Cardinals top-10 D?!?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most of us here, myself included, perceive the Cardinals D to be improved over last year, but still below average... middle of the pack at best. The points and yardage rankings are a bit better than i would've guessed, 13th for both. But i was surprised to read (in this article in the Athletic about how Jalen Hurts has jumpstarted the Eagles O, which has some good analysis of how the Cards defended him) that the Cardinals are 9th in overall defensive DVOA and 8th in passing defense by DVOA.

Gotta say, i'm quite surprised! Perhaps the perception of not being that good comes from the timing of the defense's failures. There's never a good time to give up a score, but it seems as though the Cardinals D gives them up in the last couple of minutes of halves, and immediately after Cardinals scores, thus shifting momentum. I don't think DVOA takes that into account. It would be interesting if there were a measure of team defense that takes into account game situations, like the QBR does for quarterbacks.

...dave

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
They’ve been pretty good points wise and that’s the main thing.

there’s no NFL defense that’s shuttling down an offense these days. It may happen occasionally but not the norm. The rules make it that way.

I’ve rarely criticized our DCs going back to Bechter.

Joseph has done a good job. He lost the arguably the defensive player of the year in Jones and has been getting tons of pressure on the QB with the likes of Golden, Gardeck, and Reddick. That’s pretty impressive.

I get angry at some plays but the guys on the other side are professional athletes too.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They’ve been pretty good points wise and that’s the main thing.

there’s no NFL defense that’s shuttling down an offense these days. It may happen occasionally but not the norm. The rules make it that way.

I’ve rarely criticized our DCs going back to Bechter.

Joseph has done a good job. He lost the arguably the defensive player of the year in Jones and has been getting tons of pressure on the QB with the likes of Golden, Gardeck, and Reddick. That’s pretty impressive.

I get angry at some plays but the guys on the other side are professional athletes too.

2019 total sacks: 40 (Chandler 19)

2020: 43 - with 2 games to go.

We gave up 52 TDs in 2019 and we're at 38 this season.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
imagine the ranking if they could defend WR screens and waggles
It's pretty hard to shutdown everything and OC's are good at scheming to the defensive weaknesses. I haven't looked at the stats but it sure seems like the TE's haven't hurt us nearly at all like they have in the past.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's pretty hard to shutdown everything and OC's are good at scheming to the defensive weaknesses. I haven't looked at the stats but it sure seems like the TE's haven't hurt us nearly at all like they have in the past.

An astute observation. Hadn't thought of that until you posted. TEs have given us fits for years and we don't even mention them now. I'm not a huge fan of Joseph but you have to give credit where it's due.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An astute observation. Hadn't thought of that until you posted. TEs have given us fits for years and we don't even mention them now. I'm not a huge fan of Joseph but you have to give credit where it's due.
Good thing beathard sucks because little is back

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes, we are light years better there, but still not good enough cause Hicks Is a liability in the middle
But I saw some progress made by Joseph using more Simmons and banjo in the middle
Banjo has been serviceable, played lot better then many who have been paid big bucks

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, we are light years better there, but still not good enough cause Hicks Is a liability in the middle
But I saw some progress made by Joseph using more Simmons and banjo in the middle
Banjo has been serviceable, played lot better then many who have been paid big bucks
lol this is a damn lie

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They had a stat in the Eagles game that showed not only we are greatly improved we are actually one of the best in the NFL against TEs. I could barely believe it!

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
With the rule changes and emergency of running qbs, there aren't shut down defenses anymore.
The 2001 raves gave up around 150 points over 16 games. Right now the dolphins are no1 in the NFL with just under 300 points allowed with 2 games remaining...

The game has changed.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Holding bad teams to low totals skews the scoring average:

WFT: 15
Jets: 10
Cowboys: 10
Giants: 7

and that’s not arguing not to count those games bc you gotta play the teams you’re scheduled to play and I’d hope you would shut down bad teams.

but then you look at points we’ve given up to good teams and it paints a picture of why a lot of us perceive the defense to be mediocre or average.

Seattle: 34
Dolphins: 34
Bills: 30
Seahawks: 28
Rams: 38

and then some middling-to-poor teams scoring maybe more than you’d expect:

Lions: 26
Panthers: 31
Eagles: 26

so we hold bad teams down to just a tad above 10pts/game but good teams average just a bit under 33pts/game and teams you’d expect to distance yourself from average almost 28 against us.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

and that’s not arguing not to count those games bc you gotta play the teams you’re scheduled to play and I’d hope you would shut down bad teams.

but then you look at points we’ve given up to good teams and it paints a picture of why a lot of us perceive the defense to be mediocre or average.

so we hold bad teams down to just a tad above 10pts/game but good teams average just a bit under 33pts/game and teams you’d expect to distance yourself from average almost 28 against us.
Rams & Dolphins did have defensive scores so those numbers are a little bit flawed but I get what you’re saying

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Every team in the league has a schedule similar though.

The Rams have played almost the same schedule.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This isn't earth shattering. Every playoff contender has better stats against bad teams as opposed to good teams. This is plain common sense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Every team in the league has a schedule similar though.

The Rams have played almost the same schedule.
Yes but against teams with a .500 or better record the rams defense gave up 23.5pts/game on average. We gave up 9-10 more per game against quality opponents.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This isn't earth shattering. Every playoff contender has better stats against bad teams as opposed to good teams. This is plain common sense.
This is true, but most other solid defenses have had at least one good defensive performance against a good offense. It doesn’t bode well for us winning in the playoffs if we do make it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is true, but most other solid defenses have had at least one good defensive performance against a good offense. It doesn’t bode well for us winning in the playoffs if we do make it.

Yes. But maybe it happens in the playoffs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson