Cardinals sign left tackle D.J. Humphries to a three-year extension!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We need more then 17 million now? For what?
It's crazy - we have a ton of holes, and waited to create cap space until AFTER all the good players have signed. Just incredible logic.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's crazy - we have a ton of holes, and waited to create cap space until AFTER all the good players have signed. Just incredible logic.

It was a 'slim picking' FA class this year, and look no further than Kirk garnering $72m as proof. Better - IMO - to deal with internal housekeeping.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It was a 'slim picking' FA class this year, and look no further than Kirk garnering $72m as proof. Better - IMO - to deal with internal housekeeping.

Lol, Kirk got overpaid so the entire FA class was bad an overpaid. ok.

Not sure what you're seeing on that list, I'm seeing a lot of guys that would fill our very obvious holes.

This is a year to year league, instead of doing their work months ago, negotiating with Kyler/Hump, we sat on our hands, and now there is actually slim pickings.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lol, Kirk got overpaid so the entire FA class was bad an overpaid. ok.

Not sure what you're seeing on that list, I'm seeing a lot of guys that would fill our very obvious holes.

This is a year to year league, instead of doing their work months ago, negotiating with Kyler/Hump, we sat on our hands, and now there is actually slim pickings.

Whatever makes you feel better, and take the time to bring us up-to-date on all the negotiations that did or did not happen; you're evidently in the know.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is SO bizarre. I SWEAR I remember being told repeatedly that the Cards couldn’t do big extensions to create more cap room like other franchises because they didn’t have the money to do so.

So weird that they were able to do this…
I do believe Bidwill put the clamps on bonus money until after Kyler's contract was done. #speculation

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is SO bizarre. I SWEAR I remember being told repeatedly that the Cards couldn’t do big extensions to create more cap room like other franchises because they didn’t have the money to do so.

So weird that they were able to do this…

I thought that conversation was about UPFRONT cash?

Contracts structured in such a way that they have large initial cash payouts. We haven't seen that with Hump and don't know the structure yet.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Regarding the rest of the cap money...here is what I would do.

Re-sign Jalen Thompson.

Re-sign Zach Allen

Sign a CB. (Xavier Rhodes)

I would not add an EDGE player at this time. There isn't an impact guy available and I would rather the reps go to Thomas and Sanders. It is what it is at this point.

I would add a defensive lineman or two, but Vance didn't prioritize defensive line players when he was HC in Denver so I don't know that he is doing so in AZ. Outside of Derek Wolfe, it was Peko, Harris, Kerr, Gotsis and D Walker. (Sheldon Richardson/Eddie Goldman)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if they extend Thompson and/or Brown. Both players make under 3 mil vs the cap this year and would probably have larger cap hits due to the bonus money being spread over the contract.
It could be close, but I guess it would depend on what the signing bonuses would be.

Doubt that they resign either one anyway with all of the money that they tied up to Kyler. I don't see Bidwill shelling out another 30-50M in guaranteed money to anyone else this offseason.

But you're right. I guess I could see them converting salary to one or more players to front load it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

Re-sign Jalen Thompson.

Re-sign Zach Allen

its a good plan

i suspect neither of them -- especially Allen -- would be too expensive

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score

Re-sign Jalen Thompson.

Re-sign Zach Allen

This means we'll be "rolling the dice" with signing Byron Murphy and Hollywood for next season and beyond. I agree with making the signing of Jalen Thompson and Zach Allen our highest priority, but I'd also like to find a way to sign Murphy and Brown. The only free agent I'd bring in at this point is a cornerback...maybe two.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score

Re-sign Jalen Thompson.

Re-sign Zach Allen

I would not add an EDGE player at this time. There isn't an impact guy available and I would rather the reps go to Thomas and Sanders. It is what it is at this point.

I would add a defensive lineman or two, but Vance didn't prioritize defensive line players when he was HC in Denver so I don't know that he is doing so in AZ. Outside of Derek Wolfe, it was Peko, Harris, Kerr, Gotsis and D Walker. (Sheldon Richardson/Eddie Goldman)
I like this plan! Save whatever is left over for any free agent that gets cut during final 53 week. Someone always becomes available. Might not be an edge or CB but maybe DL help.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Re-sign him now while you can still leverage his history of injuries against him.
Absolutely.

If Allen stays healthy, he should have a decent, productive season.

I bet he'd resign for 75% or maybe a bit less than that right now. Allen will get paid a good contract if he stays healthy this year. He has the pass rush numbers to get paid.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think Allen would be a fool to sign an extension. He's in a position that waiting works for him either way. If he has a similar year in 2022 and misses a couple games I'm pretty confident the team would resign him to another contract. If he has a breakout year he would become a good commodity on the free agent market and would be smart to test it. Even if 2022 is a career year for him and he never achieves similar numbers again, he will still be able to cash in. Look at Jordan Phillips, one good year and he cashed in, unfortunately it was the Cardinals who got taken.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
The price of eggs in china seems to matter a lil more now !

cant have all stars something has to be left for the other 45 players. To me they mean at least as much as the stars combined.

even if they ain’t paid like it!

cardinal up and take it like a fan!

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

$66.8m over four years, not a three extension at this price.
$16.7m per season, not $22.3 over the next four seasons.
$17.7m in Cap space
thats a good contract for the team - his previous avg was a bit north of $14mm

DJ probably cost himself some money by agreeing to the extension -- but he also locked in certainty

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This means we'll be "rolling the dice" with signing Byron Murphy and Hollywood for next season and beyond. I agree with making the signing of Jalen Thompson and Zach Allen our highest priority, but I'd also like to find a way to sign Murphy and Brown. The only free agent I'd bring in at this point is a cornerback...maybe two.
I am not a fan in signing two starters at this point and expecting them to be better than Murphy and Wilson. I think you can get Rhodes and start him and Murphy. Wilson can come in and move Murphy to the slot. They could re-sign Alford to play the 4th CB spot but then we get into ST needs.

I am a big fan in getting answers on players so I don't mind Wilson being the #3.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

$66.8m over four years, not a three extension at this price.
$16.7m per season, not $22.3 over the next four seasons.
$17.7m in Cap space
The last year of this deal is what I referenced earlier when I said he was not likely to see the last year of his contract. It is essentially a team option year prior to him turning 32. Basically they cut him to free up 16 mil or extend him to free up space and keep him another 3 seasons.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Allen likely falls into the 6mil to 8mil range for a contract unless he falls off a cliff this year. If he produced last year the way he did with a legit injury, I would re-sign him now because if he tops last year the number goes up.

For some context...they are different players but Suh had 19 pressures last year and Allen had 18. (a pressure in this context includes hurries, knockdowns and sacks). Quinnen Williams had 16.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats a good contract for the team - his previous avg was a bit north of $14mm

DJ probably cost himself some money by agreeing to the extension -- but he also locked in certainty
He earned some of that back by negotiating his own deal

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose