Cardinals Lead League in Penalties

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
absolutely and is one expected outcome of a new coach and of a "cool" coach. KK is going to have to start being a little more of a coach and less of a cool guy in the locker room as penalties have been very high.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was ssurprised that the two teams had almost the same number of penalties. Listening to the radio call, it sounded as though the Cards were flagged far more than were Detroit

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is this a coaching issue? Penalties have absolutely killed us this year. We play very undisciplined.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/

Hell yes its a coaching issue. Its unacceptable.

Things like holding on the O-line and stuff are really hard to judge, but the Intentional Grounding, False Starts, Grabbing Jerserys on defense, and stuff like that is something that needs to be addressed real quick.

I wouldn't mind KK going hard on them as saying "If you commit a penalty that is a "mental error", you are out of the rest of the quarter.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I got lambasted (I think even threatened to be banned?) in the last game thread for blaming KK for penalties. Yet, here we are

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think Kliff spends too much time designing big brain trick plays and not enough time drilling the basics and fundamentals into the team.

Actually, one would think his job is reinforcing that mantra to his assistant coaches which I do not doubt he has because he has been citing the unacceptable amount of penalties even when we won. These are fundamental things the freaking players have been grilled on since Pop Warner football... I think this was the first game I can remember where Darrell Daniels did not make a bonehead penalty

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Is this a coaching issue? Penalties have absolutely killed us this year. We play very undisciplined.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/
Yes, but is it all on the head coach? How many coaches do the Cardinals employ? K2 does not coach every position, his coaches do. And sure, he is responsible for them. So if he starts playing this "Amos Moses is a friend of mine so I can't let him go". Then that is a huge issue. He needs to evaluate his coaches and recommend changes where needed. I agree, that is on him, and Keim, and MB.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but is it all on the head coach? How many coaches do the Cardinals employ? K2 does not coach every position, his coaches do. And sure, he is responsible for them. So if he starts playing this "Amos Moses is a friend of mine so I can't let him go". Then that is a huge issue. He needs to evaluate his coaches and recommend changes where needed. I agree, that is on him, and Keim, and MB.

head coach sets the tone for the team as far as discipline is concerned.

when you are dead last in penalty yards given up, that’s on the head honcho as far as I’m concerned.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
head coach sets the tone for the team as far as discipline is concerned.

when you are dead last in penalty yards given up, that’s on the head honcho as far as I’m concerned.
I see your point. But all coaches contribute to that. Does anyone really believe K2 says penalties are OK? He always points them out and says they must be corrected. I think hiring VJ was a huge mistake. I think it needs to start there. And yes K2 is ultimately responsible.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hell yes its a coaching issue. Its unacceptable.

Things like holding on the O-line and stuff are really hard to judge, but the Intentional Grounding, False Starts, Grabbing Jerserys on defense, and stuff like that is something that needs to be addressed real quick.

I wouldn't mind KK going hard on them as saying "If you commit a penalty that is a "mental error", you are out of the rest of the quarter.

lol oh ok.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see your point. But all coaches contribute to that. Does anyone really believe K2 says penalties are OK? He always points them out and says they must be corrected. I think hiring VJ was a huge mistake. I think it needs to start there. And yes K2 is ultimately responsible.

Kliff didn't hire VJ.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
lol oh ok.

How else are they going to get corrected? What is a coach like KK supposed to do besides bench someone who continually makes mental errors? He benched David Johnson for failing to pick up blocking assignments.

You either have superior talent making dumb penalties that hurt us, or you have inferior talent but not penalties....both hurt, but only one sends a message