Cardinals last in passing attempts to open wrs

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Parr: Murray's still looking for his first NFL win and didn't score a TD against the Ravens in Week 2, but, clearly, we feel good about the direction he's trending in. The first overall pick is the second QB since at least 1950 to throw for 300-plus yards in each of his first two career outings and he played a cleaner game against Baltimore than he did against the Lions in the season opener. Now he could use a little more help when it comes to his targets getting separation. He ranks 32nd in percentage of attempts to open or wide-open receivers, according to Pro Football Focus.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...escott-surge-in-rankings?campaign=Twitter_atn

Part of that could be on Kliff to scheme guys open, Oline not being good enough run blockers to set up play action (open wrs)/longer pass plays to develop and Keim for drafting 3 wrs(2 of the fastest, but aren't good enough to see the field). It's also possible Kyler is missing the open guy as well and making the wrong read. Idk.

As great as it was to see Kyler make those tight window/back shoulder throws. Man its hard to bank on a rookie QB consistently making those.

I like Crabtree, but for this offense I'm not sure adding another possession wr helps that much. Hope I'm wrong on that.

Right now we're really relying on Fitz's greatness and a couple of great throws from Kyler. Panthers and Seattle up next so its critically to figure out a run game/scheme guys open.

I heard Greg Cosell earlier and he talked about how good offensive coaches understand the defensive responsibilities and adjustments. They know how to counter. Its possible that Kliff is learning NFL responsiblities and what to call. The lack of separation is still a concern though.

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Parr: Murray's still looking for his first NFL win and didn't score a TD against the Ravens in Week 2, but, clearly, we feel good about the direction he's trending in. The first overall pick is the second QB since at least 1950 to throw for 300-plus yards in each of his first two career outings and he played a cleaner game against Baltimore than he did against the Lions in the season opener. Now he could use a little more help when it comes to his targets getting separation. He ranks 32nd in percentage of attempts to open or wide-open receivers, according to Pro Football Focus.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...escott-surge-in-rankings?campaign=Twitter_atn

Part of that could be on Kliff to scheme guys open, Oline not being good enough run blockers to set up play action (open wrs)/longer pass plays to develop and Keim for drafting 3 wrs(2 of the fastest, but aren't good enough to see the field). It's also possible Kyler is missing the open guy as well and making the wrong read. Idk.

As great as it was to see Kyler make those tight window/back shoulder throws. Man its hard to bank on a rookie QB consistently making those.

I like Crabtree, but for this offense I'm not sure adding another possession wr helps that much. Hope I'm wrong on that.

Right now we're really relying on Fitz's greatness and a couple of great throws from Kyler. Panthers and Seattle up next so its critically to figure out a run game/scheme guys open.

I heard Greg Cosell earlier and he talked about how good offensive coaches understand the defensive responsibilities and adjustments. They know to how to counter. Its possible that Kliff is learning NFL responsiblities and what to call The lack of separation is still a concern though.

Man you are turning up some gems. This is good stuff, and I really appreciate you posting SoonerLou!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt Kyler has overlooked open receivers. That’s what rookies do. However, if they can give him another second of protection it would help him immensely.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Without a doubt Kyler has overlooked open receivers. That’s what rookies do. However, if they can give him another second of protection it would help him immensely.

I think with a few weeks of tape of himself missing open recievers he will make the proper adjustments. He just needs to get it engrained in his mind so he sees it while he is going through his progressions.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sayin' but sayin':

If a QB targets his TE or RB a lot, those are passing attempts. denied the wideouts.

If, say, Fitz and Kirk are targeted a lot, those attempts deny throws to wide open receivers. The wide opn guys' stats may seem a bit undervalued.

Just sayin'

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

It is going to happen. O line will be fixed because Bidwill knows his reputation is destroyed if Kyler Murray gets injured seriously. He will do whatever it takes to undo the disaster created by Keim up front

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we want to give Murray better protection then start bringing in an extra lineman or use TE (or two). You can't have 4 and 5 wideouts and on dang near every snap and then also complain about not having protection. DJ hasn't looked good at pass pro either which is another reason 10 personnel isn't going to cut it every down if we want more than 2 seconds for Murray to let go of the ball.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
How much of the ranking is due to WRs not getting separation, bad oline play causing him to rush throws, or just making improper reads?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I saw a couple of very long passes that were just college under throw passes which will get swallowed up fast if he keeps doing that.

Until the league has a couple games tape on him, "which they now do" you can get away with those because they haven't zeroed in yet on what his range is but dropping high arching passes in short is NOT going to work for long unless it's followed up immediately by randomly stretching out the defense and completing a lot of long balls at the max stretch of the defender.

They will just start laying back and start winning the jump balls if he doesn't burn them deep to keep them from doing this.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
What’s the operational definition of an “open receiver?” Also, does this take into account throwing to receivers who’re covered while disregarding those who may be more open than the targeted receiver?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

I heard Greg Cosell earlier and he talked about how good offensive coaches understand the defensive responsibilities and adjustments. They know how to counter. Its possible that Kliff is learning NFL responsiblities and what to call. The lack of separation is still a concern though.

Wow this is a great post!

I will say I'm more patient this year than most because I figure it's going to take Kliff a year to catch up and Kyler a year to figure out NFL defenses.

By the end of that year we should know next year what we have but this year I figure will be pretty bad just because I don't think either of them are going to catch up to the learning curve this year.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
If our tackles keep playing this bad then its going to be hard for WRs to have time get free and we'll have to hope Kyler keeps making throws like this.

You must be registered for see images

Look how quick his release is.

I'm not really a student of QB play, but even to my untrained eye, it jumps out at you.

He was under pressure all day, but still consistently kept his eyes downfield, and made a ton of good throws.

Pretty exciting.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If our tackles keep playing this bad then its going to be hard for WRs to have time get free and we'll have to hope Kyler keeps making throws like this.

Great throw but even better reaction and catch on blanket coverage.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

LT got beat bad and RT didn't fair much better, but we are in zero personnel here. If protection is the problem bring in an extra lineman, a TE or get DJ to block better. Maybe go to 20 personnel and get our RB and FB back there sometimes. I mean you can't have 5 wideouts and not expect this to never happen.

Either 5 wide works well enough even if the OL isn't the greatest ever or it doesnt. If it isn't effective then you need to adjust the scheme because wishing we had 5 all pro lineman doesn't solve a thing. Likewise if DJ can't pick up a defender and those screens and clearouts for him aren't working then the 10 personnel that has been our mainstay might not be the most effective.

I'd love to see what we could do with 5 wide if KM had no pressure but I don't think that is reality.

I think KM is more dangerous when he has some time to make reads or coverage and/or contain to break down, so I'm not sold just yet that the pure Air Raid offense is what gives us the best production.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LT got beat bad and RT didn't fair much better, but we are in zero personnel here. If protection is the problem bring in an extra lineman, a TE or get DJ to block better. Maybe go to 20 personnel and get our RB and FB back there sometimes. I mean you can't have 5 wideouts and not expect this to never happen.

Either 5 wide works well enough even if the OL isn't the greatest ever or it doesnt. If it isn't effective then you need to adjust the scheme because wishing we had 5 all pro lineman doesn't solve a thing. Likewise if DJ can't pick up a defender and those screens and clearouts for him aren't working then the 10 personnel that has been our mainstay might not be the most effective.

I'd love to see what we could do with 5 wide if KM had no pressure but I don't think that is reality.

I think KM is more dangerous when he has some time to make reads or coverage and/or contain to break down, so I'm not sold just yet that the pure Air Raid offense is what gives us the best production.
I know this is the NFL, but what stands out to me is how I really think Lincoln Riley is a better play caller than Kliff.

Lincoln knew to have multiple TE's/sometimes a H-Back on the field for running game purposes and play action.

Although maybe Kliff is counting on Kyler to negate the flaws on the 5 wide like Manziel and Mahomes did. They would constantly scramble out of danger. Kyler is sitting in the pocket for the most part.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I know this is the NFL, but what stands out to me is how I really think Lincoln Riley is a better play caller than Kliff.

Lincoln knew to have multiple TE's/sometimes a H-Back on the field for running game purposes and play action.

Although maybe Kliff is counting on Kyler to negate the flaws on the 5 wide like Manziel and Mahomes did. They would constantly scramble out of danger. Kyler is sitting in the pocket for the most part.

Degree of difficulty.