Cards’ Draft Position

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Rams/Cards only have 3 opponents not in common, the NFC East game, AFC East game and NFC North game. Rams had Buffalo, Green Bay and Dallas in that set while the Cards had Patriots, Minn and Philly. While Buffalo is better than NE the Minn/Philly combo is much better than Dallas/GB so I don't think its possible for the Rams SOS to get better than the Cards. We'll need both the Rams and Denver to win a game to move up.
I'm rooting for a tie in the Rams-Broncos game on Sunday at Sofi. That's gets us to third and ticks off the Lions and Seahawks. :)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would argue that the worst things that NFL franchises can do with young QBs is take players who don't support their QB. Why has Hurts evolved as a passer? Some of it has to do with being behind one of the best OL in football. Same for Mahomes. If you want your young QB to develop at the NFL level protect him and give him weapons. Defense don't matter if your QB isn't working.

While you are right Orlando Brown and Andrew Wylie both lead the league in pressures allowed this season. Mahomes handles it. You're QB also needs to be able to do that.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I'm rooting for a tie in the Rams-Broncos game on Sunday at Sofi. That's gets us to third and ticks off the Lions and Seahawks. :)
that would be good

or: the Cards need the loser of the Rams / Broncos game to win one of their remaining two games

for DEN: at KC, home vs Chargers.
for LAR: at Chargers, at SEA.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
If we're drafting top five, we'll have a chance to select an elite player.

Going to get a read on the chops and philosophy of our new GM pretty quick.

football karma

Reaction score
If we're drafting top five, we'll have a chance to select an elite player.

Going to get a read on the chops and philosophy of our new GM pretty quick.
what Kliff said yesterday: they are going to be cautious with Colt

what i heard: by playing Trace the last three weeks, we pretty much guarantee we lose out

losing out means they draft no worse than 4

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what Kliff said yesterday: they are going to be cautious with Colt

what i heard: by playing Trace the last three weeks, we pretty much guarantee we lose out

losing out means they draft no worse than 4
There's a slight implication here that Kingsbury knows he'll be back next season and is willing to go along with the plan to preserve McCoy's long-term health, decrease the likelihood of winning a game this season, and increase the likelihood of getting a player who will help win next season.

...dave

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There's a slight implication here that Kingsbury knows he'll be back next season and is willing to go along with the plan to preserve McCoy's long-term health, decrease the likelihood of winning a game this season, and increase the likelihood of getting a player who will help win next season.

...dave
Not certain, you don‘t push a questionable player nearing career end. Players hate that.

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
that would be good

or: the Cards need the loser of the Rams / Broncos game to win one of their remaining two games

for DEN: at KC, home vs Chargers.
for LAR: at Chargers, at SEA.
The other way to think about this is which team (sea in the case of Denver and Detroit who owns the rams pick) is most likely to pick one of the QBs. If we’re sitting at 4 and two QBs go in the top
3 we’ll have one of Carter/Anderson. Houston will certainly go QB while the Bears will not. For my money I’d say Seattle is more likely to go QB especially if they keep fading and miss the playoffs.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
The other way to think about this is which team (sea in the case of Denver and Detroit who owns the rams pick) is most likely to pick one of the QBs. If we’re sitting at 4 and two QBs go in the top
3 we’ll have one of Carter/Anderson. Houston will certainly go QB while the Bears will not. For my money I’d say Seattle is more likely to go QB especially if they keep fading and miss the playoffs.
I think you’re right about Houston, though they make continuously poor choices. Chicago is relatively happy at QB. I wouldn’t rule out them trading down for an overpay. They have so many needs. The same could be said for Denver. I’m thinking they beat the Rams. Assuming the Cards lose out, they’d pass Denver. The Rams would likely take a QB. They love to trade draft choices, but typically not just to acquire additional picks unless they change GMs. The wild card will be the QB evaluations. Young & Stroud are considered franchise QBs. Levis is actually Kiper’s top QB. Several evaluators think Richardson has to highest ceiling. Aside from Houston & LA, Atlanta, Indy, Carolina and New Orleans will consider moving up to grab their QB of choice. Assuming Anderson and Carter are the only non-QBs worth top 5 picks it all comes down to how many QBs go in front of them. Chicago likely thinks top Edge, Anderson, but with so many needs they still could drop down as the pool of Edges is huge. Despite not being happy at QB, I’m hearing Seattle will take Carter if he’s there. Of course if Chicago trades down, Carter could go at 2, then Seattle might go QB Or move down. Don’t assume QBs are all teams would trade up to get. DTs desperately in short supply.

Two things I’m hearing will make this a dynamic draft. Several teams are desperate for QBs. Several teams see this draft as so deep they would be willing to move down. Get ready for the fun and unpredictability.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
You know what will happen? Somehow the teams in front of our draft order WILL lose and somehow the Cardinals will win a game so we actually fall back in draft order. We can fall all the way to number 8. That is the Cardinal way! Lose by winning!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know what will happen? Somehow the teams in front of our draft order WILL lose and somehow the Cardinals will win a game so we actually fall back in draft order. We can fall all the way to number 8. That is the Cardinal way! Lose by winning!

I think we might see McSorley a bunch the rest of the year.

It wouldn't surprise me that with McCoy having a concussion and him possible needing to start some games early next season that they just shut him down and don't risk anything that might risk him for next year.

When McCoy decides to call it a day I'd love to see him come on as QB coach.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
M

...dave
McCoy beat a hapless Rams team and then proceeded to post 2 of the worst QBRs of any QB in the league in his next two starts.. it’s comical to think that the Cards would have any ideology of “preserving” a 36 year old McCoy for next season. These takes are getting more hot by the day..

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
Rams just put their starting center on IR for the rest of the year so I don't expect them to be competitive at all. It will be really interesting to see if McVay walks away at the end of the year. It seems like they may need to go into rebuild mode. I would guess we'll end up with Houston, Chicago, Detroit via Rams ahead of the Cards. In that scenario I don't see either Chicago or Detroit going QB but the potential for a trade back could be strong. Indy, Atlanta, Carolina are all right behind and are prob looking for a QB. If Carter/Anderson do go 2 and 3 then the Cards #4 pick may really become valuable as teams look to move ahead to get the QB they want.

football karma

Reaction score
curious if:

1. the Bears view Anderson as a Chase Young / Bosa brother kinda pass rusher-- the kind you stay put to take regardless of offer

2. Does the third QB (whomever that is -- Young, CJ Stroud or Levis) garner enough interest to be worth a big trade up package by somebody?

those two questions really impact the value of the #4 pick in this draft

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think you’re right about Houston, though they make continuously poor choices. Chicago is relatively happy at QB. I wouldn’t rule out them trading down for an overpay. They have so many needs. The same could be said for Denver. I’m thinking they beat the Rams. Assuming the Cards lose out, they’d pass Denver. The Rams would likely take a QB. They love to trade draft choices, but typically not just to acquire additional picks unless they change GMs. The wild card will be the QB evaluations. Young & Stroud are considered franchise QBs. Levis is actually Kiper’s top QB. Several evaluators think Richardson has to highest ceiling. Aside from Houston & LA, Atlanta, Indy, Carolina and New Orleans will consider moving up to grab their QB of choice. Assuming Anderson and Carter are the only non-QBs worth top 5 picks it all comes down to how many QBs go in front of them. Chicago likely thinks top Edge, Anderson, but with so many needs they still could drop down as the pool of Edges is huge. Despite not being happy at QB, I’m hearing Seattle will take Carter if he’s there. Of course if Chicago trades down, Carter could go at 2, then Seattle might go QB Or move down. Don’t assume QBs are all teams would trade up to get. DTs desperately in short supply.

Two things I’m hearing will make this a dynamic draft. Several teams are desperate for QBs. Several teams see this draft as so deep they would be willing to move down. Get ready for the fun and unpredictability.
Carolina is desperate.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Harry - I thought the Rams pick goes to Detroit, no?
Absolutely correct. I wrote it up right initially then reversed before I posted it. Detroit has been internally debating about Goff. I think they stay with him based on which front office guys are supporting him. That would mean they take Carter if the Bears or a trade up team doesn’t take him. It therefore seems most likely Carter is gone by the Cards pick. I think it’s about 50/50 Anderson is still on the board, but I’d trade down. Any of the options could give the Cards Bresee. Then I‘d go CB in round 2 and an Edge. The order depends on the board. Round 3 would be a Center and another OL. If some miracle left Carter for the Cards’ pick, I would take him. Then I’d take a Corner in 2 and a Center in round 3.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ideally Denver wins this weekend, and the Rams get amped to knock Seattle out of the playoffs and win in week 18.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
M

McCoy beat a hapless Rams team and then proceeded to post 2 of the worst QBRs of any QB in the league in his next two starts.. it’s comical to think that the Cards would have any ideology of “preserving” a 36 year old McCoy for next season. These takes are getting more hot by the day..
If they are preserving him, I hope its for his life after football. Until the Cards get a good offensive line, I hope he doesn't take another snap for them. He seems like a good guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson