Cardinals at Niners gameday thread 9-13-20

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is accurate. Our offensive line was pretty bad. I’m not sure it matters too much, though, because Kyler is good enough at recognizing pocket pressure and mobile enough to thrive even with an overmatched line. Very much like Russell.

The thing is that people can't complain about KK and Kyler not going deep when DJ Humphries is getting worked and not even slowing his man down. Kyler tends to get happy feet, but it makes sense when you factor in that his LT is horrible and allows almost constant pressure.

People complain that Kyler is responding to pressure that is not there, but that is a "fool me once" type of problem. When Knee Deep gives up pressure 80% of the time, its not crazy to expect Kyler to be worried about it 100% of the time. Its his blind side. The time he doesn't worry about it is the time he is risking being crumpled by much bigger person.

One of the best things I can say about Kyler in his time here is that he knows who he is. He knows he smaller than a lot of guys...and he doesn't want to take a bunch of hits. Unfortunatley for us, we decided DJ Humphries...who has been a zero his entire career, was better than an "unknown" and we hitched our rookie QB to that wagon. With him as LT, we are never going to be able to leave him 1 on 1 and let Kyler sit in the pocket and wait for routes to develop. Knee Deep is not good enough to not need pretty consistent help, and the faster KK learns this the better. Our WR are good enough route runners to get themselves open with time. We don't always need to have more guys out on routes than they can cover. Keep a TE in to help Humphries and let Hop and Fitz work themselves open.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing is that people can't complain about KK and Kyler not going deep when DJ Humphries is getting worked and not even slowing his man down. Kyler tends to get happy feet, but it makes sense when you factor in that his LT is horrible and allows almost constant pressure.

People complain that Kyler is responding to pressure that is not there, but that is a "fool me once" type of problem. When Knee Deep gives up pressure 80% of the time, its not crazy to expect Kyler to be worried about it 100% of the time. Its his blind side. The time he doesn't worry about it is the time he is risking being crumpled by much bigger person.

One of the best things I can say about Kyler in his time here is that he knows who he is. He knows he smaller than a lot of guys...and he doesn't want to take a bunch of hits. Unfortunatley for us, we decided DJ Humphries...who has been a zero his entire career, was better than an "unknown" and we hitched our rookie QB to that wagon. With him as LT, we are never going to be able to leave him 1 on 1 and let Kyler sit in the pocket and wait for routes to develop. Knee Deep is not good enough to not need pretty consistent help, and the faster KK learns this the better. Our WR are good enough route runners to get themselves open with time. We don't always need to have more guys out on routes than they can cover. Keep a TE in to help Humphries and let Hop and Fitz work themselves open.

We can only hope Josh Jones is enough good to replace him as soon as he can

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

It’s a good point about the offensive line limiting deep throws because the route tree can’t develop before Kyler has to bail or get rid of it. It probably speaks to Kirk and Isabella’s lack of targets.

That being said, Russ and Big Ben and other guys do throw deep on scramble plays so maybe Kyler just needs to take a few more risks? I like the fact that Kyler is risk averse, generally, and it’s even more of a positive trait if the defense continues playing well, but I’d like to seem him throw 4-6 bombs per game given the quality of his deep ball. It would open up middle routes for Fitz/Hop/Arnold and the backs much more if the defense had to stretch deep.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s a good point about the offensive line limiting deep throws because the route tree can’t develop before Kyler has to bail or get rid of it. It probably speaks to Kirk and Isabella’s lack of targets.

That being said, Russ and Big Ben and other guys do throw deep on scramble plays so maybe Kyler just needs to take a few more risks? I like the fact that Kyler is risk averse, generally, and it’s even more of a positive trait if the defense continues playing well, but I’d like to seem him throw 4-6 bombs per game given the quality of his deep ball. It would open up middle routes for Fitz/Hop/Arnold and the backs much more if the defense had to stretch deep.

Completely agree, but the problem is a lot of times break off routes when there is pressure and the QB starts to scramble...not head deep. They will come back to the ball and look to be a possible outlet.

What I would really like to see is some QB rollouts that are designed to get Kyler out of the pocket. His running ability will cause some defenders to get sucked in, and their man can get deep. You get Kyler rolling out to his right, and those safeties have to be really disciplined to stick with their man and not want to come up and try to stop Kyler for tucking it and picking up 20.

The Rams had some nice play action plays that got Goff rolling out. He was able to run a couple and make some quality gains through the air...and he isn't 1/10th of the running threat that Kyler is.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes yes yes. Rolling Kyler out after playaction the other way (bootleg) or after faking quick throw the other way should open up lots of space for him to have run throw options at multiple levels. Plus it reduces risk of batted balls that have led to most of his INTs (I do remember his first INT was on a pressure roll-out, but his one this last game and against Clowney last year were both from pocket throws).

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Way too much is being made about the passing game. The Cardinals just faced last year's #2 ranked pass defense. I'll wait a few weeks before I'm concerned at all.
Yep and it's not just their talent, but also their scheme. They just don't tend to give up a whole lot through the air. What we saw on Sunday was us just taking what the defense was giving us, a lot of stationary catches where guys found the soft spot in a zone and Kyler scrambling to keep drives going.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The great Jerry Rice wants us to tone down our celebration.

LOL Ok Jerry.

I think it's deserved based on how the Niners fans and the Niners organization treated this game. The Cardinals barely lost last year in both games; that's not an opponent you treat lightly.

The Cardinals have won 9 of the past 11 games against the Niners. This is a team the Cardinals have had success against.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerry Rice must have watched a different game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jerry is only slightly wrong. If SF doesn’t get the punt blocked our offense has no guarantees of getting 3 much less 7 the way it was going early. And they usually punch it in from the 1 with their running game.

They got outplayed in 2nd half by a lot but the first quarter looked bleak until the punt block.