Cardinals To Give Ex-Pro Bowler a Tryout

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
The need for PR/KR isnt there as much as it was pre-draft, in particular with Andre Roberts addition, but its still good to check out other options especially one who has been succesful at it before.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Justin Miller can't cover a lick.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
He just has to beat out Michael Adams and the other usual suspects.

Coach him up! And Donnie Henderson coached him before right?
I'd rather go to war with Michael Adams at corner than Justin Miller. He seemingly forgot how to cover as soon as he got into the league and he used to be good at returns but he suddenly lost his speed.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The guy also got arrested for punching a woman.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather go to war with Michael Adams at corner than Justin Miller. He seemingly forgot how to cover as soon as he got into the league and he used to be good at returns but he suddenly lost his speed.
Oops.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Miller actually played very well as a nickel for the Jets under Henderson two seasons ago. Then the Raiders thought he could start for them.

If we are about to run the same type of cover system, this could be a nice pick-up for depth.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
We drafted not one but two talented kick returners in their college careers respectively where they came from.Let them fight it out.They both have the speed and Stevie can take a rest this year.

Even after the draft in an article posted today CB is still the highest need on more teams than you would ever think.Lots of CB's returning from injury with question marks for many teams.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason they are giving him a tryout is to see how much he might have left as a corner. If he does well in the tryout, why not give him a shot?

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Coach Whiz is a sly guy. The worst thing that happens is our new young CB's spend a training camp learning the tricks of the trade from a former pro bowler. Even if he ends up only a dime back, his knowledge and experience will go a long way in developing the youngsters.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Coach Whiz is a sly guy. The worst thing that happens is our new young CB's spend a training camp learning the tricks of the trade from a former pro bowler. Even if he ends up only a dime back, his knowledge and experience will go a long way in developing the youngsters.

He made the pro bowl as a ST's ace. I don't know if that's what you meant.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well regardless of what happens, we don't have a shortage of possible return men.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

I doubt a guy struggling to hold on to a job would try to teach those same guys hungry to take his position.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I doubt a guy struggling to hold on to a job would try to teach those same guys hungry to take his position.

It happens all the time. Ralph Brown spent a lot of time helping Adams, Toler, and Johnson. I'm sure Whiz expects Porter and Haggans to help teach the young OLBs too.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
It happens all the time. Ralph Brown spent a lot of time helping Adams, Toler, and Johnson. I'm sure Whiz expects Porter and Haggans to help teach the young OLBs too.

Brown had a solid spot on the team when this teaching was happening and Porter now has a spot on the team. However, don't expect Porter to completely transition to a mentor spot. He stunted Cameron Wake's development last year somewhat and refused to take himself off the field in some spots. In fact, my biggest concern with Porter is that he is going to slow down Davis and Cody and be much more concerned with his own PT.

Miller is a different story, he is a few years older than the guys he is competing with and has never had to be a mentor, so I don't see why he would start doing that now. Also, he would be clinging on to one of the last few spots so it would probably be against his best interests to help anyone out who would potentially leave him jobless for the 2nd year in a row.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Brown had a solid spot on the team when this teaching was happening and Porter now has a spot on the team. However, don't expect Porter to completely transition to a mentor spot. He stunted Cameron Wake's development last year somewhat and refused to take himself off the field in some spots. In fact, my biggest concern with Porter is that he is going to slow down Davis and Cody and be much more concerned with his own PT.

Miller is a different story, he is a few years older than the guys he is competing with and has never had to be a mentor, so I don't see why he would start doing that now. Also, he would be clinging on to one of the last few spots so it would probably be against his best interests to help anyone out who would potentially leave him jobless for the 2nd year in a row.

This was last season and now Ralph is out of a job while the other 3 are still here. Besides, they don't have to actually be mentored to learn from them. Just being up close and seeing how its done goes a long way.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
IMO, we don't want Miller to be teaching anything, unless he is a "do as I say not as I do player", he struggles mightily in coverage. Maybe he will focus on learning to be a better CB in camp, thats all he needs to focus on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn