobody wanted it either. Then times got to 2022, and a few of those "highly touted" players started to fall when the Cardinals traded out their pick.

What do you want them to do? Nobody is trading for #16 pre draft. This is just how the draft works.

Zaven Collins is going to be fine. Lot's of players aren't instant studs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I surely do hope so, and I feel I saw some good instincts in him. He does need to improve his technique a lot. But that doesn't mean I agree with Keim drafting him at the 16th.

But you just said yourself everyone great was gone. Who would you have taken at #16 because I'm looking at that draft and I'd still probably take Zaven.